so since I started making and receiving calls on the Storm. people on the other end complain. "where r u" "r u in a wind tunnel" " close the car window. i cant understand u". interesting part is this is not in speaker mode. when i change to speaker mode. everyone hears me very clear. is that the case with everyone is that something in OS83. or just me?

this is not too frustrating because i really don't do much phone calls, i do lots of texting and web browsing. but its kind of annoying.

could this be the result of being on ATT instead of verizon. I doubt but u never know.
    01-12-09 03:52 PM
    I too have had complaints about this same thing, and the quality of what I hear is quite poor sometimes as well - nowhere near as good quality as my N95 and iPhone before it. Seems a little better when using 3g though
    01-12-09 04:50 PM
    Im on verizon running .75. My phone is the same way
    01-12-09 05:06 PM
    this makes me feel better. I'm fine using the bluetooth or speaker. since u will be surprised how low the number of minutes i talk is. but kind of disappointing. such a great phone.
    01-12-09 05:16 PM
    Same thing for me too! I talk to my gf (who also has a storm) the most out of anyone, and constantly we are saying to each other "Where are you!?, are you on speaker? You sound far away" We ussualy have 3 to 4 bars so it isnt the coverage. It's the storm sadly. I don't know what to do. There is also so much dust below my screen now im furious and would go to t-mobile or at&t but they don't get good coverage by me.
    01-12-09 05:36 PM
    That is very strange that people have been having problems...People have actually pointed out how well they could hear me...
    01-12-09 05:39 PM
    Lots of info - do a search...

I had the same prob - replaced my decive and issue was resolved. Im guessing some are made with a faulty microphone.
    01-12-09 05:42 PM
    I had the same issue but it fixed itself when I went to .83. I've since used 85 & now 86 and sound fine. If you're on 83 already, I'd suggest you try 86.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 05:43 PM
    I'm right there with JOE91313's reply...People actually think I'm on a hard line sometimes. No complaints at all with the quality of the calls. (Man, I hope I didn't just jinx myself!)
    01-12-09 06:22 PM
    No problem with mine. The only time people say they can't hear me is when I move my mouth away from the mic.
    01-12-09 07:16 PM
    My quality is bad and I think it is the mic considering I am understood better when on my Bluetooth

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 07:45 PM
    I'm using 0.75 and I am convinced the bad sound quality is related to the noise cancellation on the Storm. It may have been tweaked in later firmware, but in 0.75 it's bad, really bad. Everyone complains I sound muffled-- as if I'm talking through 10 layers of paper bags.

Its not as bad of a problem with a BT headset or when on speaker phone.

I really hope it's fixed in later releases.
    01-12-09 07:53 PM
    I think the poor voice quality has something to do with background noise ... ie, noise attentuation too. When I'm talking with background noise, no one complains. When I'm at home and it's quiet, people are saying "huh, what did you say?" I switched from .75 to .86 and it helped a lot.

Before I made the switch, I just cupped my hand around the mic and it was better.
    01-13-09 03:45 AM
    I have the reverse issue, its hard to hear people, they sound muffled and even distorted! when i connect VIA bluetooth to my Parrot Kit (CK3100)... JEEESS!! its very hard to hear what people are saying at all.

I think the parrot is just amplifying a bad problem. anyone else notice this

Should i return this storm????
    Last edited by gkeogh; 01-15-09 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spell check
    01-15-09 11:48 AM
    This may not be the solution to everyone's problem, but I was having the same issue. Phone worked fine in speaker mode but muffled when used as a handset. The fact that it worked better as a speakerphone would seem to indicate that the microphone is actually working correctly. Turns out that the way that I hold my phone in my right hand has me covering the microphone hole with my little finger. I'm now trying to either hold my phone differently or with my left hand.

As I said, this may not be the issue for some of you but it might help someone who holds the phone like I do with my little finger under the bottom of the phone.

-Steven
    01-15-09 12:12 PM
    I have the same problem I think the hole for the microphone is too small the iphone has like 20 holes on the microphone and sounds perfect my friend has a broken storm I may make biger hole on that and put it on my to try out
    01-15-09 12:27 PM
    They had me try a "wipe"- erased all data and reset the phone. Tried that and a few other things, nothing worked. I have to exchange for a new Storm, new one works perfectly. If you are still having this call quality issue Id return for a new one.
    01-15-09 12:43 PM
    i am also having the same problem. for those that returned it, was it free? or were you charged the replacement insurance cost?
    01-16-09 12:51 PM
    The reason for the bad sound quality is because the noise isolation feature is faulty

I'm running OS .86 and I'm pretty sure that the reason those who i talk to say I sound muffled, is because the noise isolation is still very buggy. The two mics on the phone most likely picks up my voice and "thinks" its background noise and tries to filter it out.

Only reason why all my callers say I sound muffled but CRYSTAL clear when on speaker. I assume noise cancellation is turned off while on speaker. So far this is my second phone and both have the same problem.
    01-16-09 12:57 PM
    I am on my 3rd phone. This one is fast and works great, except I still sound muffled. Again, this is not the case with speaker phone. I am holding out for the next software upgrade. This one works so well otherwise, I am afraid to return it for another one that is more buggy.
    01-16-09 02:33 PM
    As I'm searching for reasons and solutions for my very poor call quality (or so i'm told) I came upon this and may as well put my .02 cents in..

Storm #1 fantastic call quality, horrible clicking around corners, Canadian build, date 12/4/2008

Storm #2 fantastic clicking all over, horrible call quality, Mexican build, date 12/26/2008

g/f tells me I sound like I have a cottonball in my mouth. This is 'fine' for now as it's slow season for business. However, I expect to be on the phone much more than I am now in the next month or so.

Been using .85 OS on both, nothing else changed, apps or blackberry phone skin included.
    01-16-09 03:42 PM
    Hi, I am new to bb's and have a new storm. I have had very few problems with mine with the exception of the lag time between things but my dh is having a horrible time with his storm. His voice sounds muffled. What is going to .86 mean? We have both have Platform: 4.0.0.94 and App Version 4.7.0.75 (107). He went to Verizon today and they sent him on his way telling him to just do a hard reset and that might fix it (he has other problems with things not opening and/or closing).
    Any suggestions? Do you think it might be worth it to wait for the next update? He is ready to return his for a Omnia or something else.
    03-17-09 07:35 PM
    I typically switch to speakerphone. I'm happier and so is everyone else. Doctor Neutron
    03-17-09 10:03 PM
    hmm this is odd. i've tested call quality in regular mode and on speaker phone and i've been told that both are crystal clear. my GF told me my storm is clearer than my old phone (samsung alias). i'm running .75. it still erks me how some people have problems and some don't.
    03-17-09 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD