Whats with the connectivity issue on this phone? I'm running the stock OS from AT&T .167 I believe, and the phone keeps switching between edge and 3g whenever I'm using the browser or trying to use Slacker. When ever it tries to switch, it causes a lag and sometimes disconnect on the browser or Slacker program. It will also sometimes give me a message that there is no connection after it switches so I have to keep clicking the the okay button and try to reload until it hooks up again.

Needless to say this is causing problems using the Internet and listening to music. I know the Bold browser is slower than the IPhones, but when everything is working it is at least usable. But 50% of the time I get these hangups while pages are loading and it's annoying.

From what I've been reading an OS upgrade could help this issue, but I am a bit reluctant to try...for one I've never done it, but also because I've heard of other things happening like the speaker phone shreaking, thumbnails in the photo viewer not working, etc. Will ATT come out with an official update any time soon??? I love this phone but I wish that I could just browse and listen to streaming music in peace.
    01-14-09 03:31 AM
    Can you specified the area (geographic) that this happens? Others from the area may be able to confirm or deny that this happens with their bold.

I've used my phone all over Metro Boston and many suburbs north of Boston extending into New Hampshire and have consistently had 3G signals. I've been in parts of Connecticut where it locks onto Edge, but have never had it switch back and forth like you describe.
    01-14-09 03:44 AM
    I had this issue for weeks and it simply vanished one day. Always back and forth between edge and 3g. I'm still on .167 and in my case I think it was a reception issue. Anyway it resolved itself without having to do an OS upgrade so I'm happy.
    01-14-09 04:07 AM
    AT&T has come out with an official update - 219. I get the same issues sometimes when I'm not moving, and got 3 bars with 3G, it will switch to EDGE and everything I'm doing will either hiccup or shut down... really annoying. But the OS upgrade really helped out, and it was super simple. Use the link stickied at the top of these forums and it practically installs itself. I was concerned too but when I looked on the AT&T site under downloads you get the exact same download link - they both take you to the same RIM download page. 219 is official and works... try and let us know.
    01-14-09 05:37 AM
    A few weeks ago I had that problem for a few days. I always had a good 3G signal but it just started going back and forth between 3G and EDGE. It did this for a few days and then went to 3G all the time on its own. This might have been an ATT problem. Check out the coverage area for your carrier and make sure you are in a solid 3G area.

As far as upgrading goes, I just did my first upgrade ever-went from .167 to .216. I believe that .216 (not .219) is the last official update (from AVEA). I followed the "basic procedure" from BMCCLURE937" on his post of proper uprade/downgrade procedure and it was extremely easy. (Although I added one step where I deleted the vendor.XML file. It took about 15 minutes to download the files to my PC and then another 20 minutes to install on my phone. It was actually very easy and thru this method all 3rd party apps stayed on the phone.
    .216 has much more memory. On .167 my phone settled in at 25 MB and on .216 it settles in at .40-.45 MB. The reception seems stronger although the signal strength jumps a lot from -70 to -90 but stays on 3G constantly.

I do not believe that .219 is official and if you read a lot of the posts it is full of bugs. .216 is rock-solid.
    01-14-09 06:01 AM
    I don't think it really matters what area I'm in as it does it
    all the time. I live in the north bay (marin county - corte madera) but it
    happens here at my house, my work, my friends places in the city etc. Also the majority
    of the time it says that I have a great 3g signal and it stil bounces.

If .219 is an official ATT upgrade I'd be more willing to do it, but again
    Peoples opinions are so varied on hat works and what doesn't. I suppose it wouldn't kill me to try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 11:22 AM
    AT&T has come out with an official update - 219. I get the same issues sometimes when I'm not moving, and got 3 bars with 3G, it will switch to EDGE and everything I'm doing will either hiccup or shut down... really annoying. But the OS upgrade really helped out, and it was super simple. Use the link stickied at the top of these forums and it practically installs itself. I was concerned too but when I looked on the AT&T site under downloads you get the exact same download link - they both take you to the same RIM download page. 219 is official and works... try and let us know.
    please don't post false or misleading info. .167 is the at&t OS release only.
    01-14-09 11:27 AM
    Ahh, I figured I'd have read something if ATT came out with an official OS update.

Is there any typcial time frame in which they do release updates for Blackberry's? This is my first one.
    01-14-09 11:34 AM
    please don't post false or misleading info. .167 is the at&t OS release only.
    I thought .190 was the latest OS?
    01-14-09 12:35 PM
    I thought .190 was the latest OS?
    .190 was released by AVEA and few other carriers, but ATT is still @ 167.
    01-14-09 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD