OK. Like the title says, I own an iPhone 3G but am debating whether or not to get the BB Bold. Now, I am an Apple fan; I own an iPod, Macbook Pro, and use MobileMe (and have used the iPhone since the first gen's launch).

But, I'm starting to get really annoyed with the iPhone. Push email blows, my internet works only half the time, and the touch screen keypad is just plain awful..

I know exactly what I would miss if I got rid of the iPhone: iPod, Safari [when it works], certain apps [Shazaam, Pandora, the free iTunes Remote], easy syncing with MobileMe and iTunes, and threaded SMS.

But since iTunes got rid of DRM (and all of the albums I'd want to transfer to a BB are now DRM free), I feel like I can make the switch. I don't really care about the internet (although it is great when it works). Plus, I only use MobileMe for email (I don't use the upload pictures stuff), and since I'm fine with using Mark/Space for syncing contacts, I feel like I can get by with my GMail account.

So, long post short, is it worth it for me to switch? Are there apps similar to Pandora, Wikipanion (coincidentally, the Wikipedia app), and is there a decent threaded SMS app? Also, since I'm on the iPhone 3G plan, can I just pop in my sim card into a Bold and use the BIS service?

I have a feeling I'll just buy the Bold on eBay and test it out, and if I don't like it just sell it right back. I just don't feel like wasting the money.

Any advice would be appreciated!!
    01-11-09 04:21 AM
    I have both the iPhone 3G and the Bold and I think the Bold is a great phone and you won't be missing out too much, because the Media app is great, and so is the browser.

No the BIS won't work if you're on an iPhone 3G plan. You'll need a BlackBerry plan.

Also, for me, I use the iPhone 3G and Bold on the BB data plan, that way, I don't lose features on either devices.
    01-11-09 04:25 AM
    OK. Like the title says, I own an iPhone 3G but am debating whether or not to get the BB Bold. Now, I am an Apple fan; I own an iPod, Macbook Pro, and use MobileMe (and have used the iPhone since the first gen's launch).

But, I'm starting to get really annoyed with the iPhone. Push email blows, my internet works only half the time, and the touch screen keypad is just plain awful..

I know exactly what I would miss if I got rid of the iPhone: iPod, Safari [when it works], certain apps [Shazaam, Pandora, the free iTunes Remote], easy syncing with MobileMe and iTunes, and threaded SMS.

But since iTunes got rid of DRM (and all of the albums I'd want to transfer to a BB are now DRM free), I feel like I can make the switch. I don't really care about the internet (although it is great when it works). Plus, I only use MobileMe for email (I don't use the upload pictures stuff), and since I'm fine with using Mark/Space for syncing contacts, I feel like I can get by with my GMail account.

So, long post short, is it worth it for me to switch? Are there apps similar to Pandora, Wikipanion (coincidentally, the Wikipedia app), and is there a decent threaded SMS app? Also, since I'm on the iPhone 3G plan, can I just pop in my sim card into a Bold and use the BIS service?

I have a feeling I'll just buy the Bold on eBay and test it out, and if I don't like it just sell it right back. I just don't feel like wasting the money.

Any advice would be appreciated!!
    well instead of pandora you can use flycast or slacker both free and great using as we speak umm i dont believe there is threaded sms :/ its a drag but its not that bad its partly threaded so it aint like a regular phone where you have to remember what the other user said.

You can use mobileme for your email and gmail at the same time if you want you just have to set it up and its extremely easy. To convince you the browser is good if you just want to see like the main headline of a certain webpage and get on with your like but not great for long periods of time i guess.Background apps you can listen to radio and txt message and you cant on the iphone . Plus everything is pushed myspace,facebook everything. so you wont miss anything . From being an iphone user the blackberry rocks plus its faster
    01-11-09 05:19 AM
    It is a lot better, has cut and paste. You can change the battery and the media card. It is not made by Apple.
    01-11-09 05:22 AM
    I have both I love the iphone but got very board i got a bold and I love it as well. I took the sim card out the iphone and placed it in the bold changed to a blackberry plan and I just use the iphone as an ipod touch now the only thing you wouldnt be able to do is make a call or text but as long as your in a wi-fi area you can still do everything else. All apps are fully functional and email is also available via wi-fi. Together they are the perfect phone. Plus you'll love copy and paste mms and a several other things the bold can do and the iphone can't because apple is just dragging there feet and for some reason will not add key things in a simple update that they're capable of doing anytime the want to but, for some reason they choose not to.. I got one of craigslist brand new for like $300 new, I sort lucked up...
    01-11-09 06:04 AM
    i had an iPhone and have made the jump to BB Bold, im so glad i switched. It has a lot of stuff that iPhone cant do. Im not saying its not a great phone, but FOR ME it didnt suite my needs
    01-11-09 06:29 AM
    You are already convinced!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 09:10 AM
    It is a lot better, has cut and paste. You can change the battery and the media card. It is not made by Apple.
    +1 ... lol. To the OP, sounds like you have already convinced yourself

I too tried an iPhony when they first came out and I could not believe how many awesome BB features I was used to that were missing. The iPhone is definitely sexy but it is too proprietary like all apple products. Also, can't take the battery out how dumb is that?

Get a Bold and you won't be sorry!
    01-11-09 09:13 AM
    I woke up this one morning, sold my iphone 3g, and purchased a BOLD unlocked on ebay. Why did I do it? That morning I went on to modmyifone.com and the first thing I saw was a new app called "ocarina." Also posted was a video of five or six kids sitting in a circle blowing their iphone (playing the ocarina). Immediately I posted my iphone on Craigslist and sold it within an hour.
    I thought that was the most childish thing to do.

Forgot to mention. I am also a Mac. Got rid of my PC's right after I bought my Macbook. But when it comes to phones, BlackBerry is the way to go.

Last edited by syang870; 01-11-09 at 09:27 AM.
    01-11-09 09:24 AM
    I woke up this one morning, sold my iphone 3g, and purchased a BOLD unlocked on ebay. Why did I do it? That morning I went on to modmyifone.com and the first thing I saw was a new app called "ocarina." Also posted was a video of five or six kids sitting in a circle blowing their iphone (playing the ocarina). Immediately I posted my iphone on Craigslist and sold it within an hour.
    I thought that was the most childish thing to do.

Forgot to mention. I am also a Mac. Got rid of my PC's right after I bought my Macbook. But when it comes to phones, BlackBerry is the way to go.

I agree, better to distance yourself from people like that
    01-11-09 09:28 AM
    I don't see the big deal about not having a removable bettery. How many people carry a spare bold battery anyway? The only reason I need to remove my 8900s batt is for the odd pull to correct an error every once in a while.

01-11-09 09:32 AM
    The iphone blows goat testees.

Did I convince you?

01-11-09 09:44 AM
    I don't see the big deal about not having a removable bettery. How many people carry a spare bold battery anyway? The only reason I need to remove my 8900s batt is for the odd pull to correct an error every once in a while.

I do. I have one in my glove compartment. I'm a heavy user. I don't use it all the time but its there when I need it.

01-11-09 09:46 AM
    I've used my brother-in-law's iPhone and helped him with setup, etc. Some features are slick, but the touchscreen keypad is a pain. I can type 3X as fast with the Bold. Productivity = Bold, hands down.

For me, the MobileMe replacement is a hosted BES. I use the TheMessageCenter and the system is terrific. Push email, calendar sync, contacts sync, etc. You'll spend twice as much for a good system, but for me, it's worth it to have a unified and seamless system.

You can find a good list of hosted BES providers at the following link - list is in menu, down and on the right.

The truth behind Skype for the BlackBerry | BB Geeks (See "Hosted Exchange")
    01-11-09 10:24 AM
    I have a picture that will persuade you. Give me your #, I'll send it to your iPhone. .

01-11-09 10:28 AM
    I have a picture that will persuade you. Give me your #, I'll send it to your iPhone. .

Well played sir, well played.
    01-11-09 10:33 AM
    I am a die hard apple fan. I own several macbooks and an iMac. I waited on line for the 2G and 3G phone. Having said that I am also a productive person and need to be able to work on my handheld first and play second. I got a Bold in December and never have been happier. I gave my 3G to my wife and use her old 2G iPhone as a toy/ipod without a data plan. Still gets wifi so can do some pretty much anything when wifi is around. I tried to make things work business wise with my iPhone including MobileMe which is an epic fail. It cant be used with a corporate BES network and goes down a lot.

If you switch, you will find you wont miss the apps on the iPhone. I also moved all my DRM-free music to my Blackberry Bold and the berry's media player works great and the BB has better speakers. The berry tracks SMS messages easy enough you will know who sends what. Plus you can use blackberry messenger and AIM - and guess what? They work in the background meaning you can get IM's while doing other stuff. Something Apple will never allow.

Bold has gps maps like google maps which, in my opinion, works better than the iPhone version. There are plenty of other very useful apps with more on the way.

The only thing you may miss is surfing the web. The Bold does download the full web page the way the iPhone does. Thats the only negative.

Try going Bold only for a while and leave the 3G without a plan and use as an ipod touch. You will find after a few weeks you dont need or miss the iphone features and soon will be able to put it on ebay and make money on the deal.
    01-11-09 10:44 AM
    simply and stereotypically summarised:
    junkies use iphones, which is why i see iphones EVERYWHERE now... even more than the motorola RAZRs back then...
    the bold is for high-class demanding individuals with good taste =)
    i've noticed that snowboarders have iphones while the skiers have bolds...

no, but honestly, the ONE AND ONLY thing that blows on the bold is the browsing... nothing really beats the iphone in that matter...
    01-11-09 11:44 AM
    Actually browsing on the Bold isnt that bad at all! Its much better then I thought it would be. Pages render damn near close to perfect. But still not as good as the iPhone 3g, I know.

Now to preface, I use a MacBook Pro at home and I use a iPod touch for music.

BOLD:
    Excellent QWERTY keypad
    Good RF
    Good sound quality
    Beautiful screen
    Decent build quality
    MMS
    Stable OS
    Tons of updates and betas
    Plenty of 3rd party apps (Aim, Yahoo, facebook, Google, etc)
    Background apps
    Removable battery
    EMAIL duh lol

iPhone 3G
    Browser
    iTunes integration
    Cool OS

Seriously? Thats all I can think of for the iPhone. Hands down its the Bold!
    01-11-09 12:11 PM
    Question - how does threaded texts on Bold differ from what you get on the Iphone. I have Bold, and wife has Iphone, and I can't spot the difference.

I would also say that the Iphone touch screen is much better than the Storm in my opion. Perhaps the OP has a faulty one, or touch screens are not for him. They are definitely not for me, I can't get them to work! But the Iphone is the best one I've seen.
    01-11-09 12:33 PM
    Question - how does threaded texts on Bold differ from what you get on the Iphone. I have Bold, and wife has Iphone, and I can't spot the difference.

I would also say that the Iphone touch screen is much better than the Storm in my opion. Perhaps the OP has a faulty one, or touch screens are not for him. They are definitely not for me, I can't get them to work! But the Iphone is the best one I've seen.
    Open a text from someone on your Bold, you will see only THEIR text and none of your responses. So I guess its one sided? Im pretty sure on the iPhone you see it just like as if you were chatting with someone on AIM o YM. Both the other person and your responses will be shown.
    01-11-09 12:40 PM
    KDM. I can open any SMS or MMS in my Bold and I can see the chat.
    My msg and sender msg. Not as beauty as the iphone, but is there. Same as emails. Also I can search, use folders and FORWARD any mms or sms.

Last edited by xattica; 01-11-09 at 12:51 PM.
    01-11-09 12:48 PM
    KDM. I can open any SMS or MMS in my Bold and I can see the chat.
    My msg and sender msg. Not as beauty as the iphone, but is there. Same as emails. Also I can search, use folders and FORWARD any mms or sms.

Oh yeah you're right not sure what I was thinking or seeing lol. I guess its just not as pretty on the Bold.

01-11-09 12:53 PM
    I have to say that you folks have convinced me that when I upgrade, it will be to the Bold. I was torn between the IPhone, the Bold and the Storm. I did not like the way the Storm reacted when I tried to do a text message, seems that I was always hitting the wrong keys,(big thumbs I guess). I got it narrowed down to the IPhone and the Bold, and you folks have made my mind up. Thanks
    01-11-09 01:35 PM
    Good deal. Now go vote for the Bold on the Cracky poll
    01-11-09 01:38 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD