Yes people, right now i am downloading a 50MB podcast using my blackberry browser. I am getting 33KB/s, but i get poor 3G in my house (it switches back and forth all the time)

If you have been following the threads in this forum about the 5MB limit on downloading files using the blackberry's browser you will know that many people have been complaining about this and no one has found a fix. Yes, some say opera mini works but I never got it to work on 50mb podcasts.

Now there is one caveat. You must be a BES/BPS admin or be friends enough with your BES admin. If you are on BIS, sorry, this wont work for you. Yeah i know it sucks. You must be connected to BES.

Now i cant take credit for this either, I am the Mike from NJ that sent the e-mail that kevin and craig replied to in the blog yesterday about the different browsers and download limit. I have to give credit to craig. He said i could change mime types to get around this. And he was right.

In the BES manager you go to global settings and then go to the media content types. In the properties you can add restrictions for various mime types. but what you can also do is change the maximum kb per connection. so what i did was add

audio/* mime type
    a kb per connection of 75000 (for 75MB)
    and allow for allow/disallow

i think this was more made to disable specific mime types like audio or video but it also works for increasing the file size downloaded through the blackberry browser.

You must also have your blackberry's browser set to "Blackberry Browser" not "Internet Browser"

"Blackberry Browser" uses your BES MDS server.

"Internet Browser" uses rim's BIS server.

So no longer do you have to deal with the annoying "Media too Large" errors. or "Conent too large" errors.

again sorry if your not on BES. i am still trying to figure a workaround for BIS only people. You can try opera mini or podtrapper in the mean time. Podtrapper is made for downloading podcasts but his download manager uses a chunk download feature that gets around the 5mb limit. He is trying to make it so any file can be downloaded using it, not just podcasts.

-mike240se
    01-01-09 08:00 PM
    Yes, this is a known fact around us experienced BES users. It's lovely isn't it.
    01-01-09 08:04 PM
    Yes, this is a known fact around us experienced BES users. It's lovely isn't it.

it sure is! It was the one thing that was making me itchy on switching from winmo. And now that its solved i am 100% happy with the blackberry platform!
    01-01-09 08:19 PM
    Does this work with Blackberry unite? I am thinking about going that way.
    01-01-09 08:22 PM
    Im on BIS and use Blackberry Browser and can download files that are about 5mb at speeds around 350 kbps and in Opera I can download larger files. I tested Opera and was able to download a file about 650MB.
    Last edited by esnetsc; 01-02-09 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Fixed download Speed.
    01-01-09 08:28 PM
    RIM really needs to change this limitation on the BIS proxy servers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 08:35 PM
    Im on BIS and use Blackberry Browser and can download files that are about 5mb at speeds around 550kbs and in Opera I can download larger files. I tested Opera and was able to download a file about 650MB.
    550kbs is not bad at all. thats like 4.4Mbit/s - are you on verizon? i dont think ev-do rev a goes that high.....
    01-01-09 08:40 PM

I totally agree. It really sucks that I have to use a third party browser to do that. Any chance they will change this in the future?
    01-01-09 08:42 PM
    Im on BIS and use Blackberry Browser and can download files that are about 5mb at speeds around 550kbs and in Opera I can download larger files. I tested Opera and was able to download a file about 650MB.
    550k/sec? Damn I have issues breaking 40k/sec
    01-01-09 08:58 PM
    550kbs is not bad at all. thats like 4.4Mbit/s - are you on verizon? i dont think ev-do rev a goes that high.....
    Sorry, I meant 350 Kbps which is about 2.8 Mbps on a good area with coverage and a fast server. EV-DO Rev A can do 3.1 Mbps or 387.50 Kbps. Yes this is on Verizon using the blackberry storm to download directly to the device but it seems Sprint EVDO Rev A is faster then Verizon to download.
    Last edited by esnetsc; 01-02-09 at 12:20 AM.
    01-02-09 12:13 AM
    How do you get speeds like that? Can you post pics or something please? This is what I usually get at my house (have not tried in areas with full bars)

01-02-09 03:16 AM
    poopieboy, 1 bar is really low, i am surprised you even get that
    01-02-09 03:30 AM
    i dont know much about unite, but i will see if i can take a look at see if its possible.
    01-02-09 04:56 AM

Could this be a BIS product parameter that a carrier could change or, is it hard-wired?
    01-02-09 05:00 AM
    How do you get speeds like that? Can you post pics or something please? This is what I usually get at my house (have not tried in areas with full bars)

I get full Bars at my house. You get that because you have only 1 bar, try to get more bars for faster speeds.
    01-02-09 07:03 AM
    Could this be a BIS product parameter that a carrier could change or, is it hard-wired?
    I would think so, but why would they ??? it keeps their data usage down probably.
    01-02-09 04:01 PM
    I am going to try later today in an area with full bars. Can you please post pics of the speeds you are getting?

Lets try to keep this thread alive in hopes that we will get more info regarding the downloading of files larger than 5mb.
    01-02-09 04:06 PM
    Ok, I have BPS, and I have tried this and I still get the blasted Entity To Large Error... To recap.

1) Set a MIME of video/* and video/3gpp
    2) Set size to 8388608
    3) Created a new default policy with nothing set.
    4) videos4blackberry.info and tried to download a Ghost buster episode with my Storm w/ .85

But I still got the error! ARGH!

I have restarted the server multiple times.

And yes I tried it without the 3gpp mime type. Also, I am using the BlackBerry Browser per the OP instructions.

Anybody have an idea?
    01-10-09 07:35 PM
    Ok, I think I got it to work. A few observations.

1) If you hit the back button it does not cancel the download on the Storm. It's like a download manager of sorts. If you use Go to... in the Browser you can get back looking at History and click download... Boy I can't tell you how long it took for me to figure that one out!

2) It takes FOREVER to kick a download off. Like two minutes sometimes. I don't know if that's a setting in my BPS server or not? Thoughts?

3) I can't kick off more than one download at once. I know, I know. What do I want after I can get even one download working? Multiple! If I wait long enough it will time out with an MDS error. But regardless it also disables browsing while I am downloading the file... I will poke more around in the settings.

As far as the slow kick off to download... I increased in the MDS Connection area the timeout, per another post somewhere.

I doubt that could be to blame?

4) Can't seem to get 3gp downloads to work. Has anyone else?
    01-10-09 11:25 PM
    Just download opera mini and that will solve your downLoad issues

01-11-09 10:39 AM
    Question: when was the last time you used Opera Mini to download a large file? On the Storm? The first week I owned my Storm (got it on launch day) Opera Mini was great for large downloads. Then all of a sudden, one day, it stopped working (about a month+ ago).

Head over to the Opera Mini forums. There are a rash of comments talking about that.

With the Firewall turned on in Options, and HTTP or SOCKET (does not matter) I can't download anything, anymore with Opera Mini. When on BES I as of yet can't figure a way to turn the Firewall option off (on the Storm) as it's padlocked. Note: I have full control over my Server. And Opera Mini should work fine with the Firewall turned on.

But anyway, I think it's safe to say that feature no longer is available / works.
    01-11-09 01:05 PM
    Looks like Storm .86 Leak fixed it for Opera Mini! So, this BES stuff might be moot at this point... I guess it was an OS issue... Still a little slow to get the download to start... But I love using Verizon bandwidth up... Even if I don't have a reason
    01-12-09 11:02 PM
    For those of you using a T-Mobile Blackberry with Wi-Fi:

When downloading a file(s) over 5MB do the following...
    (THIS ONLY WORKS UNDER UMA)

On your browser go to..
    Options>
    General Options>
    And select Hotspot Browser as your default browser.

This will use WiFi only for the browser.
    I've used this and gotten speeds up to 285 kb/s.

To test it download a large file such as Blackberry Desktop Manager from the Blackberry website.
    01-14-09 07:31 PM
    Hurray. This solution works for me. My storm is downloading Security Now episode #178.

Thank you so much for posting this.
    01-14-09 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD