Every time I send my girlfriend a Picture message it take hours and hours for her to receive it. I actually sent one at like 5 P.M. yesterday and she didn't receive it until 11 A.M. today. Am I the only one with this problem? It seems pretty ridiculous. I don't know if it matters, but I have Verizon and she has ATT.
    12-29-08 10:35 AM
    Might be where you are because I get stuff from other carriers all the time without an issue.
    12-29-08 10:39 AM
    That matters a bit
    12-29-08 10:41 AM
    I have the same issue also, I am on Verizon and my fiance is with AT&T, if i send her a MMS, it takes almost two hours for her to get it...
    12-29-08 10:42 AM
    yes it's a ATT vs. Verizon thing....
    Same for me with a friend of mine...
    I seen him driving off somewhere.. I txt'd him... and 5 hours later, he called me said where the **** are you, cause I'm in the living room...

It's not the phone.
    12-29-08 10:43 AM
    I agree, i knew it was AT&T all along...
    12-29-08 10:50 AM
    My girlfriend is on AT&T and my MMS messages to her can take upwards of 24+ hours. Hers to me generally arrive in minutes (though there have been occasions where the reverse happens).

It's annoying. I can't wait until her contract is up and get her on Verizon.
    12-29-08 11:13 AM
    Same thing with me! My girlfriend is on ATT and it takes her at least 5 hours to get my MMS messages. I called Verizon about this and they said it has something to do with them and ATT transferring everything. They said they would work on it because at first my girlfriend wasnt even getting ANY message. After I got a call from them saying it was "fixed" she started receiving them again, just 5 hours later. *sigh*

Why are all of our girlfriends/fiances on AT&T? lol
    12-29-08 11:17 AM
    Right, AT&T is the only carrier i have issues with when i send an MMS...
    12-29-08 11:18 AM
    This files are bigger and I think the Storm's camera is defaulted to take LARGE picture size files. Try reducing the size in your camera options.
    12-29-08 11:19 AM
    This files are bigger and I think the Storm's camera is defaulted to take LARGE picture size files. Try reducing the size in your camera options.
    Yeah, but this only happens when sending to ATT. When I send to Verizon, they are fine, no matter what size. Could be a network to network thing, though.
    12-29-08 11:24 AM
    Could be .
    12-29-08 11:28 AM
    It is a network thing
    12-29-08 11:31 AM
    its AT&T! what do you expect...i would never...ever...EVER...date a girl that had a different cell phone company than Verizon...all my friends agree...that is like rule number five in our rule book ((not that theres an actual "rule book"))
    12-29-08 11:45 AM
    its AT&T! what do you expect...i would never...ever...EVER...date a girl that had a different cell phone company than Verizon...all my friends agree...that is like rule number five in our rule book ((not that theres an actual "rule book"))
    Lol, well I hope the girl of your dreams doesnt have AT&T! I had to get unlimited texting carrier to carrier because we had 1200 texts last month alone! Didn't see that charge coming
    12-29-08 11:47 AM
    First of all, text messages are given pretty much the lowest priority on cellular networks. So there's no guarantee that they will go through instantly or even within a few minutes. They could get backed up for days, weeks, even longer. A lot of this came out when the US Gov't wanted to have some kind of national disaster awareness thing that sent everyone's cell phone a text message, and the carriers objected pointing out that text messages are given such a low priority it wouldn't be feasible.

The various towers in a given carrier's network are all connected together via landlines, and there's plenty of bandwidth for sending text messages. A SMS is 160 bytes max, so they could send millions of text messages in the space that one or two phone calls takes. It's also why people are getting seriously ripped off with texting plans. It costs the carriers virtually nothing to send text messages that originate and terminate on their network.

Anyway, when you introduce messages to another network, that's when things start getting screwy. First, the phone companies charge one another for connecting to their network. If you call someone on your Verizon phone who is on AT&T, AT&T will bill Verizon for connecting the call. It's usually some piddly little charge per call, but it adds up over time. It's probably in the hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars at the end of the year. Part of that is why Verizon nickels and dimes the **** out of you. Smaller carriers can't compete with Verizon in terms of the breadth of their network, so they have to try and entice new customers with various features on their plan, and swallow some of the costs in the short run. Verizon is big enough they don't need to do any of this, but if you saw them switch places with the likes of Sprint in terms of overall customers, you would probably see Verizon dropping a lot of its fees and offering things like unlimited texting with a basic phone plan.

Anyway, moving along... Phone companies also tend to put a lower priority on communications originating outside their network. So text/MMS messages might be delayed until some magic number of free bandwidth is reached. Put this together with the class action lawsuit pending against AT&T about how they knew their 3G network would buckle under the weight of all the Jesus Phone 3G users out there, but went right ahead and sold people access anyway, and it starts to paint a pretty clear picture.

Both carriers are probably playing a part in all of this. Verizon and AT&T might both be intentionally delaying messages to/from other networks in the hopes that people will become so frustrated that they will try and convince the other party to switch carriers. There's probably also financial incentives for sending a bunch of texts in a big burst as opposed to individually, and different times of the day might have different cost structures... Things that make beancounters salivate and eyes glaze over on the rest of us.
    12-29-08 11:56 AM
    When you send out a picture the phone automatically reduces the picture quality so the MMS is not as large, the same goes for the BBM. ie I sent my wife a picture that was 500k, when she received it, it was around 100k. Both of us have Blackberries
    12-29-08 12:29 PM
    See, i love BlackBerry Messenger, but i hate the way it handles pictures...
    12-29-08 12:36 PM
    I would say that it depends on the signal strength of the network where you live. Also, its a good idea to put a delivery receipt on the picture messages that you send it so you know when it gets delievered.
    12-29-08 12:38 PM
    Every time I send my girlfriend a Picture message it take hours and hours for her to receive it. I actually sent one at like 5 P.M. yesterday and she didn't receive it until 11 A.M. today. Am I the only one with this problem? It seems pretty ridiculous. I don't know if it matters, but I have Verizon and she has ATT.
    It has nothing to do with your phone carrier so please don't listen to the idiots on here thinking its a competition between at&t and Verizon. I have the same exact issue Verizon to Verizon. Some phones have this issue and some don't. For example some cars are great brand new and some are problematic. You don't know the hardware issues in every phone just as you don't know if your engine will fail but unlike your car you can't see or be able to tell and repair your engine. I find that when I'm at home and connected to my WiFi my pictures download at a much lower rate then if I run my 4glte. Its not a WiFi problem either though because I have an excellent internet connection. I'm not sure exactly what the real problem resides in. It could just be that some of us have temperamental phones. I found this page by looking up why I'm having problems and here I am commenting like everyone else. But please don't fall for the Verizon at&t crap. It honestly has nothing to do with your service provider and more to do with the hardware and software speed of your phone. I just haven't been able to pinpoint the exact issue yet but when I do I will update the comment.
    01-02-14 07:40 PM
    That matters a bit
    Actually it doesn't matter at all
    01-02-14 07:40 PM
    yes it's a ATT vs. Verizon thing....
    Same for me with a friend of mine...
    I seen him driving off somewhere.. I txt'd him... and 5 hours later, he called me said where the **** are you, cause I'm in the living room...

It's not the phone.
    No its not a service provider issue at all its a hardware to software issue that resides in your phone. Some people have this issue and others don't. I have this issue Verizon to verizon. My parents think its weird that I don't get my picture messages right away and they take hours to download with each picture only being 2kb-300kb. My wife also has Verizon and I experience the same issue. Don't lead someone astray if you don't have the correct answer. Do more investigation instead of blaming it on competition between carriers or compatibility issues amongst carriers. All cell phones run off the same frequencies and services its just what routing number the cennect by. One cell tower works for 3 companies in the area I'm in. Not one of them is a partner of the other.
    01-02-14 07:45 PM
    01-02-14 07:45 PM
    It actuallybhas nothing to do with the provider and more to do with the phones hardware and software and the way it communicates with its own tower. It has everything to do with your phone and nothing to do with the provider. You can't see the hardware bugs and the software glitches. But some people have them and others don't. I have a problem Verizon to Verizon not at&t to Verizon.
    01-02-14 07:48 PM
    It has nothing to do with your phone carrier so please don't listen to the idiots on here thinking its a competition between at&t and Verizon. I have the same exact issue Verizon to Verizon. Some phones have this issue and some don't. For example some cars are great brand new and some are problematic. You don't know the hardware issues in every phone just as you don't know if your engine will fail but unlike your car you can't see or be able to tell and repair your engine. I find that when I'm at home and connected to my WiFi my pictures download at a much lower rate then if I run my 4glte. Its not a WiFi problem either though because I have an excellent internet connection. I'm not sure exactly what the real problem resides in. It could just be that some of us have temperamental phones. I found this page by looking up why I'm having problems and here I am commenting like everyone else. But please don't fall for the Verizon at&t crap. It honestly has nothing to do with your service provider and more to do with the hardware and software speed of your phone. I just haven't been able to pinpoint the exact issue yet but when I do I will update the comment.
    So without knowing where the actual problem resides, how can you definitively state that you know it ISN'T a carrier issue. Could you be having a completely different issue that happens to have the same symptoms? It's very likely. Just because two people are coughing doesn't mean they have the same ailment.
    01-02-14 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD