Hi everyone, I love my Storm but the lagginess and the glitches are keeping me at arms length with this device.

I'm considering getting a Sprint Instinct at wirefly. It's free and the plan is a couple of dollars cheaper than what Verizon is offering.

I know many diehard Storm advocates will scoff at me.

So I ask you all, why should I keep the Storm and not switch to Sprint?

Thanks.

DG
    01-06-09 12:56 PM
    Only you can answer that question. you have to go with the device that suits your needs. For me it is the Storm. I wanted an all in one device, that actually handled all of the tasks well. I feel I have that in the Storm. You may agree or feel differently.
    01-06-09 01:00 PM
    yea check it out for yourself, however, the instinct (in my opinion) is just another phone -- nothing special about it.
    01-06-09 01:00 PM
    That's like asking me which shoes are more comfortable on your feet. Everyone has preferences and choosing a phone/network is no different. I'm assuming since you mention a free phone and a cheaper plan, money is an issue with your current setup, so do what you can afford.
    01-06-09 01:03 PM
    Id say your going from a bb on vzw to a regular phone on sprint is apretty bad decision. Just take a look at their coverage maps. I will have to say their data is good, when you can use it.
    01-06-09 01:10 PM
    Turn the Storm in and go to Sprint. No keep the Storm and stay with Verizon. No, no, no, no.....................
    01-06-09 01:14 PM
    Well that's your call. Personally I would ride it out the Storm WILL get better in time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 01:20 PM
    Well that's your call. Personally I would ride it out the Storm WILL get better in time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's what I was thinking but with all the bugs that I've seen with .75(refuse to update to .85)

It seems like a shot in the dark. It's not very reassuring when the phone freezes on you. I get paranoid, what if this was an emergency? I'd be in big trouble.

It also seems that battery life is getting worse as well. From being fully charged this morning, and just letting the device just sit at my desk, I now only have half battery life.

It kills me to give this up because it's so easy on the eyes, but function over form for me.

Maybe a 8330 is in the cards.
    01-06-09 01:39 PM
    My co-worker has the instinct and in just under a month she has gone thru 5 phones. Twice was because the screen just died.
    01-06-09 01:44 PM
    5x? Wow, that's awful.

Has anyone tried the Omnia? Cnet said that it's faster than the Storm...

Damn you glitchy software!
    01-06-09 01:48 PM
    5x? Wow, that's awful.

The omnia is a nice device as well. It runs off WIN MO so its pretty laggy as well. Its got a sweet camera.
    01-06-09 01:57 PM
    5x? Wow, that's awful.

The Omnia is a fine phone (I had one before trading in for the Storm), but it is really impaired by WinMo. The 5.0mp camera is great and the size/form factor are great, but that's about it. It requires some inane registry edits and hacks to function half-normally. While I like Samsung for their quality products, they couldn't fix WinMo on that phone. It's just not finger-friendly. I remember cursing a lot.

And I don't think it was faster at all. Programs took a quite a few seconds to launch and then the phone would come to a screeching halt until you brought up the task switcher to end all programs. Browsing speed was definitely faster though. Maybe a .75 -> .85 fix as I hear, for the Storm.
    01-06-09 01:58 PM
    The Instinct is a pretty good phone. Browsing the internet was just a pain in the arse and a little to hard to see, other then that I thought it was a pretty good phone. The Omnia is pretty much the same as the Instinct, same browser was hard to navigate and see. I also don't like carrying a stylus around (it's not built in the phone). Oh, another thing is it's hard to type because the letters are so small, I made lots of mistakes when trying to type. Other then that, both phones worked flawlessly and quick.
    01-06-09 02:00 PM
    Don't do Sprint. Bad, Bad, Bad....did I say bad?
    01-06-09 02:26 PM
    From personal experience, I have to say Sprint's customer service is sub-par compared to VZW. I'm running .85 on my storm, and it looks to me like the device is going to keep improving steadily. It's still your decision, but I'm waiting it out. If its the phone you are having issues with, not the carrier, I'd recommend trying out some other BBs before switching to Sprint.
    Last edited by GibsonBerry; 01-06-09 at 02:42 PM.
    01-06-09 02:39 PM
    Next to my store their is a wireless giant store and I have personally held and tried the instinct... The touchscreen is horrible and I hate the windows mobile that is on it. I am pretty open to new things but I can't stand how horrible the touch screen is
    01-06-09 02:40 PM
    dude how are you gonna up your post count if you go sprint??????????? you already have 52 and that means stick here at the CB forums with us lolz!
    01-06-09 03:07 PM
    I'm coming from the Instinct, and as much as I'm hating the random rebooting of my Storm (the only problem I'm really having), there is NO WAY I would go back to the Instinct. Just the fact that the Instinct doesn't let you have a signature for your e-mails or SMS is enough reason for me! I paid the "early leave" fee from Sprint to get my Storm!
    01-06-09 03:14 PM
    because you dont go from driving a bentley and then go get a horse and buggy, or trade the storm for a rotary phone....you just cant do it!!!
    01-06-09 03:42 PM
    I am also coming from the Samsung Instinct. I started it up the other day to get all of my contacts out of it and I didn't realize how ****ty that phone way until I had something better. But yeah like DiggyLR said its like driving a Bently than downgrading to a horse and buggy... I would recommend sticking it out until RIM gets the bugs worked out. It will be worth it.
    01-06-09 03:59 PM
    You guys are funny...

The Omnia is a fine phone (I had one before trading in for the Storm), but it is really impaired by WinMo. The 5.0mp camera is great and the size/form factor are great, but that's about it. It requires some inane registry edits and hacks to function half-normally. While I like Samsung for their quality products, they couldn't fix WinMo on that phone. It's just not finger-friendly. I remember cursing a lot.

And I don't think it was faster at all. Programs took a quite a few seconds to launch and then the phone would come to a screeching halt until you brought up the task switcher to end all programs. Browsing speed was definitely faster though. Maybe a .75 -> .85 fix as I hear, for the Storm.
    My friend has a HTC, I guess Winmo isn't that impressive, if it was, I would have considered it.

Don't do Sprint. Bad, Bad, Bad....did I say bad?
    Pardon me, could you repeat what you just said?

From personal experience, I have to say Sprint's customer service is sub-par compared to VZW. I'm running .85 on my storm, and it looks to me like the device is going to keep improving steadily. It's still your decision, but I'm waiting it out. If its the phone you are having issues with, not the carrier, I'd recommend trying out some other BBs before switching to Sprint.
    Am I allowed to test drive the Curve 8330 without fully getting locked into the contract? I wish the Bold was available for VZW.

dude how are you gonna up your post count if you go sprint??????????? you already have 52 and that means stick here at the CB forums with us lolz!
    Haha... Regardless of what I decide, I'll kick it here at CB, it's a pretty chill forum for the most part.

because you dont go from driving a bentley and then go get a horse and buggy, or trade the storm for a rotary phone....you just cant do it!!!
    But my Bentley hasn't been cruising but rather broken down on the side of the road.
    Last edited by Neomoto; 01-06-09 at 04:05 PM.
    01-06-09 04:00 PM
    If you have a background in using "dumb phones" you might be alright getting the instinct, but if you are use to the functionality of a smartphone, you will be very disappointed with the instinct.
    01-06-09 04:04 PM
    If you have a background in using "dumb phones" you might be alright getting the instinct, but if you are use to the functionality of a smartphone, you will be very disappointed with the instinct.
    Another reason why the decision is difficult. It seems everything else is "Downgrading" but that is better than something not functioning altogether.
    01-06-09 04:10 PM
    Another reason why the decision is difficult. It seems everything else is "Downgrading" but that is better than something not functioning altogether.
    Yeah, though these days its like "why not get a smartphone??". If I were you I'd get an iphone unless you have to stay on verzion. If you have to stay on verizon I'd take a look at the Omnia, it seems to get pretty good reviews. Or maybe a blackberry curve with an 8900 theme.
    01-06-09 04:12 PM
    Yeah, though these days its like "why not get a smartphone??". If I were you I'd get an iphone unless you have to stay on verzion. If you have to stay on verizon I'd take a look at the Omnia, it seems to get pretty good reviews. Or maybe a blackberry curve with an 8900 theme.
    No can do on the iphone, I've talk way too much smack about it and I really don't care for ATT's network. Plus their plans are confusing and nonsensical, not that VZW's are any clearer.

Any idea if the Bold is coming to VZW or Sprint? What is a BB Curve with a 8900 theme?
    01-06-09 04:18 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD