I am using a mac Ibook G4 with my address book, calendar, etc. Whenever I sync (using Pocketmac), I get duplicate contacts on my Blackberry 8830. After working on this for a while, I think its because certain contacts have more than one category. These then get duplicated, even though I mark "do not duplicate" on the BB. If anyone has any solution to this (besides just not use more than one category group for each contact) I would really appreciate it.
    Hope everyone is haveing a great new year.
    Skip
    01-03-08 11:02 AM
    There is an option to perform a one way sync (either overwrite the mac or overwrite the BB) or to do a 2-way sync. Try doing one of the one-way syncs. I've found that has been helpful and has not duplicated contacts.
    01-03-08 06:52 PM
    I tried that and although it does solve the problem, it eliminates using both the device and mac as active live units to use for updating. My preference is to be able to use both and have the software work properly.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.
    S
    01-03-08 07:48 PM
    I tried that and although it does solve the problem, it eliminates using both the device and mac as active live units to use for updating. My preference is to be able to use both and have the software work properly.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.
    S
    Go back to a two way sync. Does it duplicate now? If it does do a wipe and one way sync and then a two way sync. I've had to do this a few times but usually it acts the way it should.
    01-04-08 07:12 AM
    I still have a few duplicates. The problem is clearly "category driven" meaning that if a contact has more than one category, the BB believes its NOT a duplicate even though it is. This has to be a pocketmac problem.
    I am down to only a few duplicates and can live with that. The other problem I have is that for some reason, when trying to "search" for a contact by spelling, some contacts don't show up. I have to then scroll through the whole list to find it. Again, I think this is a category driven problem. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
    Skip
    01-04-08 06:46 PM
    My problem is DEFINETELY CATEGORY DRIVEN !!! I eliminated all my categories on my Mac, then overwrote the BB device, and everything worked fine. Even when I reconfigured for a 2 way sync. The problem clearly comes about because of categories. Which is a problem!!! Pocketmac will not answer any of the 4 tech service emails I sent !!!
    For me, its easier to not have categories and have my phone work perfectly well. Too bad Pocketmac has this problem and won't return my requests.
    Skip
    01-05-08 04:11 PM
    My problem is DEFINETELY CATEGORY DRIVEN !!! I eliminated all my categories on my Mac, then overwrote the BB device, and everything worked fine. Even when I reconfigured for a 2 way sync. The problem clearly comes about because of categories. Which is a problem!!! Pocketmac will not answer any of the 4 tech service emails I sent !!!
    For me, its easier to not have categories and have my phone work perfectly well. Too bad Pocketmac has this problem and won't return my requests.
    Skip
    What do you mean by Categories? In my address book I have groups but don't see an option to create a category. What am I missing?
    01-06-08 07:20 AM
    It might be time to give Missing Sync a try and see if it works the way it should. I've been lucky that PocketMac has given me very little trouble so far.
    01-07-08 10:53 AM
    I spent HOURS on the phone with RIM about the trouble I've had with PocketMac repeating entries in my calendar when I sync with Entourage. It's a particular problem with repeating appointments like birthdays. Apparently it's a known issue they haven't solved yet. There's no work around at the moment. One just has to suffer and hope they get it fixed because it's really annoying.
    02-14-09 10:01 PM
    For me, it might have been related to my data. I had over 4000 contacts. Upon closer examination, I found this:
    Last: Smith, John First:
    Last: First: Smith, John
    Last: Smith First: John
    Last: Smith, John First: Smith, John
    Last: First: Middle: Smith, John

I may have introduced some of this myself putting commas in names but clearly I was getting as many as 5 entries per name. Duplicate finder couldn't figure it out because the fields really were somewhat different. I spent many hours deleting old contacts I don't need any more and manually editing contacts to get rid of commas, using filemaker bento - which is a LOT faster than doing it in address. I went from 4000 contacts with possibly 800 duplicates to 2400 contacts after merging duplicates and deleting contacts I have not heard from in years.

The bottom line is this: cleaner smaller data can lead to smoother sync.
    02-15-09 09:41 AM
    I have had a similar problem. So i used parallels and installed the blackberry CD, now there are contacts i can't delete. When i try to edit them i get messages saying the contact is updated externally, changes will be lost and viewer closed. i can't make any changes. So then i used bootcamp and installed windows. Installed the blackberry software too. I go in to the advanced options and supposedly clear the contacts database but it never clears. I just want a way to completely clear JUST THE CONTACTS and nothing else so i can start from scratch.
    Last edited by papabear4jc; 02-20-09 at 04:30 PM.
    02-20-09 12:17 PM
    I am having all sorts of problems with Missing Sync 2 for Bold and Mac. Don't go near it. The least of my worries is the inability to delete or edit a contact that exists on the bold and does not exist on the desktop with the folllowing message, "Contact updated externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed"
    I do not want to wipe my handset and start again because I'm tired of doing that. Every time you do that you have to setup ten or so of your wireless networks and literally hundreds of e-mail filters, plus all the third party software logins and setups. It's a real pain.
    04-07-09 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD