Hey everyone. I've read up in a few other forums and have found bits and pieces of info leading to verizon totally ripping off mac users, but its possible I misunderstood or that I simply amd not doing something correctly. I definitely need help though:

I have a blackberry curve 8330 and a macbook. Recently, my blackberry has reffused to make calls, or at least, let me hear people when they call. I can dial numbers and people can call me, I can see when they 'connect' or pick up my calls [screen says "connected"] but I cannot hear anyone once they pick up. I have been told from people I have called that they could hear me saying "hello? HELLO?" but I am still unable to hear them answer. I have since begun picking up calls and answering the silence with "my phone isn't working. send me an email if you can hear this" The latest news from people I have called is that they either can't hear me at all or that it is indecipherable.

I went into verizon to find a cure, and they said I should perform software updates. My internet at home is fickle at best, and I asked if there was any way they could simply update it in the store (surely they can't assume that every BB owner has the means to do their own updates, and if they don't, too bad?). They reffused to help me in the store, so I resigned myself to giving it a try at home. They gave me a cd that they said would give me a program enabling me to back up my information, but I'm not sure if it was because of my mac, or the cd was just useless, but I found no such option anywhere in the program or on the cd. So I have been online in coffee shops downloading desktop managers and pocketmac syncmanagers hoping one of those will not only WORK, but provide me some route to the needed updates. I have not had any luck yet (I can't get desktop manager to run on my mac, and pocketmac has no update options that I can find so far) I have also tried doing the 'web based' upgrade and nothing has worked. They are all files that I cannot open or that I do not have the programs to open.

I recently called verizon and was told that I have no other option than to get the updates somehow on a PC.

This seems ridiculous? There must be a genius out there who has found a way to overstep this seemingly obvious fault in their system? I looked around in the Curve 83XX forum and saw OS updates. Are these for mac?
    I'm sorry I'm not more informed, but I just keep getting more and more confused.

Please let me know if anyone has come up with a solution to this yet.
    I haven't been able to make calls, personal or business, for a week now and it is unbelievably inconvenient. Please help if you can.

Thank you so much,
    Haley
    01-05-09 04:54 PM
    While I'm afraid I cannot help you with your problem, I have to say that yours is one of the most thought out first posts I have seen on a forum. Kudos to you, and I hope you find the help you seek.

Edit: Have you by any chance pulled the battery?
    Last edited by timberdc; 01-05-09 at 05:33 PM.
    01-05-09 05:22 PM
    You my friend need to talk with RIM. This is their software and if it does not support MAC, then nothing VZW can do. There are some stores out there that have great techs and would be able to help you. these are few and far between. This case is no different then any other company that puts out software and MAC is the forgotten step child. Although I have rumors that this MIGHT be resolved in the future.

Maybe we should yell at those that pocket MAC and magic Sync and ask them whey they do support BB upgrades in their software. Just a thought.

Come to think of it, I do not think any caarrier BB upgrades support MAC, oh yes they all use RIM's Desktop Manager
    01-05-09 05:31 PM
    If ur on a mac try downloading vmware and a package of windows and perforfing rthe upgrade this way...bein a mac owner this is the only possible way to upgrade os on a mac...also even though verizon wasn't helpful this is more rims fault then vzw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 05:33 PM
    You might try walking into a different Verizon store with your issue and simply tell them you don't own a computer or have access to one that will allow software installation.

They sell the service and provided you with the phone -- they SURELY have the means to help you even if you've run into someone who's otherwise reluctant to help.
    01-05-09 05:49 PM
    VZW support in the store was not knowlegeable or helpful in this situation but I think it may have more to do with a lack of Mac than anything.

As said above, this is a RIM thing & not VZW. Friend recently had a similar issue with a new Berry through AT&T. The device was less than a week old. He was told something along the lines of "sorry, we sold you the wrong phone - you need an iPhone!"

Needless to say, he wasn't impressed, but after I explained the reality of it all, he installed everything through Windows (on his Mac) and all went well.

Generally, the carriers will tell you how to update. From there, you're on your own. If you have a compatible update source, great. If not, it is up to you to get one.

01-05-09 06:00 PM
    You could also install bootcamp, I too use a mac so I have had to do this as well, instead of installing vmware. IMO bootcamp seems to be a little more stable than vmware. Just an alternative. Good luck and I hope that you get your issue resolved
    01-05-09 06:06 PM
    I've seen the call connect issue before. Usually a battery pull clears it up.

01-05-09 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD