OK..got a new BB Curve 8320 for christmas and came to work today to talk with the IT guys. They said we have no BBS and that they hate BB all together and told me to trade my phone in ASAP. I of course pushed back and told them where to go.

So, what are my options for getting my work email on my Curve? I know I probably cannot be sync'ed in real time but there has to be a way to at least get a copy of my mail pushed to a web based provider (gmail, yahoo, etc) so that I can at least get a notification and read my mail that way. We are running an exchange server and an old version of outlook(outlook 200 sp-3).

PLEASE any advice would be great...I really want to have my work email on my device (that is half the reason I got one). There has to be a way!

Thanks
    12-27-07 11:04 AM
    If your companies supports OWA you can check your email via the browser.

Alternatively, have them forward a copy of your work email to your @tmo.blackberry.net email address, or an email address of your choice...
    12-27-07 11:15 AM
    If your company supports OWA (Outlook Web Access, where you read your Outlook/Exchange mailbox using a web browser) you can actually have BlackBerry's T-Mobile BIS server sync your Exchange mail to your BB's Inbox using the OWA interface. You'll never have to pull it up using your browser. It'll grab the mail every 20 minutes and push it to your phone. Here's how:

Go to your home screen and choose "Set Up Internet E-mail"

Under "Services" choose "Email Accounts"

Choose "Add An Email Account"

Input your full email company address and password

Choose "I will provide settings to access this email account," re-enter your password and continue.

Choose Outlook/Exchange

Choose "I can access my email account using a Web browser (Outlook Web Access)

Fill in all of the fields. If it doesn't work the first time then check to make sure you're putting in the correct username. Maybe you need to use just your username "johndoe," maybe you need to include the domain (e.g. HQ1\Johnq) or perhaps maybe use the full email address ([email protected]).

Notice: I have just tested this using my free Exchange server account at mail2web.com and can confirm that it does work.
    Last edited by andy3000; 12-27-07 at 12:15 PM.
    12-27-07 12:12 PM
    You RULE! I think it worked...let you know in 20 mins
    12-27-07 01:36 PM
    Hey andy3000...one more thing:

Any chance that I can also sync up my calender with my Outlook calender using the OWA? We have a really old version of outlook (outlook 200 sp-3). Thanks
    12-27-07 01:37 PM
    Hey andy3000...one more thing:

Any chance that I can also sync up my calender with my Outlook calender using the OWA? We have a really old version of outlook (outlook 200 sp-3). Thanks
    If you can install the Blackberry desktop software on your local machine where you run outlook, you can configure it to automatically sync your outlook calendar data and contacts if you like. I do not believe it is possible to sync your calendar data via OWA, but it would be cool if you could.
    12-27-07 10:51 PM
    You can install Google's calendar sync software onto your BlackBerry and sync OTA (over-the-air) with your Google calendar. If you can also find a way to sync your outlook/exchange calendar with Google's then you have a viable solution.

Link: Google Calendar Sync for BlackBerry
    Link: Incorporate Google Calendar Into Outlook

Be warned that you should ALWAYS back up before syncing for the first time. This is important because sometimes synchronization software doesn't get it right at first and can create duplicates, remove items from one or the other, etc. So just make backups of your calendars (and be sure you can restore them) before trying any of this stuff.
    Last edited by andy3000; 12-28-07 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added links
    12-28-07 09:25 AM
    If your company supports OWA (Outlook Web Access, where you read your Outlook/Exchange mailbox using a web browser) you can actually have BlackBerry's T-Mobile BIS server sync your Exchange mail to your BB's Inbox using the OWA interface. You'll never have to pull it up using your browser. It'll grab the mail every 20 minutes and push it to your phone. Here's how:

Choose "I will provide settings to access this email account," re-enter your password and continue.

Choose Outlook/Exchange

Fill in all of the fields. If it doesn't work the first time then check to make sure you're putting in the correct username. Maybe you need to use just your username "johndoe," maybe you need to include the domain (e.g. HQ1\Johnq) or perhaps maybe use the full email address ([email protected]).

Notice: I have just tested this using my free Exchange server account at mail2web.com and can confirm that it does work.
    Interesting. This could be a good alternative for user-supplied BlackBerries that we do not wish to provide a CAL on the BES for.
    12-28-07 12:13 PM
    or you can use the Desktop Redirector if you have a computer you can leave on 24 hours.

I had a problem setting up my OWA through BIS because they way my computer sets up Exchange/Email; it that my [email protected] is my true email but the alias is what people use to email me [email protected]. So that cause some problems receiving all of my emails.

I just use the Re-Director works excellent.
    12-28-07 02:01 PM
    24 hour a day redirector use is not an option. We require and encorce evening log offs. Control of desktops is extremely tight around here. We have to comply with FERPA and HIPPA. We have a BES anyways, if it is business-crititcal that an employee has their messages, they will be put on the BES.

Thankfully, our OWA logins are in the form of DOMAIN\username. I will try the method described above.
    12-28-07 02:11 PM
    Ok, I think I almost have it; but where it asks me for the server, would this be one that ends in a colon and then a number, or a similarly-named thing that does not? (I don't want to give it away here, but it is like this):
    webmail.companyname.com:44 OR
    webmail.companyname.com
    which is the one I use?
    And also: when it asks for the mailbox name, what do I use? It has already asked for my username, so I don't think it's not that. But I tried inputting "inbox" but it doesn't like that either!!!
    01-15-08 03:42 PM
    Ok, I think I almost have it; but where it asks me for the server, would this be one that ends in a colon and then a number, or a similarly-named thing that does not? (I don't want to give it away here, but it is like this):
    webmail.companyname.com:44 OR
    webmail.companyname.com
    which is the one I use?
    And also: when it asks for the mailbox name, what do I use? It has already asked for my username, so I don't think it's not that. But I tried inputting "inbox" but it doesn't like that either!!!

The default Exchange server web access site is

http://mail.<domain>.com/exchange

Your mailbox name is normally everything before the @ sign.

Many times the username is the same as the mailbox name.

Depends on how lazy (or simple) the IT Manager is.
    01-15-08 09:13 PM
    I was able to configure my new 8310 to receive my work email using BIS and OWA. The only problem I have is that the emails I have on Outlook at work will not download to my BB. The only emails that appear are those that were sent AFTER I set my BB up. Is there a way to download these emails or am I out of luck. Thank you in advance for any comments or help.
    02-16-08 07:25 PM

Choose Outlook/Exchange

When I get to the "Choose Outlook/Exchange" step, I select it and before I can choose Next the bottom of the screen says Loading Data and resets the option back to Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP). Any ideas what may cause this?

Nevermind, went back and checked my password, looks like I miskeyed it and they weren't matching. Leaving the post up incase someone else has the same problem.
    Last edited by graytshirt; 02-17-08 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Add description of problem
    02-17-08 01:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD