I'm somewhat new to blackberrys, and i tried to search around but couldn't find the answer...

Is it possible to send an SMS text over 180 characters? I know with my old phones, it would just send them as multiple messages tied together, so i could send a message over 180 characters to another Verizon phone.
    01-09-09 01:11 PM
    Sorry but no it isnt people have been complaining about, and I dont care for it either. You can send a MMS or email if you need to type more characters. Welcome to CB.
    01-09-09 01:16 PM
    Fairly new myself to CB and blackberry's all together. What i've learned is that there is no way to type a text msg over 180 char. long. Sorry..... i guess just call the person or send it as e-mail if the other person carries the web.
    01-09-09 01:17 PM
    I don't want to be nit-picky or rude, however, did you actually search or are you just saying you searched?

Because I just did a simple search involving the exact words of your subject ("sms text size"), nothing more, and the 11th search result revealed this very informative thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sms...=sms+text+size

There are some topics where searching is a complicated process involving a lot of carefully executed keywords....but most, like this one, involve just putting the subject line into the search box and seeing what pops up. You should have done that.
    01-09-09 01:18 PM
    I did do that - thanks for being rude about it to a new user.

Searching for "SMS Text" did not bring up what I was looking for, and forums generally have bad search engines when typing in more than 1 or 2 keywords (I'm a mod on a car forum, and we get it all the time).

Thanks Brothamoveson for the helpful response.
    01-09-09 01:22 PM
    I don't want to be nit-picky or rude, however, did you actually search or are you just saying you searched?

Because I just did a simple search involving the exact words of your subject ("sms text size"), nothing more, and the 11th search result revealed this very informative thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sms...=sms+text+size

There are some topics where searching is a complicated process involving a lot of carefully executed keywords....but most, like this one, involve just putting the subject line into the search box and seeing what pops up. You should have done that.
    But you are. He got his question answered. To start a post with:
    I don't want to be nit-picky or rude
    Is exactly what you meant to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 01:24 PM
    I did do that - thanks for being rude about it to a new user.

Searching for "SMS Text" did not bring up what I was looking for, and forums generally have bad search engines when typing in more than 1 or 2 keywords (I'm a mod on a car forum, and we get it all the time).

Thanks Brothamoveson for the helpful response.
    I understand that, but I actually typed "SMS Text size", not "SMS Text" originally, as I said. However, "SMS Text" would have worked fine. Make sure in the future, you specify the Storm forum, since perhaps just searching that query in every subforum brought up a bunch of useless results.

Trust me, I'm not being rude. I could have posted in huge, red blinking font "USE SEARCH YOU *****" or uploaded some witty-but-insulting graphic, as others have done in the past, but I decided not to. And I was helpful, because I could have just told you to do a search without providing a search result, as others have done in the past, but I decided to just perform the search myself in order to save you the trouble of doing it.
    01-09-09 01:26 PM
    Make sure in the future, you specify the Storm forum
    This is not just a STORM issue. The others forums have useful info for all BBs that are not model specific. People can learn a lot by stepping out of model specific threads.

01-09-09 01:30 PM
    But you are. He got his question answered. To start a post with:

Is exactly what you meant to do.

My intent to be rude does not have much bearing on this poster's interpretation of my action as being rude. They're exclusive from one another since I cannot control how he chooses to interpret what I write. So actually, I meant exactly what I said, which is that I intend not to be nit-picky or rude.

This is not just a STORM issue. The others forums have useful info for all BBs that are not model specific. People can learn a lot by stepping out of model specific threads.

Certainly true and duly noted, however, the OP said specifically that he searched for the same term I did and he did not find what he was looking for, which implies that his results were different from mine. Since I found the 11th result as informative from limiting my thread to the Storm forum, I suggested he do the same in order to obtain results similar to mine.
    01-09-09 01:32 PM

it won't let me post the link lol...

hmmm, i don't want to be nit-picky or rude either, but i did exactly what you just described. I clicked on search forums and entered "sms text size." Based on the time of your original post (2:18 pm) there is no way it was the 11th thread, seeing as how when i did it, it was nearly at the bottom of the page....?

i am also a new user, and perhaps (!) it would have been more helpful to just point a URL to the thread you mentioned, rather than pointing out the fact that you believe he/she did or did not search. I just joined this site today and i can assure you that due to careful combing through of just the new post board there are numerous multiple questions asked through various threads.

This is the first response i've seen that read like that.

Just my two cents.
    01-09-09 01:34 PM
    it won't let me post the link lol...

hmmm, i don't want to be nit-picky or rude either, but i did exactly what you just described. I clicked on search forums and entered "sms text size." Based on the time of your original post (2:18 pm) there is no way it was the 11th thread, seeing as how when i did it, it was nearly at the bottom of the page....?
    Sure! No problem. I have attached a screen shot highlighting my search terms (it separates them as "sms, text, size" when actually I just input "sms text size" into the search box) and the 11th result highlighted (which would actually be the 10th result not including this thread showing up as a result). The reason that the result is "nearly at the bottom of the page" is because there are only 13 search results.

i am also a new user, and perhaps (!) it would have been more helpful to just point a URL to the thread you mentioned, rather than pointing out the fact that you believe he/she did or did not search. I just joined this site today and i can assure you that due to careful combing through of just the new post board there are numerous multiple questions asked through various threads.
    Well, normally, I might just post the link, but the OP specifically said that he had conducted a search. Since I conducted a very reasonable search myself and found the result in just a few seconds, I could not wrap my head around how the OP could have performed a similar search and found no useful results. That is why I raised the issue.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-09-09 at 01:44 PM.
    01-09-09 01:41 PM
    however, you also said that you had to do an advanced search to find it as the 11th thread.

As this is a fairly standard BB issue, i myself would not have looked into the specific BB model thread either.

All I am trying to point out here, is there really is no need to discuss the validity of his searching skills. He had a question and someone answered it.

Period.
    01-09-09 01:44 PM
    however, you also said that you had to do an advanced search to find it as the 11th thread.

As this is a fairly standard BB issue, i myself would not have looked into the specific BB model thread either.

All I am trying to point out here, is there really is no need to discuss the validity of his searching skills. He had a question and someone answered it.

Period.
    The only reason I conducted an Advanced Search is because the basic search does not allow me to filter my results to the Storm forum exclusively. If I could have selected the Storm forum from the basic search panel, I certainly would have.

To be fair, I conducted a search using the basic search box with the words "sms text size", which were the OP's exact title words, and the informative result was the 34th result. Certainly not the 11th, but not exactly an unreasonable amount of scrolling down the page to locate.

The problem with merely asking a question without conducting even a rudimentary search is that it simply clogs up the forum. It causes the OP to wait until someone replies to his post when a search taking several seconds would have revealed the answer, and it also causes the other readers to wade through a lot of repeated discussions in order to find ones that reveal new information or attack new problems and are not just rehashes of problems that were discussed, solved and effectively closed perhaps days or even weeks before.

Perhaps I am more sensitized to this issue, because even though I've only been here for a few weeks, I've become very annoyed and distracted with people just registering an account and asking basic questions that have been address several or even a dozen times ("How to make my blackberry browser run faster?" comes to mind). If you spend a little bit of time here, you will begin to see the same questions asked over, and over, and over.

When I was here for about a week and it was clear that people wanted Storm Themes but that the company who releases the SDK to make them (Plazmic) was not doing so until at least another few months, the responses by "regulars" to "newbie" posters who asked about Themes without searching beforehand was so brutal and offensive that it makes my posts seem like they were written by the hand of Mother Theresa herself. But since the turnover here is so high (always new Storm users coming in and "experienced" users having found all the information they need and leaving), people don't realize what it used to be like.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-09-09 at 02:01 PM.
    01-09-09 01:52 PM
    That's enough about searching. Drop it please. Keep it on topic or it'll be closed. Thanks.

01-09-09 01:56 PM
    holy crap if you would have just answered the man's question and avoid this bickering, there wouldn't have been all this negative tention on this awesome forum!
    01-09-09 02:00 PM
    You guys trip me out with all this "SEARCH SEARCH" stuff when all your trying to do is keep from having to repeat the same stuff over and over but yet when see a thread like this you still come and answer the persons question and then get mad because they didn't search. kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Wouldnt you just want to ignore the thread entirely and maybe if they don't get any responses they will have nothing left to do but SEARCH!
    01-09-09 02:14 PM
    Loud Noises!

01-09-09 02:23 PM
    My phone just automatically goes onto thz next message and sends it as a long one.

01-09-09 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD