Hello all, so i got my bold on release day on nov. 4 at my local at&t store.

i noticed by default that my bold came with a light blue trackball. at that moment i thought that all the bolds came with this trackball color.

recently i had a lcd screen malfunction (i hate invisible shield) so i got a replacement phone. on the new bold i received i noticed that the trackball is the classic normal white color.

at this point of course i rather have a fresh new lcd screen for my bold than a light blue trackball, but i was wondering

a. did anybody else get a bold with my light blue trackball?
    b. is there any links to any applications or anything so i can get my new bold to get a light blue color for my trackball instead of white?
    01-06-09 05:35 PM

i noticed by default that my bold came with a light blue trackball. at that moment i thought that all the bolds came with this trackball color.

recently i had a lcd screen malfunction (i hate invisible shield) so i got a replacement phone. on the new bold i received i noticed that the trackball is the classic normal white color.

at this point of course i rather have a fresh new lcd screen for my bold than a light blue trackball, but i was wondering

b. is there any links to any applications or anything so i can get my new bold to get a light blue color for my trackball instead of white?
    could you specify what the screen malfunction was?
    01-06-09 05:43 PM
    I want a blue trackball! Unfortunately the 8100 is the only bb with a multi colored led so you are stuck with white unless you want to tear your bold apart and color it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 05:49 PM
    i have had the dreaded problem with the liquid seeping into the inside of my lcd screen when i tried to put on my invisible shield which left multiple splotches on my screen. it is especially visible for a white background which 99.9% of all my messages are read from.

its a bittersweet choice for me because obviously what is the point of having a bold without a perfect screen to look at, but now comparing the two, i really really really liked my blue trackball that came with my first one.

did anybody receive a blue trackball by default when they got theres on nov. 4th?
    01-06-09 05:53 PM
    I was lucky enough to pick one up at a store on the 3rd but no, it didn't have a blue trackball.

01-06-09 05:55 PM
    Well, I have the issue but in reverse. I purchased my Bold about two weeks ago and the trackball was white. I turned it on today and it was light blue. Any thoughts on getting it back to white?
    01-24-09 09:42 PM
    Blue trackball? Was the backlit blue or the actual trackball.

01-24-09 09:49 PM
    Definitely haven't heard of a blue trackball before...

But now I'm worried about installing my invisible shield on my Bold. I have the shield sitting here, ready for installation. Now I'm just nervous.
    01-24-09 11:01 PM
    Blue trackball? That sounds interesting.

I hate to say it but this thread is useless without pics! Someone post pics of this mysterious trackball!

01-25-09 12:01 AM
    Sounds cool.
    Let's see some pics man

01-25-09 07:47 AM
    Definitely haven't heard of a blue trackball before...

But now I'm worried about installing my invisible shield on my Bold. I have the shield sitting here, ready for installation. Now I'm just nervous.
    I and many others have installed the invisible sheild without any problem. I only used the screen protector and not whole body but had no problems.
    It took me a few tries to get it on right so I had to re-apply the liquid a few times, again, no problems at all.

01-25-09 08:42 AM
    RIM has never issued a Bold with a blue track ball. When my backlight comes on the track ball has a slight blue tint to it, but that is just the frost coating on the ball. I don't believe anyone has an application that can turn the Bold track ball colors.

As far as the shield goes, I have been using these for several years and it is somewhat of an art getting them installed correctly without soaking your BB. The key is really in getting both of your hands wet with the application solution or water (so you don't get any oily finger prints on the sticky side of the shield), then getting an even thin film of solution on the sticky side of the film, then go side to side vs. top to bottom (or vice versa). The sides of the screen are very well sealed and you shouldn't get any solution in the top speaker cut out using this method.

Also, if your shield, like the one Case-Mate sells, has a die cut piece that has to be removed where the top cut out is, remove it with a sharp tweezers first... before you remove the main piece from the paper backing. Once you lay down the shield down on the BB it is nearly impossible to remove any die cut pieces without streatching the material. The bottom line point is that you don't need to soak the shield and get your BB sopping wet. Just spread a thin layer of solution on the back side of the shield with a wet finger and lay it down on the screen. Then of cource use the supplied soft card to remove any bubbles. At the same time use the micro fiber cloth they supply to remove any excess water as it comes out of the sides, top and bottom of the shield... as you are removing any bubbles. I just applied my Case-Mate shield to my new Bold and had absolutely no issues what so ever. As a matter of fact, people have seen it and asked what it was and how cool it looks.

Frankly, the best shield I have ever used is the one sold by Case-Mate. They are perfectly cut for every area they go on to and are a bit thicker then the other brands, so don't overly stretch. Which means you don't get wavy edges or lines. Plus, when it dries, it has a beautiful finish to it.
    Last edited by wezra; 01-25-09 at 09:27 AM.
    01-25-09 09:23 AM
    Thank you for those tips, wezra. I think that's the best way to describe the process. It is a little bit of an art.

I have installed a shield on one of my previous phones before, and I was happy with the result.. But this phone just seems more important to me, so I didn't want to potentially ruin it. But I'm glad I can use the sides to remove the excess water. I was mainly worried about water getting into the earpiece hole.
    01-25-09 10:04 AM

Sounds interesting...
    01-25-09 10:09 AM
    They are all the same, they might just have a different hue to them. After a month or 2 of use it will be dirty and look exactly the same.

01-25-09 10:22 AM
    Thank you for those tips, wezra. I think that's the best way to describe the process. It is a little bit of an art.

I have installed a shield on one of my previous phones before, and I was happy with the result.. But this phone just seems more important to me, so I didn't want to potentially ruin it. But I'm glad I can use the sides to remove the excess water. I was mainly worried about water getting into the earpiece hole.
    I don't blame you a bit. These devises aren't cheap and protecting them is important.

Their is a Case-Mate kiosk in the Mall near my house. As a service when you buy one of their shields, no matter what cell phone or smartphone you have, they will install the shield for you on the spot. When I went to buy my shield for the Bold, which in their case is only a 2 piece set (the screen and small "smile" piece at the bottom front, nothing for the sides or back), another guy was having it installed at the same time. I watched very carefully as the Case-Mate guy installed it on his Bold. He laid the shield from one side to the other side, got the piece set, wiped off the excess water with the cloth, then pushed the bubbles out from the middle to each side with the soft card. As soon as the water started coming out he wiped it off. He also used the micro cloth to rub the bubbles out at the same time. When I got home I used the same technique. I have absolutely no air bubbles on the shield. I didn't put the small bottom front piece on... it didn't make any sense to me to have that one there.. it really has no purpose.

Case-Mate also sells the 3-M privacy screen for the Bold, That however is self-sticking and uses no solution or water. I had one for my 8820 and it worked great. But, the corners had a bit of air space under them. I could never get the air out from those 4 spots. The wet solution shields work much better in corners and on curves or edges.

By-the-way, I am not an employee of Case-Mate. I just like their products. I purchased their carbon fiber leather replacement back for the Bold yesterday and it is awesome. Much better looking then the OEM back. They have it in black and silver as well as Croc styles in red, green and brown. At $19.95 they are a great deal. I think I am going to get the silver one as well.
    01-25-09 11:10 AM
    Just out of curiosity, are you folks in the habbit of getting your Bold worked up without climax. That's the only reason I've ever heard of for "blue balls"

C'mon.. that was funny!
    01-25-09 02:49 PM
    A friend of mine also has a (european) Bold. I was looking at his device as it struck me: he has a YELLOW trackball! So I asked him if he coloured the backlight or something, but he answered me he didn't do a thing to it. It just came out of the box this way.
    If I see him again and think about it, I'll try to make some pictures...
    01-26-09 04:13 AM

I had the exact same situation as you but in reverse: I got my bold Dec 8th - this Bold had white trackball; Jan 16th I started having the problem of the liquid in the LCD causing discoloration. I RMA'd the phone, and got new Bold Jan 22nd. My new bold has the light blue trackball.

My carrier is AT&T

To those asking questions regarding the coloration it is NOT a LED causing the coloration. When the phone is off you can still tell the trackball is light blue, not white.

Only thing I can think of is that ATT was going to try and have all of the ATT branded Bolds use light blue colored trackballs but in an effort to get the phones to market settled for using standard trackablls and as a result some of the ATT devices have white trackballs and some have the light blue.

I can post pics side by side with another bold that has white trackball tomorrow when I'm back in the office.
    01-28-09 10:27 AM
    oh wow, i am very curious to see this now!

ps. does the white light shine thru the blue trackball at night or when its dark?
    01-28-09 10:32 AM
    I have to jump in here. I have three Bolds with me right now. my original was defective and then I received a second and it had a screen issue and now I have a third. I thought all was well and other that I seem to be getting the "thinking timer" in the middle of the screen quite frequently(I think it is firmware related).

Anyway my third unit has a trackball that is slight tinted light blue and it seems that the keyboard is a little tinted too. Then as I'm packing up my two defective units to send back, my trackball has started to slightly flicker. I can't believe I've had three phones and they all have issues. I hate to call att again but I just might. Any have a flickering trackball?

Sorry for going on and off topic.

Edit: BTW, my trackball is white. Let me get some pics together and see if it's noticeable.
    01-28-09 11:59 AM
    Yeah enough stories and more pics ! Lol :P

01-28-09 08:27 PM
    Too bad you don't have photo evidence
    03-31-09 02:48 PM
    Wow, I wanna see this..
    03-31-09 02:51 PM
    Sorry for going slightly OT, but what's the benefit of screen protectors that use liquid? I've never used one but I'm interested in protecting that awesomely BOLD, well, (Blackberry) Bold screen
    03-31-09 10:51 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD