Any blackberry users that have Centennial Wireless as their carrier? If so, any issues/problems?
    01-02-08 12:54 AM
    Yep Yep, I had 2 different Blackberrys before Centennial ever got the service on Sept 27. No major issues since they finally got the email attachments issue resolved. It only took 2 months of me constantly calling, whining and ******** before they finally got ahold of RIM to get it resolved.

Periodically I lose EDGE and it goes back to edge, but it usually comes back before any length of time has passed.

Other than being Newbies at Blackberry and not knowing much about the service themselves yet (RIM needs to educate their new providers better), Centennial is doing great as always. Blackberry service just enhances the experience.

GO BLUEBERRY!!!
    01-12-08 01:06 PM
    What region do they cover?,never heard of them.
    01-12-08 01:29 PM
    Centennial is a rather small regional carrier whom currently provides cellular service to areas of Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas and Puerto Rico.

You can get more information at: Centennial Wireless

No I don't work for them, I'm just a long time customer.

Happy Berrying
    Last edited by pegb856; 01-21-08 at 11:55 AM.
    01-12-08 01:43 PM
    I have not been able to get Opera Mini working with it because of the TCP settings. I also can't get the tethered modem functionality to work. they say it is not supported but list it as a feature on their website.

I have the TCP settings, but they just don't seem to work. I have googled around and I have only found posts saying it isn't working.

Hopefully it will be coming...
    01-21-08 11:35 AM
    What TCP settings are you using? I have Opera Mini and Tethered Modem working but I am not sure if I have access to these TCP settings because I had PDA access before and they never disabled my access.
    Last edited by pegb856; 01-21-08 at 11:52 AM.
    01-21-08 11:49 AM
    What TCP settings are you using? I have Opera Mini and Tethered Modem working but I am not sure if I have access to these TCP settings because I had PDA access before and they never disabled my access.
    APN: private.centennialwireless.com
    username: privuser
    password: priv

For Opera Mini, I download it to the BB and click on the icon. It says it is installing, then after a minute or so it gives an error saying it could not connect to the internet.
    01-21-08 12:03 PM
    Yep that's what I have used. It must be that I only have access because they never disabled.

Sorry I can't help more.
    01-21-08 12:11 PM
    i'm having the same probablem getting my pearl to run operamini
    02-04-08 12:11 PM
    I am having the same issue on my 8310
    02-15-08 12:52 PM
    If I recall, Opera mini needs to use TCP settings for access and I do not think Centennial has granted BB users access to their TCP network yet. Hopefully since their reps were finally given Blackberrys on Feb. 5, the salesforce will be bringing this to Cents attention and TCP access will evenually be granted.

I must add that this is just speculation on my part, but hopefully it will happen.
    02-15-08 01:09 PM
    Hey I'm with Centennial Wireless.
    02-19-08 11:32 AM
    Does anybody know of any other microbrowsers?

Mozilla's is only for Windows Mobile. Opera Mobile too.
    02-25-08 03:26 PM
    oprea is good enough. what else do you need?
    02-28-08 10:39 PM
    Yep I know of another browser. It's called Minuet Browser, however it is not free and I was not overly impressed with it when I tried it out.

Handango carries it on their website.

Mobile Software and Games for your PDA or Smartphone : Handango

Happy Berrying!
    02-29-08 05:53 AM
    I tried with the settings Centennial gave for Opera Mini.

No dice.

Has anyone had any luck yet?
    02-29-08 07:50 AM
    What settings did Centennial give you? If they were:

APN: private.centennialwireless.com
    username: privuser
    password: priv

These settings work, but only for people who have been given the access to them as they are the settings for their standard PDA users, Palm, Windows mobile, etc. I have this access but only because I once had a standard PDA plan and they never disabled my access when I switched plans.

I spoke with Centennial's Blackberry support a couple days ago about getting every BB
    BIS user automatic access to these settings and the reasons it is needed, but I have not heard anything more from them.

Happy Berrying!!
    Last edited by pegb856; 02-29-08 at 04:31 PM.
    02-29-08 04:12 PM
    I put those same settings in the TCP settings. Nothing. It still will not install.
    03-01-08 07:04 PM
    centennial's customer support is telling me it is not poss. to use the blackberry as a tethered modem and I know it is I just need to know how, what is the phone number that is needed to access the net and password and pin and do I need any software other than what came with my blackberry. please help, I got a air card thru them the other day and my time is running out to make up my mind if I want to keep it or not and if the bb serves the same perpous there is no need for the second bill. Thank you for any help you can give
    Curtis
    03-10-08 11:03 AM
    Tethering is possible with Centennial BB devices providing you have access to the TCP settings as stated above and since Centennial does not grant that access automatically for BB users it's doubtful you will be able to get it working. If you are someone who previously had a standard PDA data plan before BB then it is possible that they never disabled that access for your phone as is the case for myself.

I must also add that I have not tested it since the day I set it up which was 3 months ago. It worked for me then but I'm not sure if it still works.

Here are the settings I used.

1. If you do NOT have the latest DeskTop Manager, first go to BlackBerry Upgrade and choose "get software".

2. Enter your cell number and download the latest Desktop Manager Version on to your computer. Do NOT install yet.

3. Before installing the Desktop Manager software just downloaded, completely delete your old version of Desktop Manager.

4. Reboot, then install the new version of DeskTop Manager you downloaded.

Now for setting up your BlackBerry to work with your notebook or desktop with an UNLIMITED use Internet connection [through your Centennial account]. Speed about 115k!!

First, let's simply check and note what com ports your BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed and is using on the computer.

On your COMPUTER using XP - Go to

<Start>

<Control Panel>

<System>

<Hardware>

<Device Manager>

Scroll down to <Ports>

On having installed DeskTop Manager, there should be 2 ports listed that say "RIM".

Simply write down which com ports are listed as being used by "RIM". Most likely (COM4) and (COM5).

Now close all these windows, you just wanted to see what com ports RIM was using.

Now on the PC, let's set up the "phone number" or settings for your desktop or notebook computer to "dial" your BlackBerry Pearl.

With your DESKTOP or NOTEBOOK computer, open Desktop Manager.

Connect your Blackberry with your USB cable.

[If the phone does NOT connect automatically, on the Desktop Manager interface click <options>, then <connection settings>, then click <detect>. This should find your BlackBerry and connect the phone to the PC].

Now with the phone and PC connected [as indicated by the Desktop Manager saying at the bottom of the DM window that they are "connected"]:

ON YOUR COMPUTER [not the Blackberry] Go to:

<Start> Menu

Select <Control Panel>

Select <Network Connections>

Select <File> from the drop down menu

Select <Create a New Connection>

Select <Network Connection Wizard>

Select <Connect to the Internet>

Select <Set Up My Connection Manually>

Select <Connect Using a Dial Up Modem>

Under "Select A Device" select or check the box that is the RIM COM Port you noted from before, usually COM4 or COM5.

NOTE: Uncheck or "deselect" the other modem if that box is also checked [typically it's the phone dial up modem built in to your PC].

Click <Next>

In ISP name box name this new connection/setting anything you want, e.g., BlackBerry.

Click <Next>

In the Telephone Number box, type the below combination of numbers and characters [aka a "string"]:

*99#

So you will type in an asterisk, 99, and number symbol.

Click <Next>

Type in these settings:

User Name: privuser

Password: priv

Check the "use this account name and password." Check to "make this new connection your default connection" if you intend for it to be such. [most likely not].

Click <Next>

Select "Add Shortcut to Desktop" so you have the connection easy to access from the desktop of your computer.

Click <Finish>

Almost done. Now you have to set up the modem, it's just one entry, BUT EASY TO SCREW UP, so be careful entering the number or string which is simply a combination of letters, characters, numbers and spaces..

On your desktop or notebook computer go to:

<Start> Menu

Select <Control Panel>

Click <Phones And Modems>

Click the <Modems> tab.

Select or highlight the COM Port/Modem you set up the BlackBerry with, typically COM4 or COM5. Note: may be listed as "Standard Modem"

Click <Properties>

Click the <Advanced> tab.

In the <Extra Initialization Commands:> box type this exact string [or combination of letters, characters, numbers, and NO spaces]:

AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","private.centennialwireless.com"

Make sure you put the two commas, both quotation marks. Note: there are NO SPACES between the characters.

Click <OK> to save and back out of the settings menus and get back to your desktop.

Also I had to do this: Go to Control Panel-Networking-PPP Settings and disable LCP Extentions (uncheck it).

You should be able to click on your new Blackberry network connection shortcut on the desktop and connect to the Net, providing you have user access to these TCP settings.

NOTE: To use this modem connection:

The BB must be connected to your PC via the USB cable;

DESKTOP MANAGER MUST BE OPEN;

And Desktop Manager must indicate or say that the Phone is "connected" to the PC.

The most common error made when trying to connect and it does not work is that people have failed to have Desktop Manager open and the phone connected through it.

I would like to thank Blackberryforums.com and user:SanFrancisco for the original post. It was posted for TMo and I took the settings, modified for Centennial access and tinkered with them until I got it to work.

Happy Berrying!

UPDATE!!

I just tried the setup again and it still works. I'm posting this update from my laptop tethered to my 8310. My estimate is that it runs about twice the speed of a 56k dial-up connection.

Again and as always, Happy Berrying!
    Last edited by pegb856; 03-10-08 at 03:59 PM.
    03-10-08 11:43 AM
    Hey, Thanks I just got your instructions and it works great I'm using the connection now I have vista and it works on here just fine I had to jump around diff. places to get all the info entered but in the end it all worked out. Once again THANK YOU!!!! and thanks for getting back so soon.
    Curtis,
    03-10-08 10:55 PM
    Glad it worked for you.

Happy Berrying!
    03-11-08 06:15 AM
    Have the Centennial's TCP settings started working yet for any of you who previously tried to get them to work and couldn't? These applications use TCP: Opera Mini and Blackberry Weather.

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to keep hounding them about this issue or whether it is finally resolved.

Happy Berrying!
    03-14-08 06:12 AM
    pegb856,

I still cannot connect with opera mini. I am using the same settings you are.
    03-19-08 02:35 PM
    I just got a response from one of Cent's Tech support people and was told that Centennial is working on making TCP access universal for all their PDA users. Now idea of when or if it will actually take place. As stated before, I once had a standard PDA plan with them and they never disabled my access. It's the only reason I can use TCP right now.

I'll post anything new that I hear.
    03-19-08 02:46 PM
126 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD