I have posted this over at BB Forums but clearly this forum needs it too.

I found that the underlying cause of the reboots and freezes is the SIM card. On two successive Storms (first one was replaced to get a second production run unit) I experienced the spontaneous reboots (i.e. whenever it wanted) and various freezes.

I had read that getting Verizon to unlock the SIM card resolved the problem (It doesn't). I have also read that the ISM card is not necessary as long as you stay in the US. SO, I pulled the SIM card. The reboot and freeze problem stopped immediately. The first phone went about 2 weeks with a reboot or freeze. When the replacement phone came in, after a day of freezes and reboots, I pulled the SIM card. There have been no reboots or freeezes since I did this. Try it. You can always replace the ISM card. 73
    01-11-09 08:23 PM
    And this is with Storms from Verizon?
    01-11-09 08:26 PM
    Pretty interesting.
    01-11-09 08:27 PM
    I havent had any freezing or rebooting but I will definatly keep that in mind. Thanks bud
    01-11-09 08:37 PM
    Good post, I will keep it in mind should I start to have that problem. Fortunately, I have not seen those symptoms yet.
    01-11-09 08:47 PM
    Can anyone else confirm this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 08:59 PM
    I pulled the SIM card from my wife's Storm tonight, she has been getting 1~2 freeze ups a day. I'll let you know our results.
    01-11-09 09:01 PM
    How can the phone work without a Sim card?

01-11-09 09:07 PM
    Very interesting, might try this since i keep getting those damn reboots.
    01-11-09 09:07 PM
    How can the phone work without a Sim card?

The sim card is for use on GSM networks. Verizon is CDMA and doesn't require the sim card.
    01-11-09 09:12 PM
    So I can just pull the SIM card out and the freezing and random reboots will stop? Should I power the phone down before pulling it out? Without the SIM card the phone will only work in the U.S. right? If I were to leave the country I could simply just install the SIM card again and be all set?
    01-11-09 09:31 PM
    Sorry, I had to run an errand. Yes, my Storm is a 9530 from Verizon, running .85

You absolutely must pull the battery before pulling the SIM card. You can always reinstall it (with the battery pulled)

A number of users at BBF have tried this with success but you will have to be your own judge as to whether you want to try this.

Ylexot is correct about the SIM card. It is only used when you want to go onto a GSM network. These are predominantly in Europe.

I offer this solution in the spirit of this forum. I have found something that works and want to share it. I am a supporter of the Storm in spite of its problems. I think that the hardware platform is basically sound and once RIM fixes the OS , it will be regarded as a great phone. I will point out that the early experiences with the iPhone were not particularly great either and that phone has matured into a very solid platform.

This phone marks a new design evolution for RIM. While I chastise them for releasing the phone too soon, that doen't mean I don;t like iut and appreciate the advanced capabilities it brings. Even though it was developed as a "personal" phone, I find it far surpasses the other BB "business models". The web browsing experience alone makes it worth the effort. I never used the browser in my other BB as it was stupid, slow, and hard to see. This browser with the large display makes mobile web practical. Apple recognized this with the iPhone. Rim has recognized it with the Storm. Palm just came out with a large screen model as have most of the other manufacturers. This should tell you something.

Please report your experiences so that others can benefit. Thanks 73
    Last edited by hudres; 01-11-09 at 09:39 PM.
    01-11-09 09:33 PM
    Although this might be a solution in a lot of cases, unfortunately this will not solve some peoples reboots.
    My first storm I had, I took out the sim card right of the bat but I kept getting plenty of reboots. I tried everything including all the os versions and everything suggested on this forum.
    My new storm has not had a single reboot according to my help me screen as well as me seeing it.
    So although the majority of these reboots are probably software related there are some that have a hardware defect.

01-11-09 09:52 PM
    I just pulled mine and yes I confirm it runs no freeze I am running .85 and I was getting media card freeze/verizon screen freeze and I have been running without sim card in for an hour and no freezing
    01-11-09 10:35 PM
    I just pulled mine and yes I confirm it runs no freeze I am running .85 and I was getting media card freeze/verizon screen freeze and I have been running without sim card in for an hour and no freezing
    Would you please update us tomorrow? Thanks. 73
    01-11-09 11:09 PM
    Although this might be a solution in a lot of cases, unfortunately this will not solve some peoples reboots.
    My first storm I had, I took out the sim card right of the bat but I kept getting plenty of reboots. I tried everything including all the os versions and everything suggested on this forum.
    My new storm has not had a single reboot according to my help me screen as well as me seeing it.
    So although the majority of these reboots are probably software related there are some that have a hardware defect.

You may want to check and see if the build date of your unit was 12/21 or before. RIM instituted a change on the 22nd and this fixed some hardware issues. Verizon was kind enough to send me a new phone from the second batch. The date is found on the lower right corner of the box panel with all the codes on it. 73
    01-11-09 11:12 PM
    Thanks for the heads up. Infortunately, this will prolly work foe some and not others. There is a WIDE threshold in terms of how different one storm is from another. The variety of got-a-lot-of-issues to have-no-issues-from-day-one is proof of this IMO.

Cheers
    01-11-09 11:26 PM
    This works. I just reloaded .85 and removed the SIM card and turned my phone on and off 4 or 5 times without 1 issue. Before it wouldn't turn back on once without the media card freeze up and the verizon screen of death. Thanks bro...
    01-11-09 11:39 PM
    No problems here with any of the 3 Storms I've owned, and kept the SIM card in all of them. If I have any trouble, I will try this though. Thanks.
    01-12-09 12:19 AM
    Will this fix the video freezing issue too?
    01-12-09 12:22 AM
    I am reporting back on my storm performance after leaving out my SIM card. WOW so far my storm is running faster GPS locks quick and weatherbug GPS really locks quick. Landscape to portrait runs smooth. Now if its the SIM card causing problems wouldn't this have been fixed. I am reporting on how my storm runs without SIM card and will keep you all posted later as I will be using my storm more today as I only pulled it last night around 9 pm.
    01-12-09 07:53 AM
    I wonder if the Storm even looks at the sim card if you have it set to CDMA only...

(BTW, that's Options->Mobile Network->set Network Technology to 1XEV)
    01-12-09 08:06 AM
    I took mine out, so I'll see if it makes any difference.
    01-12-09 10:13 AM
    Good info. I haven't had frequent reboots with the SIM card in but if I do I will try this fix.
    01-12-09 10:32 AM
    anyone have a pic of where its located?
    01-12-09 09:16 PM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD