Hi everybody. I have theBB 8130 from Bell Mobility in Canada. the problem is that I suscribe for Gps at $10.00 per month and you have 1 free month of use. but the problem is the application cannot open because it tell me CAN'T CONNECT TO SERVER (10). I went on OPTION, ADVANCED OPTION, HOST ROUTING TABLE to register. And I received a message that my BB is registered without problem. Always the same thing, not working at all. I took of the battery to reboot the bb, nothin work. When I call for help they telling me that I need to be outside because the gps inside will never work it's made for outdoor use (in a car, for example). and it may take 24 to 48 hours to operate properly, now it's 4 days now, same result, not working. I can use google map without problem. But I want to be more precise about the location. Doe's anyone had the same problem?? Can somedoby could help me please.
    01-01-08 07:15 AM
    I had the same problem with my old device BB 7130e. It is true that you get the best reception outside. The GPS service you subscribe too should be able to pin-point error (10). Whether it is connection to your phone carrier or connection to you GPS Carrier. Call your phone carrier Bell and see if they know of this problem also in option/advanced option, applications, select your GPS program, hit menu and eddit permissions, make sure everything says allow all.
    01-01-08 09:27 AM
    I believe that the server it is referring to is the cell tower that should be feeding the map that goes with your location.

It is true that your need to have line of vision with the satellites (which are orbitting over the equator) to find your location. If you are able to use the "My location" option in Google Maps, there is no issue with the satellite reception. Unless you have lots of windows nearby (prefereably south-facing when you are in the northern hemisphere), you are going to have trouble getting a line of sight to the satellites. Even out in the open, it will often take several minutes to connect with satellites. I was reading a review in which the revewer was very impressed that the BlackBerry could establish a satellite connection in as little as 3 minutes.

Most applications that use GPS will pair the co-ordinates from the satellite with some kind of map or similar that comes from the cell tower.

I'm not clear on which application you are having trouble with.
    01-01-08 06:24 PM
    Are you on the Unlimited Email & IM $15 plan from Bell?

If so then you won't be able to do anything on your device except email and pin message.
    01-01-08 07:44 PM
    Thank you for all of your answers. I don't have the Unlimited Email & IM $15 plan from Bell. Thanks again, and have a happy new year.
    01-02-08 01:46 AM
    For the folks with the 8130 with Bell, do you have the refresh location menu option when you go to the Options>Advanced>GPS? For some reason I do not have that option available on mine and I am wondering why.
    01-04-08 01:24 PM
    For some reason I do not have that option available on mine and I am wondering why.
    Because it's CDMA and aGPS.
    01-05-08 03:05 PM
    Clarification: Actually Google Maps first tries to approximate your location using cell towers but that is usually in a range like 1000 to 4000 metres. Once it finds one or more GPS signals and locks into them (should take up to 5 minutes) the accuracy should be closer to 20 metres or even less.
    01-05-08 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD