I am having a big issue with my call quality on my new Storm. People on the other end say I sound very muffled and I have to repeat myself about half the time. I can hear them ok but they too sound a bit muffled.

What is strange is that when I switch to speakerphone, the other person says I sound perfect. Took my Storm into a Verizon store and of course the "tech" person there couldnt do anything, even said I may have to send it back and get a replacement.

Ive tried switching back and forth from GLOBAL to 1XEV a few times, still the same poor quality. Very dissapointing since this is one of the main reasons Ive stuck with Verizon, the network and call quality. Talked to other Storm owners and they have not had any issues at all with call quality.

Anybody else having this problem or have any idea how to correct? Thanks in advance.
    12-30-08 11:11 AM
    do you have an silicone case or IS protector on it. These some times cover the mic. i have heard people need to make the hole a little bigger
    12-30-08 11:16 AM
    Wow...I just logged on here to see if there were any messages about this same topic!
    I've had the same issue...people say I sound great on speaker but when using the handset, i sound muffled and have to constantly repeat myself.
    I don't want to hear the excuse that the BB is more of an email/texting/internet tool...I had an 8830 before this and had no issues and I really DO need this thing to function as a phone...would really hate to get a new one
    12-30-08 11:23 AM
    I was having a issue as well with people hearing me. I called VZ about it. they had me do a wipe. Have not had any more problems so far with it. They said something about it resets something with VZ. It worked for me.
    12-30-08 11:26 AM
    Yeah I do have a protector/skin on it, but it is not covering the mic. Double checked it with and without the protector too so its not that.
    12-30-08 11:26 AM
    BerrySpecial,

Am I able to do the wipe myself? Or is it better to call VZW to have them do it or step me through it?
    12-30-08 11:30 AM
    BerrySpecial,

Am I able to do the wipe myself? Or is it better to call VZW to have them do it or step me through it?
    No you should be able to do yourself. I was afraid at first but, wasn't bad. Just back up on DM. Wiping restores your phone to the original factory settings. It actually helped my phone and I was glad I did it.
    12-30-08 11:35 AM
    The wipe did not work for me at all. Same exact problem with the call quality. Oh well, its replacement time !
    12-30-08 03:12 PM
    try dialing *22899, this will update the phone to the cell towers that are around it.
    12-30-08 03:15 PM
    I have this problem with my Storm, where I am told it's muffled and dropping out a lot . If I hold it up in front of my face and speak into it, it's fine. I haven't used the speaker function much. Switched from T-Mobile because I got little coverage and the calls were dropped, but now my fancy new phone just won't cut it. Will try the updating of the phone cell tower trick (*22899) and possibly get the phone wiped while it's still new. If anyone has more ideas, please let me know.
    09-23-09 09:27 AM
    It is a problem with the phone. I just got a BRAND NEW Storm today as a replacement for this very same issue. They had me do 2 hard resets and both times the quality was OK for a short time and then went right back to CR*P! VZW kept blaming it on 3rd party apps. The only way that I could carry on a conversation was on speaker or my bluetooth.

Good Luck!!
    09-23-09 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD