At the end of february, my wife and I are travelling to India for about two weeks. So theoretically if I unlock my phone and have the proper SIM card, I should be able to use my phone over seas with no problems. Am I correct assuming this? Also, with the unlock is there anyway to check what my rates will be?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 09:02 AM
    Hi! Good to know you're visiting my home anyway, by "proper" sim do you mean a local sim? If yes, you get a prepaid, and they have various plans even for bb's. I am not too sure on this, but a postpaid (on a plan) would be kinda useless for 2 weeks. Our carriers are airtel, vodafone, bpl (the main ones), so you could also check the tarrifs online . And there are other carriers too, but you best look up these guys and their bb tarrifs hope I could be of help!

01-08-09 10:12 AM
    I use a verizon BB now. If I unlock it, will one of these sims work or do I need to get one directly from verizon?

01-08-09 10:29 AM
    I use a verizon BB now. If I unlock it, will one of these sims work or do I need to get one directly from verizon?

Vodafone is verizon's partner in crime overseas.
    01-08-09 05:59 PM
    Perfect. So do I ask my local store here for the card or do I do so when overseas? I apologize for the redundancy of my questions, but I just want to make sure everything works while I'm over there.

01-08-09 06:02 PM
    Perfect. So do I ask my local store here for the card or do I do so when overseas? I apologize for the redundancy of my questions, but I just want to make sure everything works while I'm over there.

dial 611 and tell them what you want to do.
    01-08-09 07:59 PM
    Verizon would probably give you the best option. However, once your phone is unlocked, any sim should work. You should probably buy the chip from india itself, so you jave a local number. My best friend bought her curve from the UK and had it unlocked and has been using it fine over here

01-09-09 01:22 AM
    Verizon would probably give you the best option. However, once your phone is unlocked, any sim should work. You should probably buy the chip from india itself, so you jave a local number. My best friend bought her curve from the UK and had it unlocked and has been using it fine over here

Biggest thing that he needs to figure out since he only going for 2 weeks is if it will even be worth unlocking the phone and buying something local for that short of a time frame.
    01-09-09 11:15 AM
    At the end of february, my wife and I are travelling to India for about two weeks. So theoretically if I unlock my phone and have the proper SIM card, I should be able to use my phone over seas with no problems. Am I correct assuming this? Also, with the unlock is there anyway to check what my rates will be?

Well, because you have the 8830, the sim is locked, so you can only use the Vodafone sim that comes with verizons global calling plan. Prepaid sims will not work on this phone, and verizon.com will tell you the rates, now of course you have to have the global calling plan, which is 64.99 a month. Hope this helps!

01-11-09 12:42 PM
    Well, because you have the 8830, the sim is locked, so you can only use the Vodafone sim that comes with verizons global calling plan. Prepaid sims will not work on this phone, and verizon.com will tell you the rates, now of course you have to have the global calling plan, which is 64.99 a month. Hope this helps!

The phone is capable of being unlocked....
    01-11-09 12:56 PM
    oops, sorry, i didn't know.. like i said i could give you the other options, but looks like someone's helped you out there already
    01-12-09 06:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD