Got my storm the day after Christmas upgraded to .83 then .85 when they were leaked. Yesterday (2 or 3 days after .85 was released) I noticed my storm was *a lot* slower (takes 10 seconds for my blackberry to lock after i press the button and taking way longer then it used to to open folders and other applications since I got it). So I figured that I could wipe the storm since it was some memory issue but was in correct. I did every tip listed in the how-to thread with no noticeable improvements. Should I downgrade from .85 back to .83 or .75? Should I get a replacement? I wiped it using the (Options>Security Options>General Settings>BB Key> Wipe Handheld) method without and difference, did I do it incorrectly? Thanks in advance.
    12-31-08 06:40 PM
    This is why I do not upgrade OS that haven't been approved by my provider yet, (I use Verizon as well and work in data tech support) cuz I know one thing, if we do send ya a replacement at no cost and it gets back to our warehouse and they see that you have DL a OS that is not approved Verizon WILL then put a charge on your acct that will be full retail price which is 499.99, so I just wait until the offical release
    12-31-08 06:55 PM
    Thanks for the heads up. It was running perfect for 1-2 days after I installed .85 just seemed to happen overnight
    12-31-08 07:04 PM
    Hmm, you could always downgrade back to .75
    12-31-08 07:09 PM
    This is why I do not upgrade OS that haven't been approved by my provider yet, (I use Verizon as well and work in data tech support) cuz I know one thing, if we do send ya a replacement at no cost and it gets back to our warehouse and they see that you have DL a OS that is not approved Verizon WILL then put a charge on your acct that will be full retail price which is 499.99, so I just wait until the offical release
    eeeeeeeeek...I am really glad I followed the advice in here...I, too, am waiting for the official release.
    12-31-08 07:11 PM
    Yep, even tho a lot of the threads say download at your own risk, it is TOOO much of a risk for me 500.00??!?!! You know what I could do with that??!?!
    12-31-08 07:16 PM
    I have been running .85 on my storm since it was leaked and haven't been experiencing any problems with it slowing down or locking up since installation. When I was using .83 the only problem that I experienced was the "Memory Card Install" freeze that some users are experiencing with .85. When my device was slowing down on .83, I just did a battery pull and it solved the problem after reboot.

Before I installed .85 and any other leak, I always backed up my blackberry and did a full wipe using JL_Cmder to remove any trace of the previous leak. Doing a wipe by Options>Security Options>General Settings>BB Key> Wipe Handheld is different than doing a wipe with a program such as JL_Cmder. Doing the wipe on the handheld only removes the files you put on the device and doesn't touch the OS files (if you do a bad install the files are still there after the wipe) but ding a wipe by JL_Cmder removes everything including the OS off the device (that is why you should do a backup and restore afterwards) resulting in the 507 error on the screen. Then you can do a fresh install of the OS with .75, .76, .83 or .85.

I understand where people are worried (I paid full price for my storm) about screwing up the phone but most times it can be fixed by a simple wipe and installation of the OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ArmaK; 12-31-08 at 07:34 PM.
    12-31-08 07:31 PM
    Gonna try that now then report back Armak, thanks a *ton*
    12-31-08 07:38 PM
    I really hope that works for you. Good Luck!
    12-31-08 07:49 PM
    Yeah I'm too much of a wimp to even attempt installing these leaks

12-31-08 07:53 PM
    Hope it works for you. Also, after the OS and your backup is restored to the phone, do a battery pull to clean the event log and restore application memory (But only after the restore and the storm has fully loaded the homescreen).

I can tell you that .85 made a big difference in how my blackberry runs. When I had .75 I had my application memory around 35 MB with a battery pull and would have to do a battery pull every 2 days with heavy usage. But as soon as I installed .83, I had 42 MB with a battery pull and would have to a battery pull every 2-3 days. Now with .85 installed on my storm, I have around 47.5 MB and haven't done a battery pull yet because of low application memory.

12-31-08 08:14 PM
    Armak is my internet hero, feel like I have a new phone now. Thanks a ton.
    12-31-08 08:37 PM
    No better way to ring in the new year than that new phone feeling.

12-31-08 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD