I have just bought 4GB additional memory and am wondering if I can assign some of it to the application memory? Put it this way, I can see 23.8MB free space under application memory and 3.8GB free space under media card. I am trying to use some of this media card memory to boost the application memory - make sense?

Also should I change any settings on my bb now I have this media card? All I have done is to fit it into the bb. I am not going to be downloading music or films (I am deaf so can't hear anything) and I won't take 4GB of photos/videos.

Sorry to be such an *****! My very first bb and I am trying hard to set it up.
    01-05-09 06:10 AM
    there is a difference between free memory and free space. "Space" is for storage and can not be allocated for memory use.
    01-05-09 06:37 AM
    I know what you're saying, I used to be able to do this with my old HTC apache, but I haven't been able to do it since. On either my 6800 or my BB
    01-05-09 06:44 AM
    oh dear! this means I am going to be stuck for purchasing some software as obviously I won't have sufficient memory on my bb for it. Strangely, I have not loaded extra programs and using the XP bb desktop manager have actually removed things I don't want. So, in other words there are is a lot of software on the market that I can't download for free or purchase it as I only have 23.8MB free application space available? oh dear!
    Thanks both of you for your help.
    01-05-09 06:57 AM
    oh dear! this means I am going to be stuck for purchasing some software as obviously I won't have sufficient memory on my bb for it. Strangely, I have not loaded extra programs and using the XP bb desktop manager have actually removed things I don't want. So, in other words there are is a lot of software on the market that I can't download for free or purchase it as I only have 23.8MB free application space available? oh dear!
    Kinda lost here. What are you planning to load that'll eat up all your mem?
    01-05-09 07:03 AM
    You are asking 2 different questions. The 23.8MB is MEMORY, not storage space. When you go into the Memory Options, you should see available device storage space under device memory. They are 2 different things.
    01-05-09 07:12 AM
    I think the memory your are talking about is for running apps. After you reboot/battery pull your phone, check the memory. It should go up. Kinda like RAM on a PC. When it running sluggish and the RAM is full of garbage from previous programs, reboot and it wipes it out for you.
    01-05-09 08:17 AM
    hmmm i would like to knoow how to do this as well if possible.. i only have 25.9 MB of memory so far yaa im waiting for firefox fennec
    01-05-09 08:34 AM
    do a search for deleteing sample photos...that frees up about 5mb i think
    01-05-09 09:07 AM
    01-05-09 09:09 AM
    I tried searching and the only thing I could find is to delete all of the sample pics....I like a few of them, so how can I select the ones I want to delete personally?
    01-05-09 09:10 AM
    That number does not represent how much room you have for installing applications - you should have at least 800mb of space for installing applications. That number you are looking at is the available RAM.
    01-05-09 09:11 AM
    OK here it is. Simple way to delete sample pictures.

media>menu key>explore>system>samples>pictures>menu key>delete
    01-05-09 09:16 AM
    nevermind only option there is to hide them sorry
    01-05-09 09:17 AM
    That number does not represent how much room you have for installing applications - you should have at least 800mb of space for installing applications. That number you are looking at is the available RAM.
    No, that's completely incorrect. Available app memory is 128MB - whatever the OS takes. Usually leaves everyone with 4xMB of free space. You CANNOT use the 1GB of internal memory or the Media Card to run or install apps to. Please do not post incorrect info.
    01-05-09 09:51 AM
    Ok, I now understand the memory! It seems that looking at the memory I did not scan down far enough on my screen so what I was seeing was application memory and I was not seeing the details below, namely device memory and media card and yes I do have enough free space now. I can be such a goof at times.
    01-05-09 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD