I was just checking though the messages, and there is one from Sprint in there from July 18, 2008... and I just got the phone for my mother a few days ago. Is there any reason that a message would be on the phone from months ago if it wasn't refurbished or something? I got it directly from the Sprint/Nextel retail store. Thanks!

Also, this is unrelated, but the phone usually starts up pretty instantaneously, and today my mother started complaining that it was taking a while to start up because of "pocket express updating." Is that normal?

Thank you so much!!
    Last edited by CaraP; 01-12-09 at 03:56 PM.
    01-12-09 12:21 PM
    If it was refurbished I think it would have been more numbers on there and other information. Maybe Sprint was using and someone decided not to purchase when they was trying to get it programmed and or activated. But if you feel uncomfortable with it and taking a long to start up you have 30 days from purchase to return it and get another.

On the safe side just swap it in for another.
    01-12-09 01:45 PM
    Thanks for the advice! It really does freak me out that it has that old text message in it... And the fact that after having it for only a few days, it is already starting up slow, etc. There's also a problem with the speakers where they sometimes don't play the sound, which is odd I think.

Thank you again! Any other opinions are appreciated as well!
    01-12-09 03:03 PM
    I would take that one back and get a replacement.
    01-12-09 03:06 PM
    Yeah, I'm just nervous that the other one will be worse! Is it normal that when playing Brickbreaker, the volume will be on for like 3 minutes, and then randomly shut off for another 3 minutes, and then come on for 5, shut off again for 10 mins, etc.? I mean, it shouldn't do that on its own, right? The volume on a video also didn't play, and then it randomly started halfway through the vid.

I thought she was just complaining (as usual for her HAHAH), but I've been messing around with the phone, and it seems a little 'buggy' compared to my Pearl.
    Last edited by CaraP; 01-12-09 at 03:57 PM.
    01-12-09 03:54 PM
    Well i called the store I bought it at, and the kid there said, "it's not refurbished. we don't sell refurbished phones. someone might have put the battery in and then returned it, but it isn't 'refurbished'." Ugghhh... this is such a pain. The battery was wrapped in some weird thing (that had some foreign language written on it????) too, which no Sprint/Nextel battery or phone I have ever seen had been wrapped in. I think I'm just going to bring it back to be safe!
    Last edited by CaraP; 01-12-09 at 04:43 PM.
    01-12-09 04:41 PM
    The volume on Brickbreaker on my 8330 (Verizon...OS 4.3) does that, as well. I finally noticed...it seems to happen with certain brick hits...so don't know if this is a random thing with brickbreaker, or intentionally. I don't like having the volume on that anyway, so just turned it off.

As far as the old message....what did it say? I have one from Verizon Wireless on my Berry...a standard Welcome message dated July 26th, when I bought it Dec 24th. My parents also got 8330s on the same day...hers is pink OS 4.3 like mine, his is silver OS 4.5. And as far as I know, Verizon Wireless doesn't sell reconditioned units without a disclaimer. Legally, I'm not sure they can (without the disclaimer).

I'm going to lay odds it's just when the system sent out their welcome message, and all new phones when powered up for the 1st time receive it, no matter when they're powered up.
    Mine said "thank you for activating... etc..." Did your parents' blackberries also have the verizon message on them, or just yours?
    01-12-09 04:42 PM
    Sorry, I just wanted to bump this up one last time to see if there are any more opinions on the matter before I go in later tonight to exchange it. Thanks!
    01-12-09 06:07 PM
    I am curious, too. I bought my 8330 Curve from Verizon last week. The message is dated from Aug. 7th....wondering if I should complain?
    01-12-09 07:24 PM
    My wife got me a "new" 8330 for Christmas. As I started using it I saw another person's name in four different places on it and there were no photos in the photo secion where there should have been some already downlaoded.

I asked my wife if she bought it refurbished or she said absolutely no. I called Verizon and told them I probabably could figure out who the person's name was on my 'berry before they could and they said they would take care of me.

The bottom line is someone had my b'berry before me and for whatever reason they turned it back in to Verizon. According to Verizon their employee "who is no longer with" them apparently "put the returned phone in the wrong pile" and somehow it got sold again as new.

I strongly complained and they provided me with a new (I hope it is) 'berry and threw in a car charger as well. I hope this is not a pattern here by Verizon.
    01-12-09 07:34 PM
    Are there supposed to be pictures in the preloaded pics section? Mine is empty.
    01-12-09 07:38 PM
    I don't know about Verizon but Sprint's has preloaded pics on it.

As far as the m essage being dated before you received the phone, i think it is just as the other poster said it is just when the message was generated and as soon as the phone is activated it pops up. When I changed my OS to 4.5 I got the same message with an older date. But if you are that uncomfortable I would take it back.
    01-12-09 07:49 PM
    Yeah, I'm just nervous that the other one will be worse! Is it normal that when playing Brickbreaker, the volume will be on for like 3 minutes, and then randomly shut off for another 3 minutes, and then come on for 5, shut off again for 10 mins, etc.? I mean, it shouldn't do that on its own, right? The volume on a video also didn't play, and then it randomly started halfway through the vid.

I thought she was just complaining (as usual for her HAHAH), but I've been messing around with the phone, and it seems a little 'buggy' compared to my Pearl.
    take it back and get another one, they should give you a "BRAND NEW" phone since you've only had this phone like a day or so.
    01-12-09 07:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD