Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the Blackberry world. My boss recently bought a Blackberry Storm and wanted to get his work email on it. We run a Windows SBS Server 2003 that we use as a Domain Controller and Exchange Server.

I installed the BES Manager Software for 1 client on there and followed all the steps. I kept getting errors when opening the manager and the utilities weren't running properly. We were able to activate the device wirelessly and my boss was successfully receiving email but whenever he would try and send it would get an error. I figured this might be because the SBS serer is a Domain Controller so you can't logon locally. So I have now install the BES Software on a separate Windows Server 2003 box and so far it seems good. On the SBS Server Blackberry I deleted the user (my boss) from there and on the new one I added my boss. He received his activation email and when I go to activate it says 'activating [email protected]...' for about 5-10 minutes then fails and tries to do it again. I've tried this multiple times but it pretty much just hangs.

I have no idea if I should wipe the storm back because I worry that the prior BES Activation might conflict with this new one. It still shows all his emails on the device. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I've had it up to hear *points to the sky, with this software

--Mike
    01-08-09 03:43 PM
    Are you using the same copy of BES? the same SRP?

First thing I would do is remove BES from SBS. Then, load the Exchange admin tools on BES and apply all Exchange SP and fixes to BES. MAPI ab=nd CDO must be the same on both servers.

On the new BES, check the SRP status to make sure it's connected to RIM.
    01-09-09 10:51 AM
    Yes I am using the same copy of BES and the same SRP. I'm not sure what the BES Exchange Admin tools are but in the Utility folder I ran those test files and they all successfully ran with the MAPI profile I have setup. They contacted Blackberry servers fine and also made a folder in the users exchange box and deleted it fine. Previously that didnt work on the SBS Server.

I kind of didnt want to uninstall it completely off the SBS Server just yet so that we could test from that Server again to see if it can talk to it. I'm only at this location during the afternoons so hopefully this afternoon I can check it out.

Any other ideas?

--Mike
    01-09-09 12:40 PM
    From reading your original post, if you haven't uninstalled it from the SBS server or at least disabled the BlackBerry services on it, then you have likely locked out your SRP and need to contact RIM to have it re-enabled. You can only have one SRP active at a time.
    01-10-09 05:25 AM
    From reading your original post, if you haven't uninstalled it from the SBS server or at least disabled the BlackBerry services on it, then you have likely locked out your SRP and need to contact RIM to have it re-enabled. You can only have one SRP active at a time.
    Haha you hit the nail on the head for the reason it wasn't syncing!! I uninstaled BES on the SBS Server and then it activated right up, well I had to wipe it first, but then it did no problem!

Unfortunately we are stuck with the same issue before, user can receive mail but can't send. Still pulling my hair out on this one, all permissions are set perfectly. My last guess is that it is some firewall issue. We are using a Cisco FW that is a bit hard to configure with its 5 incoming IPs. I guess I will investigate that next. Thanks.
    01-12-09 04:32 PM
    ... that under the Security options of their user account, you see the BESAdmin user with Send As rights. I have noticed before that even though you set it up to do it automatically, this option doesn't always filter down to all users.

If you have to add that entry, you will most likely have to pull the battery on the BBerry to reset it.
    01-19-09 09:37 AM
    As davenportkut said, check the 'send as' permission for BESAdmin. Also look into th e'send as' issue with Domain Admin account if you have any of those.

It's not a firewall issue. If BES talks to RIM, you're good. All it needs is port 3101 outbound.
    01-19-09 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD