Like the title suggests...

Having B for Bob instead of number 5 for Bob makes more intuitive sense.

Also having A-Z like the old system would mean we're allowed more than just 8 speed dials.

One way to accomplish this would be to allow landscape full qwerty mode after hitting the call button.

Come on RIM!! bring this back for the STORM!!
    01-06-09 10:34 AM
    yes please
    01-06-09 10:39 AM
    amen! to that!
    01-06-09 10:40 AM
    I kinda' like it the way it is... But then again... I only need six speed dials...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 10:47 AM
    Or like on my old treo where I had touch speed dial on the home screen
    01-06-09 10:50 AM
    If you dont have a lot of speed dials, one way to do this, is just to asign the number that has the coresponding letter on it for speed dial. For example, assign 4 for Google 411, since the "G" is the 4 key... thats what I do...but I only have a few key numbers.
    01-06-09 10:53 AM
    More speed dial numbers would be nice. I came from a Razr dumb phone with 999 to a BB smart phone with 9?

Actually, I'm not a big fan of the phone functionality at all. I'm sure I'll get used to it over time though.
    01-06-09 10:57 AM
    I would like more speed dials
    01-06-09 11:33 AM
    bump!

bump!
    01-07-09 12:37 AM
    why not have a favorites listed, floating icons like the dare from verizon
    01-07-09 01:15 AM
    Lack of speed dials is my only complaint about this phone now. The other issues have been taken care of with OS upgrades. I NEED more speed dials.

Does anyone know if this is something RIM is going to work on?????
    01-07-09 07:15 AM
    Bumpity Bump!
    01-07-09 10:53 AM
    If they add more, I think it should be like the pearl (which has 14) and just use additional keys but in Portrait mode. I would hate to see an excuse to keep the portrait/landscape switching alive in the phone app…

Again, only an opinion…, but the few that I support – all my users hate that. Setting the phone down and always having it switch or trying to answer phone while it switches etc… really a joke. But, that is also coming from business world and that is not the focus of this phone.
    01-07-09 11:15 AM
    All I wish is that when you hover over the speed dial (without click) that it would show the name above corresponding to that speed dial number. I don't have more than 9 but I can never remember who is who
    01-07-09 11:42 AM
    I would love NAMED speed-dials. While more than 9 would be a nice option, even with the 9 I have now, I can't ever remember if the Wife's Cell is #2 or 3...and her office number is the other one.

On the old Palm I had "Wife's Cell", "Wife's Office", "Dad's Cell", "Mom & Dad", etc.

The FaceCall application looked promising, until I saw that he was adding too many options and sub-menus for my taste. Press the button...does it dial? No, it wants to know if you want to call, e-mail, or SMS them. I want to call them...OK, do you want to call their work?, their office?...ugh...stop. Not speedy.
    01-07-09 12:12 PM
    ...ugh...stop. Not speedy.
    lmfao. this made me giggle. lolz bt ii def see your point.
    01-07-09 12:34 PM
    Great idea's!!

that hover over speed dial numbers to reveal name would be a nice and very useful feature.

Will make a note to stay away from facecall - nice explanation!

I agree with how it's annoying if you set it down 'not right' it switches and you have to re-place it down.

Also with how going from view to view when trying to answer is still buggy.. but i'm still running .76
    01-07-09 09:34 PM
    Keep in mind FaceCall is still in early development. Can't please everybody, but I would like the option to SMS/call someone in that program, but the way the Storm does it is a little ridiculous. I mean, if I am in the SMS inbox and I hit the "new" button, why is it asking me if I want to email, SMS, PIN, etc? Annoying. Also, why would I want to SMS to someones work or home number?

For me, the quickest way to call people that I would put in my speed dial is to set my phone app to open up my Call Log, and to have my Call Log sorted by most called.

Green Button->Select name->Green button again
    01-07-09 09:50 PM
    I like the Windows Mobile method -and it is the BIGGEST thing I miss about WM.

Dialing 2 gets you a 2 - but also pulls up any contact with an A,B, or C in it. Hit 3 next and the left side of the screen has 23 while the right shows contacts with those letter combinations.

You can either finish typing the number or choose a name. If I wanted to call a friend like Keith Cantrell I would Dial 5#22 and I would select it from the matching list of contacts.

I really miss it.

EDIT-
    The recently dialed numbers are also better with WM. If I hit send, I get the dial pad and a list of recently sent numbers. If I called their house last and want to try their cell I jit send -> highlight the name -> scroll left or right through the list of numbers -> select the cell and hit send. Or "TXT" and send a text.
    Last edited by ckelly33; 01-07-09 at 10:27 PM.
    01-07-09 10:23 PM
    On previous Window PDA phones that I have had the speed dial would allow you to add up to 99 speed dials. Using it was easy. Say you wanted to call speed dial 12.... You would press the 1 and then press and hold down the 2 until the phone dialed. Very easy to use. That seems like the easiest fix for expanding the speed dial list

I really miss having more than 8 speed dials.....
    01-07-09 11:13 PM
    I was always used to having more than 9 speed dial numbers. Now I am only limited to 9 with the Storm. It's like who are my fav 9? Come on RIM can't we have more speed dial numbers for the Storm???
    01-08-09 02:02 AM
    I really need the letter speed dial back - this is a big step backwards with the 9530 - keep hoping leaked upgrades will bring it back, not so far!
    03-09-09 05:43 PM
    A bit of an old thread highwood.

While RIM/Verizon have yet to address this, a 3rd-party developer has. Check out Quick Launch. It does EXACTLY what we all wanted it to do and, when you assign it to one of the side keys, you can bring it up from ANY screen. Works flawlessly.

It's an OTA download and, I think they even have a free trial now.

Here's the link to it...yes...free trial available ($4.99 to buy but it REALLY is worth it...read the reviews on here).

QuickLaunch - Launch Websites, Email / SMS, Phone #'s, 3rd Party Apps, Music, Vids, Pics and more! - Personal Productivity Blackberry Software
    03-10-09 09:05 AM
    For me, the quickest way to call people that I would put in my speed dial is to set my phone app to open up my Call Log, and to have my Call Log sorted by most called.
    I like that... thanks!

JD
    03-10-09 09:15 AM
    I use the voicedial option. press the button then say "call 'name' mobile" where name is address book entry. Mobile can be Home, mobile, work, etc. This is what works for me...
    03-10-09 03:55 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD