CX, Don and the other BB Masters -

I know that if you search the forums, you will find these reasons in thousands of individual posts. I recommend that BEFORE the next OS is leaked, that someone consolidate all of these reasons into one uber-post, outlining the things people should consider before touching a leaked OS.

Things like:

- If you are on a BES, check with your IT department first
    - clear understanding that Verizon won't touch your BB with a leaked OS on it
    - That there will more than likely be unexpected problems with the new OS that wasn't there before (giving examples)
    etc, etc, etc

There seem to be so many people that upgrade to a leaked OS and get upset because they didn't know something, or are upset that it doesn't solve world hunger.

Just a suggestion - it might save a couple thousand threads over the next couple of months to have this centralized in one list, compiled by the BB Masters.

MNG
    01-04-09 09:31 PM
    I bet if you write your OP up as if it were the uber thread it could possible be stickied!

good idea btw
    01-04-09 09:35 PM
    I think you'll find that a lot of this has already been said to people over and over. It's like the old "Don't do drugs" line. People wanting to not listen because of the urge, will still do it. The problem comes from all the noobs who would have issus upgrading a fully supported OS that this cause a problem with. I would say about 98% of the users here fall within that category. People that have no business running these versions because they end up botching something and instead of easily fixing it, they return the phone to the carrier by mistake and then inturn cost RIM money. Those are the real problem for us all, not those who know what's going on.
    01-04-09 09:38 PM
    I am so not a master of BB - could not do it justice. It is an important topic and needs an expert.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 09:40 PM
    Good idea.
    Really, though, I'm just glad that the higher powers are allowing leaks to be posted in the first place. Didn't used to be that way.
    01-04-09 09:40 PM
    Woah, Civic, we are all here to learn......you were there once too. Luckily it is also easy to return your phone to an official version if you're not happy with a leaked version......
    01-04-09 09:42 PM
    1. I have BES and never had any issues as a result of a linked OS
    2. Verizon has replaced my phone twice; and each time I had a leaked OS system on it. They could not have cared less.
    3. Every leaked OS has without a doubt been an improvement. No unexpected problems.

Find some new reasons

01-04-09 09:42 PM
    We appreciate all that you have done.........all of you have helped us with answers, alternatives, fixes, etc.......but you can't forget that none of us know everything, which is WHY WE ARE HERE. Please respect the fact that the noobs don't know everything and are here to learn more.....
    01-04-09 09:47 PM
    I think this phone's so-far overwhelming popularity is also a crippling problem on these forums... There are so many new early adopters here that some of them spill over into the inquisitive "newbie" category and wind up flooding the forums with their - while best-intentioned - completely uninformed and impatient posts.

I think there are a whole lot of people out there expecting a brand new venture from RIM to be on par with Apple's 2.2-era iPhone without recognizing the evolution in that phone's software or the differences between the two phones.

A lot of that probably has to do with Verizon's obviously extremely successful marketing, and while in the long run putting tons of Storms on the street will make for an awesome lineup of 1st and 3rd party software, in the short run it also creates 100+ page threads of people asking dumb questions on posts about leaked OSs.
    01-04-09 09:49 PM
    I think there's a whole bunch of "...at your own risk" lingo that gets thrown around when they're released.

I think that about covers it.
    01-04-09 09:51 PM
    If "at your own risk" doesn't cover it, I don't know what does.....
    01-04-09 09:52 PM
    Woah, Civic, we are all here to learn......you were there once too. Luckily it is also easy to return your phone to an official version if you're not happy with a leaked version......
    I think you took my post as meant in a different verbal tone. I don't have a problem with anyone being here to learn, but you can't take someone who's never shot a gun and put a fully loaded unit in their hand and push them out into a tactical field test. It won't end well. That's all I meant. There's nothing wrong with learning, but you must walk before you can run. I don't think I'm alone in saying that a lot of you don't do enough reading on here before you post... let alone before you actually try something that's new to you. That's all, not being mean, not being rude... just speaking calmly and about the true situation at hand.
    01-04-09 09:54 PM
    We appreciate all that you have done.........all of you have helped us with answers, alternatives, fixes, etc.......but you can't forget that none of us know everything, which is WHY WE ARE HERE. Please respect the fact that the noobs don't know everything and are here to learn more.....
    The only problem i have with this is that majority of the time people refuse to use the search option.
    01-04-09 09:54 PM
    The only problem i have with this is that majority of the time people refuse to use the search option.
    Couldn't agree more. Too bad it will never happen
    01-04-09 10:03 PM
    I love how tons of people post "use search" in a thread. No one wants duplicate threads on things already covered, but they will sure post in those threads to keep em going. Makes a ton of sense......
    Last edited by Jaysus Cutler6; 01-04-09 at 10:08 PM.
    01-04-09 10:05 PM
    Suggestion: I have noticed that in many forums when they want someone to read something, they redirect them to a specific thread. Maybe when users enter the Storm OS/OS Beta discussion thread they can be redirected to a post that explains the pros/cons of installing a leaked beta. Then, you can ask them to reply to the thread with a special keyword or something so then they can go further. Once they have replied -- they would never come to that prompt again.

At least that way if we see they had replied to the thread we could call them out when they do something they should have known better about :-p
    01-04-09 10:08 PM
    As stated, the phrase "at your own risk" is present in the beta os release threads, and should frankly speak for itself. If a new or simply uneducated user chooses not to heed this warning and bricks their device, that's their issue. The last thing we need is yet another useless sticky reiterating information which is openly posted, yet people choose to ignore.

01-04-09 10:16 PM
    I'm perfectly happy with .75

01-04-09 10:32 PM
    Suggestion: I have noticed that in many forums when they want someone to read something, they redirect them to a specific thread. Maybe when users enter the Storm OS/OS Beta discussion thread they can be redirected to a post that explains the pros/cons of installing a leaked beta. Then, you can ask them to reply to the thread with a special keyword or something so then they can go further. Once they have replied -- they would never come to that prompt again.

At least that way if we see they had replied to the thread we could call them out when they do something they should have known better about :-p
    I've seen in all forums a thing called a "search" function.

Stupid people need to stop making new threads and use it.
    01-04-09 10:47 PM
    First of all, Civic is not necessarily talking about you in particular. Civic is talking about the hoards of people that upgrade and in the process brick the **** out of their phone and take it to Verizon instead of fixing the phone themselves. you are obviously not the problem, but others very well may make it almost impossible for us to continue to get leaks if they keep causing problems with RIM
    01-04-09 11:36 PM
    Ok...what was the goal of this thread again?
    01-05-09 01:41 AM
    Maybe a list of 10 or so questions.

"Before updating your BB with a leaked OS, can you honestly answer the following questions...?"

1) What does DM stand for and what does it do?

2) What is JL Commander?

3) What's the difference between .75 that was leaked early and .75 that was officially released by Verizon?

4) How do you resend your Service Books?

5) Why are there currently no Themes available for the Storm?

etc, etc.

This isn't a quiz so, please don't post your answers!

It's more of a self-realization questionnaire. If you don't really know most, if not all answers, you're probably not ready to upgrade your BB to an unsupported OS.

I'm FAR from a BB expert. When I've done my updates, I've made sure I had the "How to increase your memory" HowTo up in one tab of my browser, the "How to wipe with JL Commander" thread up in another tab, the step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade the OS is another tab, and the "How to back up 3rd party apps thread" in yet another tab.

All the information laid out in front of me...and I read over it all, BEFORE I do anything. I want to know what to expect and what problems I might run into BEFORE I start!
    01-05-09 08:46 AM
    kind of common sense.....
    01-05-09 08:49 AM
    NMG- Your heart is in the right place, but Don's OP in the sticky dealing with betas covers all of this-

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/

Maybe with each beta release one should review this first. I have it copied to a word doc so I can reference it. Just a thought.
    01-05-09 08:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD