I have successfully tethered my Bold to my laptop using a USB cable and the instructions in the faq. However, my speeds are very slow, in the 300/200 kbs range, nowhere close to the 3g speeds people have reported.

Does anyone know how to create a connection to tether a Bold with AT&T that will force use of 3g? Thanks.

Knocka
    01-04-09 02:23 PM
    Welcome to cb.com! In my experience, communication manager will always use the best possible connection available. You might try to restart your pc and also do a battery pull on your device to reset everything and try again.
    01-04-09 02:26 PM
    I could not get a connection using Communication Manager. It gave me an Error 734 message. In trying to troubleshoot that issue, I noticed that it kept deleting the Modem Initialization String in Modem Properties. So I gave up on it. I thought that you may need a tethering plan from AT&T in order to use Communication Manager. Any help would be appreciated.
    01-04-09 04:08 PM
    I would also like to know how to tether using 3G. Looking at the online manual for ATT Communications Manager, the main panel shows the little "3G" logo but I haven't gotten that yet. When I click on "Connect to a Network", under "dial-up connection" it shows both "GSM" and "3G Connection". I try the 3G one and it immediately fails every time, even though my phone is getting 3G. The GSM one works though (except for the two hours this afternoon when I was getting Error Message 718). Can anyone explain the settings I should be using to get 3G???

One thing I've noticed is that when I go to Properties under GSM, it shows a phone number of *99***2#, whereas the phone number under 3G only shows "ppp". Could that be the problem? What phone number should be in there???

By the way I've only been tethering one day and am having worlds of problems with it. Not sure if it's worth the $30/month.
    01-06-09 06:04 PM
    There's another thread on how to get around that thirty dollar extra monthly charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 11:37 PM
    Hi ItnStln511 where is the thread FAQ on Bold tethering via ATT ? I could use it, I am still looking. THANKS
    01-26-09 12:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD