i see alot of people asking about how to lock their bolds and get to apps quicker i was wondering how many people use dial from home screen?

ever since the first roundrobin thread this year i found out that if you turn that off you get a massive amount of shortcuts including k to lock your device..

ever since then i have never been able to go back to "dial from home screen"
    01-01-09 01:22 PM
    i see alot of people asking about how to lock their bolds and get to apps quicker i was wondering how many people use dial from home screen?

ever since the first roundrobin thread this year i found out that if you turn that off you get a massive amount of shortcuts including k to lock your device..

ever since then i have never been able to go back to "dial from home screen"
    I use it. I like the convenience of speed dial keys as opposed to shortcut keys.
    01-01-09 02:13 PM
    I prefer having the shortcuts at my disposal. A lot of the shortcuts I hide in folders or just plain hide so it reduces clutter, and they're still accessible!

Though I do find myself mentally spelling out the app to remember the shortcut (ie: calculator).

-m
    01-01-09 02:30 PM
    The shortcuts are a must for me... saves me a ton of time. Plus it's so ez to just hit that green button to make a call...
    01-01-09 02:47 PM
    Used to use it but switched recently. All those lovely shortcuts are much more useful to me and it is no prob as Morganizer says to hit the green button first to make a call. Plus unused keys can still be assigned as speed dial keys anyway.
    01-01-09 03:03 PM
    I'm like Vendettx and like the shortcuts especially k to lock the keyboard as I've disciplined myself to use it as I often carried previous BB devices in pockets and it caused a few problems in the past with unwanted calls.
    01-01-09 03:11 PM
    Used to use it but switched recently. All those lovely shortcuts are much more useful to me and it is no prob as Morganizer says to hit the green button first to make a call. Plus unused keys can still be assigned as speed dial keys anyway.
    Nice point... I DO use speed dials on all unused keys possible and I program my convenience keys to launch apps that don't have shortcut keys. I have a ton of functions available with one keystroke. Much better than dialing from the home screen IMO...
    01-01-09 03:18 PM
    I'm like Vendettx and like the shortcuts especially k to lock the keyboard as I've disciplined myself to use it as I often carried previous BB devices in pockets and it caused a few problems in the past with unwanted calls.
    Okay, what is it I'm getting wrong. I lock my keyboard with the A key, not the K key.
    01-01-09 03:18 PM
    Okay, what is it I'm getting wrong. I lock my keyboard with the A key, not the K key.
    It is K on all the BB's I've had since 2003. May just be my area? A launches the address book for me and always has.
    01-01-09 03:24 PM
    It is K on all the BB's I've had since 2003. May just be my area? A launches the address book for me and always has.
    Now that's weird mine was the A key so I had a look round my menus and locked it from the lock icon. Now it's K to lock and A is for my contacts.

Turn dial from home screen on again and it reverts to A to lock. Turn it off, and it's back to K to lock. Doh!
    01-01-09 03:33 PM
    I love the sortcuts. I can't stand dial from home screen anymore. The shortucts allow for everything to just be faster for me. Its the 'one-touch and its open' that is the absolute best!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 06:05 PM
    Absolutely!! One of the best features there is.
    01-01-09 06:17 PM
    I don't know, I use dial from home screen....tried turning it off but maybe I'm doing somwthing wrong as the shortcuts don't really work...

01-01-09 06:45 PM
    I too traded in dial from home with shortcuts to many apps. Plus, i don't want to dialed 911 by accident.
    01-01-09 07:07 PM
    Now that's weird mine was the A key so I had a look round my menus and locked it from the lock icon. Now it's K to lock and A is for my contacts.

Turn dial from home screen on again and it reverts to A to lock. Turn it off, and it's back to K to lock. Doh!
    On my Bold you have to hold down the A key for a few seconds to lock whether dial from home is turned on or not. A quick tap of the K key locks with it off.

01-01-09 07:24 PM
    i think you guys t alking about the lock key may have confused yourselves.. haha

with OR without dial from home screen on you can lock your keypad by HOLDING A(i.e. the * key) but with dial from home screen turned off you can simply press k and it will lock without having to hold it for a second or 2 etc.. i may be weird but i find it much easier with K
    01-01-09 07:24 PM
    Not I, the shortcuts are just heaven sent.

01-01-09 07:29 PM
    i NEVER have the dial from home screen function on.. I'd rather just press the phone key and move on and keep all my sweet shortcuts
    ESPECIALLY n for bbm =)
    01-01-09 07:29 PM
    On my Bold you have to hold down the A key for a few seconds to lock whether dial from home is turned on or not. A quick tap of the K key locks with it off.

Ah the old press and/or hold scenario! Of course!

01-01-09 07:34 PM
    Hi all,

Yet another to recently switch from the Dial from Home screen to now using all the shortcuts it gives with it off and yes i do find it far more productive this way to.

Marc
    01-02-09 05:56 AM
    I wish that the "A" key was not dedicated to the lock as I would like to use it for something else. Like "A" for dialing my son "A"lex. I like to pick keys so I can remember to what it goes. (hee, hee)
    01-02-09 08:43 AM
    i think you guys t alking about the lock key may have confused yourselves.. haha

with OR without dial from home screen on you can lock your keypad by HOLDING A(i.e. the * key) but with dial from home screen turned off you can simply press k and it will lock without having to hold it for a second or 2 etc.. i may be weird but i find it much easier with K
    On all my Berries (both that is: 7290 and 9000) shortcuts are a "quick press" and speed dials are a "hold down".

You can access all speed dials whether you have dial-from-homescreen active or inactive.

Morganizer, you can assign speed dials to all letter keys, not just ones not used for shortcuts (unless you are talking about the Q, W and A which are locked in)

You can view all the speed dials (set and unset) by entering your phone app (Send/Green button) and pulling up the menu -> "View Speed Dial List."

Caveat: If you assign a speed dial to one shared with a shortcut, practice practice practice. Nothing worse than calling your "M" button when you're just trying to pull up your Messages.

That all said, I use K to lock (since that was the key on the 7290 and apparently all Berries since at least 2003 )

Play around with it yourself. ... no no no not that, I'm talking about your BlackBerry.

-m
    01-02-09 09:24 AM
    Not me. I prefer having all those sweet shortcuts at my disposal.

01-02-09 11:10 AM
    Forget dialing from the home screen. The shortcuts are so much more useful. Not hard to press the call button either...

01-02-09 11:57 AM
    I use it. I like the convenience of speed dial keys as opposed to shortcut keys.
    You still have speed dials, just hold the button down instead of tapping it for the assigned shortcut.
    01-02-09 01:12 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD