Hi guys,

Just got a storm yesterday - very happy with it so far. Can't believe I made it this long without a blackberry...

In any case, I am trying to get an email account to work but have had no look. It's an outlook web access account. I've tried putting in the login http address, i've tried my user name (with and without domain)...but every time the blackberry retorts that my email can't be set up.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom? I've tried searching for this issue here and on google but to no avail.

Thanks for your help.
    NM
    01-02-09 02:21 AM
    have you tried setting it up through the BIS site?

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en
    01-02-09 02:27 AM
    is it a company email account? outlook web access is exchange. if its a company account they may have a BES server for blackberry. did you check?
    01-02-09 02:48 AM
    OWA is http based. In order to setup email account you will need either a POP3 or IMAP capable account. Try the URL given above and enter your full email address along with password. The link given in your question won't help.

If you have a IT Admin guy and you treat him nice usually, just get him to help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 05:24 AM
    OWA is http based. In order to setup email account you will need either a POP3 or IMAP capable account. Try the URL given above and enter your full email address along with password. The link given in your question won't help.

If you have a IT Admin guy and you treat him nice usually, just get him to help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

This is completely wrong and inaccurate information. You do NOT need imap or pop. BIS also supports http access to email using the OWA address in Exchange.

OP: Make sure you are using the correct URL for OWA. It should end in "exchange" and most of the time this is NOT the URL you use to login. To get the correct URL go to your OWA login page and try to login using a bad password. The error page that Exchange puts up will have the full URL (copy the address, it should end in "exchange")

For "mailbox name" use ONLY your account name. This is the name you use to login to Active Directory and does NOT contain your domain name.

For account name or user name, THIS is where you want to use DOMAIN\USERNAME
    Last edited by jjd228; 01-02-09 at 07:08 AM.
    01-02-09 07:03 AM
    Yeah, johnlieu2005 is completely wrong. I have several OWA accounts setup on mine and they work fine.

One thing that always gets people is if your login name is different then the email address. For example, if [email protected] is your email, but your login is not jdoe, but JaneDoe instead. By default the connection wizard will try and use the first part of your email address as the userid. You'll have to set this up under advanced for the BIS email account creation wizard.

Another thing that always causes issues is if the site is SSL secured with an ISA server. SSL is not the problem, but the ISA portion is. It's a known issue that RIM hasn't corrected yet.
    01-02-09 07:32 AM
    Like jjd28 said. Also use Opera to log onto the OWA, it gives you the proper address unlike Outlook.
    I had the same issue since our company uses OWA.
    01-02-09 08:03 AM
    Yeah, johnlieu2005 is completely wrong. I have several OWA accounts setup on mine and they work fine.

One thing that always gets people is if your login name is different then the email address. For example, if [email protected] is your email, but your login is not jdoe, but JaneDoe instead. By default the connection wizard will try and use the first part of your email address as the userid. You'll have to set this up under advanced for the BIS email account creation wizard.

Another thing that always causes issues is if the site is SSL secured with an ISA server. SSL is not the problem, but the ISA portion is. It's a known issue that RIM hasn't corrected yet.
    Interesting (for real, not being sarcastic LOL)... I use 2 ISA servers in an Enterprise Array configuration to reverse proxy OWA and I have never had an issue using the HTTPS URL for OWA on my BB's. If you're wondering why I use OWA instead of BES, it's because I like my privacy (some of us Exchange/BES Engineers spend entire DAYS reading other people's emails and text messages. Not that i would ever do something like this )
    01-02-09 08:22 AM
    The URL that BB uses (for OWA) cannot be modified. When you go thru ISA, the ISA changes the URL. BB cannot accomodate this change and it fails. RIM is well aware of this and refuses to fix it. If you have it working, then the ISA must be setup to not change the URL, This is NOT the function of reverse proxy.

Interesting (for real, not being sarcastic LOL)... I use 2 ISA servers in an Enterprise Array configuration to reverse proxy OWA and I have never had an issue using the HTTPS URL for OWA on my BB's. If you're wondering why I use OWA instead of BES, it's because I like my privacy (some of us Exchange/BES Engineers spend entire DAYS reading other people's emails and text messages. Not that i would ever do something like this )
    01-02-09 09:21 AM
    when i setup my OWA i didn't even have to get into adding domain etc. all i did was type my username and password and it set everything up.

one thing i figured out though is that they recommend you only have at most 500 emails in your inbox when using OWA.
    01-02-09 09:53 AM
    Guys, can I ask a silly newbie question? So I received the phone from verizon...I set up 2 yahoo accounts and a gmail account. Now when i went to the web-based setup at blackberry.com it asked for a login. I never created a login or password...so can I create one now? Or do I already have a login and password since I can load my gmail and yahoo mail on my 'berry?

Sorry for the confusion...this is all so new to me. Until now I was happy with a dull Razr.
    NM
    01-02-09 02:35 PM
    Hi guys,

Just got a storm yesterday - very happy with it so far. Can't believe I made it this long without a blackberry...

In any case, I am trying to get an email account to work but have had no look. It's an outlook web access account. I've tried putting in the login http address, i've tried my user name (with and without domain)...but every time the blackberry retorts that my email can't be set up.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom? I've tried searching for this issue here and on google but to no avail.

Thanks for your help.
    NM

Also Verizon has 2 different data plans, $29.99 and $44.99. If it's a exchange server and you want to set up your web access you need to have the 44.99 package.
    01-02-09 02:54 PM
    Guys, can I ask a silly newbie question? So I received the phone from verizon...I set up 2 yahoo accounts and a gmail account. Now when i went to the web-based setup at blackberry.com it asked for a login. I never created a login or password...so can I create one now? Or do I already have a login and password since I can load my gmail and yahoo mail on my 'berry?

Sorry for the confusion...this is all so new to me. Until now I was happy with a dull Razr.
    NM
    Ypu can make a user name and pass word on your bb, then you can log on using your computer.
    01-02-09 02:55 PM
    The easy way to check OWA with a BB is to use the Outlook Mobile Access (OMA) feature, which many companies offer. If your company offers OMA, you would enter the URL like this:

webmail.YourCompany.com/oma

I use that on my Storm to check my webmail when I'm not by a computer and feel the need to see what's in my box.
    01-02-09 03:09 PM
    Have you tried it with the S on the end of the http the one I setup at my job looks like this: https://semsmail.xxxxx.com/exchange
    Last edited by dawilliams660; 01-02-09 at 04:25 PM.
    01-02-09 04:22 PM
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I've basically tried everything mentioned in this thread. It seems the only way to get things to work would be if I got my work to add me to their enterprise server...unfortunately they won't be willing to do that for someone in a lowly position like myself (I am a medical resident)...so I'm stuck. I even tried forwarding my email from outlook web access to gmail...but that didn't work either (I suspect they disabled that feature). Our Outlook Web Access doesn't have the mobile edition and requires SSL/ISA...and as I said it seems it just won't work with the blackberry outside of the enterprise server. I've spent over 4 hours trying different domain, server, and logins...all to no avail. Needless to say I'm rather disappointed as this was my #1 reason for getting the storm...caveat emptor I guess...

Anyway I appreciate your input, and seeing how great the blackberry community is has given me a reason for keeping the storm.

Thanks again
    NM
    01-02-09 11:48 PM
    for the username type in your [email protected] instead of domain\username. if this doesn't work talk to your IT Department
    01-03-09 12:03 AM
    As best as I can surmise the issue is that my outlook web access requires SSL and cookies which to my (very limited) knowledge are not supported by the blackberry as the storm seems to require a static server address.
    01-03-09 12:44 AM
    I've been tinkering with this myself, and here's what I've found (this isnt really anything you cant find out yourself with a little searching):

Option 1) OWA: The BB can indeed use owa, it's pretty easy to set up on the BIS site. It just won't work if you're behind an ISA server that's performing the authentication, which is usually how you set it up with ISA. (I'm the admin, heh).

Option 2) BES: Either your companies BES, or there's a single user free version of BES Professional Server, however you'd have to change your account type with your carrier from personal to corporate, and of course you'd have to be able to administer said server. At that point, all your messages and internet traffic actually route through that server. This does apparently have the side effect of putting your blackberry onto your company intranet, which is good for admins like me, but I decided against it because I don't want to route everything through my companies network. This is my personal blackberry

Option 3) Desktop Redirector: If you have your own company pc that you can leave on all the time (or at least any time you want messages on your BB) and you are allowed to install software on it, you can install desktop manager with the corporate email - desktop redirector option. You can receive copies of your outlook email on your BB and reply as if you're at your PC. You won't get contacts, calendar, or any other outlook features though.

Option 4) Outlook Forwarding Rules: Just use the outlook rules wizard to forward emails that match whatever criteria you like to your BB. Depending on the criteria, outlook may be able to put the rule on the exchange server, or it may require the rule to remain client-side, meaning the pc and outlook need to be left running. Any replies you make will come from your BB address, not your work address
    01-03-09 01:21 AM
    I never thought i would be able to get my corporate OWA email on my Storm. Thanks to the advice here it's working!

Rob
    01-03-09 07:05 AM
    I think I might be of some help
    01-03-09 08:03 AM
    Sorry one more post before I can post the url
    01-03-09 08:12 AM
    I counldnt get my wife's work email to work until I found this page View Document I bet it can help you out
    01-03-09 08:13 AM
    Risk I appreciate you posting that link...but sadly none of that worked for me.

ajohnson I really appreciate your comments. I am in exactly the situation you describe. Our OWA is behind an ISA server that does authentication...they won't add me to their BES, and they won't let me forward all of my email. Additionally they prohibit the use of our email account with outlook (some people can get a VPN to use but i'm not one of 'em). So it looks like I am stuck...
    01-03-09 08:35 AM
    Hi..
    Look for the PIN and ESN/MEID

I am trying to login to BIS, I found my PIN, but can someone point me in the direction of my ESN/MEID. I had a look behind the battery but couldn't see it.
    01-03-09 09:01 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD