Hey everyone, i am getting sick of Rogers and really the way i have been treated as a customer, i think i'm going to move all my services, TV and Internet as well as cell, but before i switched i just wanted to reach out to everyone and hear what their thoughts are on Telus of if they have any tips / advice. I am looking for another bberry with a good amount of minutes. I am worried of making the switch because as soon as i moved to Canada i had Bell and don't want to experience anything like that again.
    Thank you all in advance. If you can give me some examples of your experiences with Telus it would be great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 10:05 AM
    i've been with telus for 3 years and just renewed for another 3 along with a storm and have no comlains.
    as for plans there is a thread with what people have and how much they play for under the telus forum...
    01-06-09 12:21 PM
    go to telusmobility.com and have a look around....theres lots of diff plans available. Ive been with Telus for about 7-8 years now. I've nvr really had any major problems with them. They're pretty good for giving you credits n stuff if u end up on the wrong plan in the beginning. I also got my Pearl for free when they were still ovr $100 bux on a 3 yr contract. They're def not the worst cell provider around! lol If that says much at all anyways!
    Last edited by STYLN; 01-06-09 at 02:36 PM.
    01-06-09 02:29 PM
    telus is pretty good and dont pay much only downside is no mms which was thinkin cuz they got the storm they would maybe enable it but nope besides that not bad
    01-06-09 02:31 PM
    I have been with telus for over 2 years and have no complaints.I have found their customer service and cell network very good.
    01-06-09 03:40 PM
    Been with them for over 10 years if you count the time when it was operating as ClearNet. I have always had prompt and friendly service and no major problems. I had some minor billing problems but they were worked out to my approval and once I got free airtime thrown in to compensate for my inconvenience.

The only minor disappointment I have is that their Blackberry tech support could be better. The last couple of times I called, they couldn't help me solve my problems. I ended up figuring out things for myself . But overall, I really like Telus based on my many years with them.

01-07-09 03:50 PM
    Big telus fan here. Been with them since they were Clear net and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. They have great plans and their phone selection continues to improve. At any rate, personally I'd rather have no cell phone at all than have to deal with Rogers. HATE rogers. Useless customer support, endless billing issues and so on and so on. I'll be switching internet and cable soon.

01-07-09 09:28 PM
    Big telus fan here. Been with them since they were Clear net and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. They have great plans and their phone selection continues to improve. At any rate, personally I'd rather have no cell phone at all than have to deal with Rogers. HATE rogers. Useless customer support, endless billing issues and so on and so on. I'll be switching internet and cable soon.

Where are you switching your cable and internet to? I live in Toronto and the other option here is Bell and i promised myself after i had a bell bberry i would never give them anymore business but if there was another option i would be on top of it.

01-08-09 09:57 AM
    WOW is Rogers really that bad? I was acually going to switch from Telus in the next while to get an iphone. I havent had any really major issues with Telus in the 11 years of being with them but just wanted a change. And really dig the iphone. But Im in Alberta so maybe the Customer support is better here?
    01-09-09 02:57 AM
    i could never switch to a cdma carrier (my $.02)
    01-09-09 04:08 AM
    Hey me coo

I also live in TO. I don't know who I'll be switching to yet since options are so limited. Right now i'm in the process of evaluating options.

01-09-09 07:55 AM
    Rogers is not horrible but for the amount i'm paying i don't think it's worth it. Rogers customer service is not great, the only way you get things done is through the retention department. I don't care for the Iphone but i guess at this time i'm just trying to cut my costs down and Rogers has been taking a lot from me. For ex. the same Internet service i'm getting from Rogers is $20 cheaper with Bell but i just can't imagine giving any money to Bell.

01-09-09 08:34 AM
    I was with telus for 4 years, only complaint was having to pay for incoming texts.

01-10-09 04:18 PM
    i could never switch to a cdma carrier (my $.02)
    well it wont matter because by the end of the year they WILL have HSPA and eventually 4G/LTE
    01-10-09 07:56 PM
    I was with Telus for 6 years and i just signed up for another 3 when i got my storm. My contract expired back in October but i signed a new one at the end of December. They were fine with me not signing up at the end of my term and let me keep my plan including all the free bonuses they gave me which was alot. Customer service is by far the best out there...Service is pretty good too. my brother always has 1 extra "service bar" on his phone and he's with rogers but my phone sounds clearer, so it makes no difference i guess. I like telus so much that i keep denying my best friend who works for bell corporate and would give me a corporate account for peanuts and they would pay for the cancellation fee too. but i love Telus, i wont switch!!!
    01-11-09 07:21 AM
    I had switched from Rogers to Telus back in July. My average bill with Rogers every month was $325.00. My average bill now is $140.00. The plan I have now is even better than the one I had at Rogers.
    I have found that the customer service at Telus has been excellent, and coverage and service in my area is pretty much the same for both

That being said, there are a couple of things that I cant do on Telus (CDMA) that I was able to do on Rogers (GSM)

Text Messaging - Telus your limited to 140 characters per message. Rogers was unlimited.
    Text Notification - When sending a text on Rogers from my Blackberry I would get a notification Icon if the message was delivered. None on Telus
    Phone Choices - More choices for a GSM type phone. Also alot cheaper to replace if you have too.

I would suggest (I know this is gonna **** alot of Telus dealers off) that if if you decide to go with Telus, to deal directly with TelusMobility in negotiating a contract. Phone them and tell them that you are a Rogers client and would like to move to Telus and what can you offer me. The problem with dealing with a Telus Authorized Dealer is that they cannot negotiate extras that TelusMobility is able to.
    When I recently purchased my Storm I went to a Telus Authorized Dealer (Tom Harris Cellular) and they charged me $660.00 for the phone (had to buy outright because my contract was so new) $35.00 phone replacement charge, and told me Telus would be charging me $25.00 on my bill as well for handset change. When I called Telus to complain about being charged $660.00 for a phone that they advertise on their site for $599, they told me that Telus Authorized Dealers are independently owned and can charge whatever they like. TelusMobility did end up crediting my account for $60.00 + tax

Cheers
    Last edited by stoxx; 01-11-09 at 10:35 AM.
    01-11-09 10:32 AM
    Thanks a lot for all your help, i'm gonna call Telus today and see what they can do.

01-13-09 07:51 AM
    Rogers sucks. Telus is the best. I've been with bell and Rogers and I freakin hated them both. Rogers was a piece of crap and bell was a rip off. I love Telus. Anything you need they are more than willing to give. Trust me. As long as you don't yell and get upset they will be repectfula and polite.

01-18-09 06:42 PM
    I've been with Telus for over 10 years, their cellular service is good and I was very happy with their customer service up until a few years back. Now it seems that trying to get anything is a hassle.. Last contract I signed, I got my first bill, they were charging me for airtime but not providing any dates of when the calls were made, what numbers they were made to and how long they were.. So I called and they told me it was an extra $3.00 for that? Like really?

I had my phone in for warranty it went in a few days before it was up.. I got it back it worked fine for a few days then I had the same problem again.. When I called in they wouldn't do anything for me as my warranty had run out, which fair enough, I would have gone for that, but the phone was never fixed in the first place.
    So I said **** it, I'm done with them. I called with no other intention but to buy out my contract expecting them to be like oh, you owe us X-amount of money but I actually got a really nice guy who said that he would give me the detailed billing and a few other things..

On the other hand, I called Rogers a few times to find out about their plans and such and I wanted on hold for over 15 minutes everytime..

Pick your poison..
    01-20-09 12:41 PM
    I keep hearing that Rogers has better cell coverage than Telus, but my boyfriend and I both had the pearls, his from Rogers, and when we took roadtrips I would always have bars when he wouldn't, every time, so I dunno.

Plus, doesnt Telus offer an unlimited data plan whereas Rogers doesn't? Or do they have one now?
    01-21-09 04:37 PM
    I have unlimited data on Telus
    01-21-09 05:03 PM
    so ya, the cons are that TELUS blackberry and PDA units do not have the MMS function. more accurately they have the MMS function blocked. they do, however, have a few things in place so that you can still kinda do it.
    also it is a CDMA carrier so you cant just swap sim card out to another phone, you gotta call their wonderful customer service.
    01-21-09 05:22 PM
    I just bought my new curve yesterday from my local telus carrier here, Countrywide. I have bought 3 phones from them and they carry the MIKE contract for the school. I would give a reccomendation to deal with one o the reps through the store, Ryan.

I had a razr that was dead and still had 18 months left in my 3 year contract. When he called into head office they did some deals with me on the curve, with the 30 dollar data, and grandfathered my previous deal of having weekends starting at 5 pm. I was thrilled and Ryan spent lots of time setting up my device, showing me some of the featurs and told me to pop in whenever. Personally, I would deal with him. He has been with the store long enough and is not some young person who lacks grace in talking with the public. That is big with me.
    01-26-09 12:31 AM
    In BC's hinterland there are some areas better served by Telus. Check out coverage maps on the respective websites to see whether you are affected.

Some of the comments above about a non-desire to switch to a CDMA carrier ala Telus, Bell, Virgin, is warranted if you want more phone choice and/or are a world traveller. Since the majority of the world is GSM and not CDMA, more phones are developed and/or brought to market first for the GSM market.

If you are happy with the phone hardware lineup offered by Telus, and are going to use your phone in North America you are well served by Telus. Sure Telus offers a very limited amount of World Phones which have the non-North American GSM bands.

99% of my usage is in urban areas, so I am well served by Rogers and very happy with the GSM service. I should note that in areas like Alberta, I'm pretty sure Rogers has more coverage than Telus.

I moved 30 company phones from Telus to Rogers a while back. Telus signal service was great, Rogers is great too. Had a guy in Whitehorse a couple weeks ago and his Rogers phone did not work there. He failed to remember to ask me for the one Telus phone I keep for just that reason...

Give it lots of thought. They each have their +'s

I like my SIM card / GSM phones

01-26-09 12:50 AM
    I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to get a good deal through the company I was working for at the time with Roger's. I stuck with Telus due to the coverage area.

I ski and hike, and I had cell service on the top of a mountain in the Crowsnest Pass, a friend that was with me lost Roger's service about 200 metres off the highway.
    01-27-09 12:27 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD