A buddy of mine at work was looking at my storm and I was checking out his 88XX. He is on AT&T, but was talking about wanting a Storm. I told him if he didn't want to change carriers that a Bold would be a great upgrade for his current device and he told me that AT&T has a Storm in the store he goes to. I tried to tell him that the Storm is currently exclusive to Verizon but he assured me I was mistaken. So I told him that if he can find an AT&T Storm then he should buy it and sell it on EBay because an anomaly like that has got to be worth some money. Hehe These are the kinds of discussions you have at work when it's 3:30 in the morning.
    01-09-09 03:37 AM
    AT&T doesn't offer a Storm, but you can use Verizon's Storm on AT&T with no problems. EDGE only though.
    01-09-09 04:57 AM
    My AT&T small biz rep told me he was testing a Storm but he may have meant an unlocked Storm personally rather than something that AT&T was involved with... I will try and clarify.
    01-09-09 05:42 AM
    at work a lot of people come into the store asking when AT&T will be getting the Storm, i tell them most likely not because if we did infact pick up the storm it would take away from bold/iPhone sales. Nothing too drastic but one company can't have everything...
    01-09-09 06:04 AM
    at work a lot of people come into the store asking when AT&T will be getting the Storm, i tell them most likely not because if we did infact pick up the storm it would take away from bold/iPhone sales. Nothing too drastic but one company can't have everything...
    Do people actually accept that explaination? If AT&T had a storm, and it took away from iPhone and Bold sales, why would the company care? Apple might have some concern... But it would just mean more money in ATT's pocket if they had a wider selection of equipment.

If your customers read press releases on any of this equipment, or know anything about how a consumer-driven business operates, they know you're pulling that out of your hind-parts.

It's the same reason you can't get an iPhone from Verizon. Apple took what they think is the best smartphone in history to the Verizon first, the wireless carrier with the largest network and most reliable coverage. VZW wanted to nickel-and-dime the plan, and charge for a lot of services separately. Apple was determined to have their phone come with a plan that was a complete all-in-one package. All or nothing. So they took it to #2, AT&T.

RIM didn't offer their first-ever touchscreen BlackBerry to AT&T because the carrier was trying to force all of their equipment suppliers use the same wireless data technology.

Check out intomobile.com/2008/09/09/touchscreen-blackberry-storm-due-at-verizon-for-199.html]Touchscreen BlackBerry �Storm� Due at Verizon for $199

This is why your subscribers are stuck with the iPhone if they want a touchscreen smartphone. While that's great for some, the rest of us want our BlackBerry OS, and some decent email capability.
    01-09-09 08:49 AM
    Yeah that iphone/bold explanation just about sucks. I don't like the iphones & I don't want a bold but I'd love to have a touchscreen berry. So there's another fine example of at&t at their best...ignoring what their customers actually want & giving us what they feel we "need". Blah.
    01-09-09 08:55 AM
    is AT&T a good phone company
    01-09-09 09:33 AM
    is AT&T a good phone company
    In my experience, customer care is awesome, but coverage isn't the best, and if you have a problem they don't do much to try to keep your business.

Data speeds are nothing special, and really the best thing at&t has going for them is their equipment selection. Call quality and network reliability are my main complaints for the price you pay for the service.
    01-09-09 09:44 AM
    well as a sales rep you have to give the customer a reason to buy whats on the table, you cant sell a blackberry bold and the customer wants a storm but will wait the few months to get it and you lose a sale. Is the storm a good phone? It has potential, with the right OS it can be. The iphone might suck to many of you but this is Apples first phone and they sold millions, regardless of the phone or the required data plan. Apple decided to make a phone and they hit it on the head. RIM has many good ideas and a touch screen bold, 3g curve, etc. are all very good ideas and will definaltey sell a lot. Coverage for AT&T will be getting a lot better, once the 850mhz overlay is complete then the inside coverage will increase dramatically.
    01-09-09 09:52 AM
    I get sooooo sick of hearing brainless individuals crack on AT&T's network and then jizz over Verizon's network. You don't even know the half of it.

Verizon's network is great in a lot of areas, BUT it sucks in a lot of areas too.

AT&T's network is great in a lot of areas, BUT it sucks in a lot of areas too.

Don't speak like an moron as if your area is indicative of all areas - its not.
    01-09-09 09:56 AM
    I get sooooo sick of hearing brainless individuals crack on AT&T's network and then jizz over Verizon's network. You don't even know the half of it.

Verizon's network is great in a lot of areas, BUT it sucks in a lot of areas too.

You're right... But the fact that vzw has the largest network isn't really something you can argue with.

Sprint's network is GREAT in some areas. And not in most.

ATT's coverage doesn't suck, it's just not the best.

I travel all over the country for work. If I stayed in one spot all the time I might say differently. I was an ATT customer for 7 years. They were the best for a long time, until one day, they sold off a chunk of their towers. All of a sudden I didn't get service in my office, in the middle of a town of 150,000 residents. And dropped calls became a nightmare when I was on the road. That being said, it's still not horrible. It's still wireless. It's just not the best (right now).

I take everything I hear from any sales rep with a grain of salt. Sales people are often full of cr@p. I'll believe this 850 mhz business when I see it.
    01-09-09 10:33 AM
    The docs I work with who are from the Punjab assure me that ATT has the best network imaginable... in India.
    01-09-09 12:02 PM

I too travel all over the country and use an AT&T Bold for business and a Storm for personal.

AT&T is a crap network. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to surf the web with my Bold and just watch and watch as it tries to load. It's funny, actually.

In my hometown, the SF Bay Area, I'd hope all carriers would get a decent signal. Maybe AT&T should flick the "on" switch.
    Last edited by Duvi; 01-09-09 at 04:53 PM. Reason: watch the personal attacks
    01-09-09 03:58 PM
    Well, moron, I too travel all over the country and use an AT&T Bold for business and a Storm for personal.

AT&T is a crap network. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to surf the web with my Bold and just watch and watch as it tries to load. It's funny, actually.

In my hometown, the SF Bay Area, I'd hope all carriers would get a decent signal. Maybe AT&T should flick the "on" switch.

Well, if you are in the Bay area, you can't get on the network because of all those damn iPhones!!
    01-09-09 04:30 PM
    I too travel all over the country and use an AT&T Bold for business and a Storm for personal.

I didn't call you a moron, but now I am now since you conveyed your message as such. AT&T is a crap network in some places, just as Verizon is a crap network in places. If their network was as bad as you make it out to be everyone would be on Verizon - which is so not the case. Also, if the network is crap WHY do you use AT&T for business?

Why anyone would expect a network to be the same all over the country because it belongs to the same carrier is an absolute moron that knows very little about the wireless industry. Speaking of that, you would think that anyone that is from the Bay Area would understand how the topography there has a big impact on all wireless carriers.
    Last edited by Duvi; 01-09-09 at 04:59 PM. Reason: editing quote
    01-09-09 04:39 PM

Exactly. Coverage matters on your location. To say Verizon is the best everywhere is totally wrong. Verizon gets 1-2 bars of reception where I live. Full 3G coverage with AT&T. Location is a key factor.
    01-09-09 05:09 PM
    Right, it's all about location! Where I live, VZW is the dominant carrier. Until two years ago, AT&T's reception in the southern part of the county sucked. Now AT&T is gradually improving their coverage.
    01-09-09 05:32 PM
    Plus Verizon has or had a contract on the Storm, so AT&T couldn't even be thinking about selling it yet.
    01-09-09 05:33 PM
    Plus Verizon has or had a contract on the Storm, so AT&T couldn't even be thinking about selling it yet.
    No this is incorrect. Verizon has an exclusive on the 9530. That's it. The 9520 is a different device with different hardware. AT&T could sell the Storm if they wanted with no problems.
    01-09-09 05:35 PM
    No this is incorrect. Verizon has an exclusive on the 9530. That's it. The 9520 is a different device with different hardware. AT&T could sell the Storm if they wanted with no problems.
    Oh yeah, cause the 9520 would be a GSM device correct?
    01-09-09 05:39 PM
    Oh yeah, cause the 9520 would be a GSM device correct?
    Yes. XX30 is CDMA. XX00-20 is GSM.
    01-09-09 05:43 PM
    Yes. XX30 is CDMA. XX00-20 is GSM.
    Oh okay, now I'm getting the hang of this.
    01-09-09 05:47 PM
    There is only one true crap network and that would have to be T-Mobile. I don't care how affordable there prices are and customer service and yada yada yada. With 32 million customers and being the 4th major wireless network and most likely easily over taking Sprint in the next 10 years there network is attrocious! I mean seriously major cities I can get 3 bars at max suburbs are even worse go indoors and lose it altogether. I don't get how you can grow so big on such a crap network with the worst phone selection I have ever seen.

I came back from a deployment after a year in a half and sucked up the cancellation fee of $200 because I couldn't complete my last year. Two years is so long when you get little to no coverage everywhere you go. Now with AT&T I have yet to lose signal inside every building I have been in and have never gone below 2 bars inside or 3 bars outside. Not playing favoritism but call quality doesn't mean a damn if you can't even make a call. Sprint is barely better and I compare only because I was on T-Mobile and know them, my best buddy is on Sprint and we often compare with my AT&T.

Verizon and AT&T are equal in my opinion when it comes to coverage just in different places one is better then the other which is why they are each others main competitors. Price wise I think they both suck. Feature wise everyone is one uping the other. Verizon, more coverage, better feature seletion. AT&T almost as good coverae, decent selection, roll over minutes, Sprint same as above but less consistant coverage and no roll over minutes but better PTT service and T-Mobile myfavs.

I say pick what you want, try them all but never expect an all in one service forever if your on the move it will never happen and when it gets to that point expect another monopoly break up to destroy it all and take another 30 years t build it back up only to be split up again and again.

Sorry for the long post.
    01-10-09 11:44 AM
    There is only one true crap network and that would have to be T-Mobile. I don't care how affordable there prices are and customer service and yada yada yada. With 32 million customers and being the 4th major wireless network and most likely easily over taking Sprint in the next 10 years there network is attrocious! I mean seriously major cities I can get 3 bars at max suburbs are even worse go indoors and lose it altogether. I don't get how you can grow so big on such a crap network with the worst phone selection I have ever seen.

I came back from a deployment after a year in a half and sucked up the cancellation fee of $200 because I couldn't complete my last year. Two years is so long when you get little to no coverage everywhere you go. Now with AT&T I have yet to lose signal inside every building I have been in and have never gone below 2 bars inside or 3 bars outside. Not playing favoritism but call quality doesn't mean a damn if you can't even make a call. Sprint is barely better and I compare only because I was on T-Mobile and know them, my best buddy is on Sprint and we often compare with my AT&T.

Verizon and AT&T are equal in my opinion when it comes to coverage just in different places one is better then the other which is why they are each others main competitors. Price wise I think they both suck. Feature wise everyone is one uping the other. Verizon, more coverage, better feature seletion. AT&T almost as good coverae, decent selection, roll over minutes, Sprint same as above but less consistant coverage and no roll over minutes but better PTT service and T-Mobile myfavs.

Sorry for the long post.
    Hmmmm......I think I could make this whole post but do it reversed. My first phone was Sprint and I had too many dropped calls. I moved to Voicestream who rarely dropped but didn't have the best phone prices. I moved to ATT who had decent service but charged way to much for text messages not on a plan and finally in 2002 landed back with VoiceStream whom had changed to T-Mobile. I cannot in anyway complain about dropped calls. I never experience them and if I do I'm usually talking to someone with Sprint and their phone has dropped the call. I travel in both the U.S. and Canada, reside in the suburbs and occasionally take cruises. In all this time I have had excellent service. Is that to say that that there is no place that I will lose service? Not at all. But I cannot believe in anyway that they are the worse network. That's why as stated several times in this thread it's better not to make judgemental statements about a carrier being the worse. No carrier is perfect and people choose certain carriers because of personal reasons.

Now I must admit I wish they would keep up with the phone race a little better. The G1? come on.......

In your words though, "I say pick what you want, try them all but never expect an all in one service forever if your on the move it will never happen and when it gets to that point expect another monopoly break up to destroy it all and take another 30 years t build it back up only to be split up again and again."

Amen to that!!!
    01-10-09 02:14 PM
    Eventually att and Verizon will both go 4g lte and will merge somehow. It would probably benefit both parties to some degree

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 03:45 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD