A while ago I bought an Otterbox for my Bold. I had one previously for my Curve and was very pleased with it.

This time however, I had complains that people could hear themselves if they were speaking with me. Also, I could not use the speaker phone if I had a normal conversation. A loud beep would be the result.

My "echo" and speaker phone problem were solved by removing the Otterbox. Everything work as it should be without the Otterbox.
    The Otterbox did fit perfectly within my lifestyle but as for right now my Bold is unprotected. I ordered another case for my Bold on eBay for not running around completely unprotected.

Anyone familiar with the described problems? Any solutions?
    01-12-09 04:01 PM
    The Otterbox is expensive enough to do the effort not to loose it, and that's why I do this one time bump.

Although the Otterbox is "bulky", expensive and by some considered "ugly", it's for me the very best protection around.
    01-12-09 07:58 PM
    Hmm I'm not sure but I've only had one person complain about an echo on mine. I think I read somewhere that its caused by the clear membrane covering the mic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 09:07 PM
    I have the Defender, no echo, but I can't use the speaker phone. There is a loud feedback squeal as soon as I switch to speaker phone. Without the case the phone works fine. I don't use the clear film but I put it on to try and still get the feedback. Great protection but at the cost of the speaker phone. I've contacted Otterbox TS but have not heard back yet.
    01-12-09 09:35 PM
    ...but I can't use the speaker phone. There is a loud feedback squeal as soon as I switch to speaker phone. Without the case the phone works fine...
    Don't you hate that?

It's expensive enough to have something done about this. I'm on Aruba and paid almost double the price because of S&H. I don;t want to put it on eBay because it's faulty.

Well, can't have it all.
    01-12-09 10:02 PM
    Don't tell me this. I'm expecting my otterbox defender within the next few days. I've already got past the inaugural drop with scratch on the plastic ring, but I don't like rollin without some protection.

01-12-09 10:36 PM
    Don't tell me this. I'm expecting my otterbox defender within the next few days. I've already got past the inaugural drop with scratch on the plastic ring, but I don't like rollin without some protection.

I really hope you have more luck with your Otterbox.

The Bold is an awesome but delicate phone. It must have protection.
    01-12-09 10:43 PM
    I have the Defender, no echo, but I can't use the speaker phone. There is a loud feedback squeal as soon as I switch to speaker phone. Without the case the phone works fine. I don't use the clear film but I put it on to try and still get the feedback. Great protection but at the cost of the speaker phone. I've contacted Otterbox TS but have not heard back yet.
    I had the same squeal, I updated to .221 and the squeal has gone away.
    02-27-09 09:19 PM
    I just installed the defender today, and have had no audio problems. As for the membrane, I have to live with that for a day or two to decide if it is going to work out. This is the best case I have ever had and I an willing to live with screen bubbles, but if my speakerphone becomes non-functional, it will be back to running naked in the OEM holster. (Fingers crossed)

krouac

02-27-09 09:37 PM
    As for the membrane, I have to live with that for a day or two to decide if it is going to work out. This is the best case I have ever had and I an willing to live with screen bubbles, (Fingers crossed)

krouac
    I have never used the membrane since the day I recieved my case. I ordered a Body Guardz lcd cover and love it, so much that I have used them on my whole families phones and my daughters Ipod.
    As for the case the only problem I have is with the plastic cover that shields the camera. When the flash fires on the camera it gives a glare. My answer to this was to simply remove the clear plastic cover.
    02-28-09 11:27 PM
    My wife and I both have Bolds with Otterbox cases. Neither one of us can use speakerphone with the case on and I notice whenever I talk to her I hear my voice echoing.
    03-07-09 06:19 PM
    Anyone using the impact cases also face with the echoing prob?

03-07-09 06:59 PM
    My wife and I both have Bolds with Otterbox cases. Neither one of us can use speakerphone with the case on and I notice whenever I talk to her I hear my voice echoing.
    That's exactly my problem too.

My brand new Otterbox is laying around doing nothing. Waste of money!

Previously I had a Otterbox for my Curve and had no problems whatsoever.
    03-07-09 07:04 PM
    Same here, sqeelin in speaker, and echoes

03-07-09 08:21 PM
    Echoes without activating the speakers? that sucks...
    03-07-09 08:30 PM
    No problems here except for the plastic thing covering the camera
    Voided my warranty and popped it out

Its fine now

03-07-09 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD