I just recieved my new 8900 and I'm pretty happy with it. Except the trackball. I have to push down a good bit before I can roll it to the left all other directions are fine. Is this a defect or is it simply a matter of taking the trackball apart and cleaning it? It was this way right out of the box. I don't want to send it back so if there is a solution I would be happy to know it, thanks.
    Is there any tutorial yet on how to remove the trackball yet? I watched the video on the help and how to's on total dissembly and they had it almost completely apart before they removed the trackball. Hopefully its not that complicated.
    01-10-09 09:39 AM
    If you just got it, i would send it back...
    01-10-09 09:40 AM
    There have been reports of the TB being a pain to move and select things. And with it also feeling "tight". It is lower than on older Gen Curves, so as long as that's not it, you might want to call your carrier.
    01-10-09 09:53 AM
    Agreed, if you've just purchased the phone then you may as well exchange it as a defect. Opening your phone voids any future warranty and if you're within the time frame, you may as well exchange it with whoever you purchased it from.
    01-10-09 10:00 AM
    There have been reports of the TB being a pain to move and select things. And with it also feeling "tight". It is lower than on older Gen Curves, so as long as that's not it, you might want to call your carrier.
    So will it loosen up with use? Its not to bad its just not as easy as rolling in the other directions. Pushing down on the trackball feels harder then I'm used to also. The blackberry key and the back key are also hard to push. I'm starting to wonder if its just a 8900 thing. I can live with it if I know everything will loosen up. I bought it unlocked online and not through my carrier so it would be kinda of a pain to send it back.
    01-10-09 05:55 PM
    the question i still have

is if the trackball is infact

the atomic trackball we were told about
    01-10-09 10:38 PM
    So will it loosen up with use? Its not to bad its just not as easy as rolling in the other directions. Pushing down on the trackball feels harder then I'm used to also. The blackberry key and the back key are also hard to push. I'm starting to wonder if its just a 8900 thing. I can live with it if I know everything will loosen up. I bought it unlocked online and not through my carrier so it would be kinda of a pain to send it back.
    Ehh, I would still try to return it and see if the new one has those problems too. Even if you have to wait a few days without your 8900 (I know it's hard) it'll be worth not having a broken one.
    01-11-09 12:08 AM
    Just as an fyi, the trackball is indeed loosening up with more use. I would also like to know if this is the new "atomic" trackball. I seen some posts about the atomic one having lasers. Is that for real?
    01-11-09 04:51 PM
    The trackball is new and different, but it is not the Atomic Trackball. The Atomic Trackball did not make it through development and testing prior to the release of the 8900.
    01-11-09 05:32 PM
    should exchange it and get a new one.
    01-11-09 09:26 PM
    Yup I would do it.. i think give it a few more days to see if it keeps loosening up a bit.. but any longer than that, take it back. I do seem to remember mine being a bit stiffer when brand spanking new but it didn't last longer than a day or two.

bit off topic but referring to the above... what devices DO come with the atomic trackball from BlackBerry?
    01-11-09 10:16 PM
    None yet. I'd guess the magnum will if the atomic version is ready then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 01:36 AM
    I just got my 8900. Everything seems fine except it is very difficult to move the trackball down. Up, Left, Right....fine. In order to go down I have to push hard.

Anyone else with this problem?

sprke81 - did you end up sending yours back?
    01-22-09 03:57 PM
    I feel lucky that I haven't had the trackball issues. if anything, mine was too loose when first playing with it, and has tightened up to the perfect grip since then.
    01-22-09 04:09 PM
    I think I may have got a dud....hopefully it will loosen up.

I don't have to return it within 14 days due to defect do I? I would think that defects would be covered for a longer period of time.
    01-22-09 04:20 PM
    if you want to return it to T-Mobile, I believe it must be done within the 14 days. To Blackberry would be a year.
    01-22-09 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD