Ok.. I've seen plenty of "I magically love the Storm because its a Preeety Blackberry and can't stand to hear anything bad about my (deformed and ********) baby" and more than enough "I hate the Storm because it is a piece of **** that RIM should have put a lot more R&D into because when it shipped the OS, the screen, the buttons, and everything else about it was so hopelessly sub-par to the extent that the only people that like it are people who have no idea how bad it is" threads.

I have always been of the philosophy that if you don't have a solution, you don't have a problem, so... let's hear everyone's SOLUTIONS to the Storm's glaring and embarrassing shortcomings.

My only rules here would be, present it in a numbered list (so we can flame you in an orderly fashion) and for every problem you list, you must list a reasonable solution.

1. Problem: the touch screen's "press to click" feature blows. Solution: Get rid of it and go to a sealed, NON-depressible touch screen. This would fix the dust problem and other click screen bugs.. erm.. features instantly.

2. Problem: Screen size vs functionality. Solution: I didn't have a better way to say this other than, if the "press to click" feature was eliminated, you could gain a few more millimeters of useable screen area and make the type-keys BIGGER.

3. It weighs as much as a .45 cal pistol. Solution: see #1 and #2. for how eliminating the hardware associated with the "press to click screen" would also save weight.

I'll keep my list short at 3 things. Apparently, they are all the same thing. Going to a REAL touch screen would make the Storm lighter, make the screen bigger and eliminate several of the most annoying non-Os issues it has.
    12-29-08 04:24 PM
    0.38 lbs isn't that much especially considering the weights of other phones. My VX6700 with the extended battery weighed in @ 0.52 lbs. I'm personally glad that the Storm isn't some unsubstantial flimsy pile of junk. A bit of weight isn't a bad thing.
    12-29-08 04:27 PM
    Ok, So we are talking about #3 on my list.

If the storm really only weighs 155g like the website says, my Curve weighs 111g. 44g really doesn't feel like the difference between the two. I think it weighs more than 155g! But let's take this at face value. 44g = 680 grains. So carrying the storm is like having a curve PLUS 3 rounds of .45 cal ammunition in your pocket. Its like having a curve in your pocket PLUS 10-12 packets of sugar. Its like having a curve in your pocket plus a shot-glass.

But no matter, I really just want the "press-to-click" screen to go away. It's a deal breaker for me. It is the phone's biggest and most insurmountable drawback.
    12-29-08 04:49 PM
    well its a dealbreaker for you, but a dealmaker for me. (word? probably not.) i cant stand any regular old touch screen anymore. i love the press to click functionality of it. its what makes this phone different from all the rest. it gives the ability for twice the functions. click for one action, simply touch for another.

oh and btw you're on AT&T. go grab an iphone if you want a sealed touch screen phone.
    12-29-08 08:24 PM
    Ok so we are talking about #1 on the list...

Ugh... I love the iPod touch, but hate the iPhone. No copy and paste? Come on.

Sure, it has WiFi, but ATT so completely phails in the Phoenix area that I... hesitate to say that when my contract is up with ATT in February, I will probably *sucks in a deep breath and croaks through tightened vocal cords* ... probably get a Storm.

*cough* .. there I said it.

Now dammit.. fix all the bugs before February 18th!! I can only carry ONE freaking device around with me and it better actually WORK.

Also, I have revised my position on the click screen. Keep it, just make it an option I can turn off if I wish.
    Last edited by jdoc77; 12-30-08 at 08:41 PM.
    12-30-08 08:37 PM
    Im crushed right now becuase I used up my one switch at my company to move to a storm at verizon and now I am stuck. The typing function is TERRIBLE. I can not type one sentence without at least one or two errors. I wish I would of stuck with AT&T and got the Bold.
    12-30-08 09:40 PM
    lol, you guys are funny , havent had an issue. i love it . and im "not just saying that" its a great phone , like any and all phones it takes work from the get go. tell me one phone that didnt require work from the first model ???????????
    12-30-08 11:21 PM
    lol, you guys are funny , havent had an issue. i love it .
    you only burned through 3 or 4 phones? But you had no issues. LOL

You were ready at one point to punch it thru the wall if memory serves me right. I was worried you were going to go up in flames for stuffing paper in the battery compartment hahaha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 11:35 PM
    you only burned through 3 or 4 phones? But you had no issues. LOL

You were ready at one point to punch it thru the wall if memory serves me right. I was worried you were going to go up in flames for stuffing paper in the battery compartment hahaha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lol once i got a working phone aka clicked lol i havent had a problem
    12-30-08 11:47 PM
    What i want is the for the answering screen when receiving a call to look like the dare's screen. I think it's so pointless in portrait mode to have the green touchscreen button directly above the physical key. On the dare, the touch screen button's are centered and it goes Green Answer button, then Ignore, then a red Reject button. It's right in the middle of the screen where it's easier on the thumb and more sense
    12-31-08 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD