Hey all!

Phoned Telus today and they are offering customers who have recently bought a pearl unlimited data for $15/month!

Call them up and take advantage.
    12-27-07 03:18 AM
    Hey all!

Phoned Telus today and they are offering customers who have recently bought a pearl unlimited data for $15/month!

Call them up and take advantage.
    Ya, I got that plan.
    unlimited web and emal.

I don't think it includes outgoing text messages though (but I rarely if ever use those)
    12-27-07 10:54 AM
    thanks for the post ... i just called and upgraded to the unlimited plan
    12-27-07 12:06 PM
    Products and services / digital PCS / rate plans / Unlimited Personal Email & IM 15 - TELUS Mobility - British Columbia

are you sure? what about bbMessenger? and are we limited to what websites we can visit? i have 32MB for $15 and it is limitless to what i can use it for (except text, of course). and what about GPS...
    Last edited by deltaboy; 12-27-07 at 03:24 PM.
    12-27-07 03:11 PM
    I asked about GPS, they lady told me it was unlimited data for any use (GPS, Google Maps, email,etc)

Of course text messages do not apply as those are not transmitted using data.

This will be a great plan if/when slingplayer mobile for blackberry ever gets released.
    12-27-07 06:37 PM
    Funny. I just talked to them and was told GPS and other data isn't included. Only web, email, messenger.

Go figure...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-07 07:07 PM
    All I can tell you is that I have had the "Unlimited personal email and IM 15" for about a week and I have checked my data usage on mytelusmobility.com. Web browsing, Facebook, Yahoo! Messanger, The Weather Network push, maps, etc., all seem to be included. I have tried the GPS a few times and I have "location based services" listed several times on my usage summary, all at $0.00. I did try sending a couple of SMS text messages. They were charged at 15 cents each as I expected. I believe that incoming text messages are always free on any Telus plan.

If you did get something like Skype or Slingplayer working, I'm sure that would be considered abuse of the bandwidth, just as you do not get free use of the BlackBerry as a modem for your laptop.
    12-27-07 09:36 PM
    Nice to know! Right now their phones are all tied up, prob due to flooding calls for this promo. I'll hassle them tomorrow. Thx!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-07 09:45 PM
    I registered just to contribute to this thread.

I picked up a pearl at my local Telus store the other day for free with a 3 year contract and was told I would get "unlimited data and email for 15$ a month" on top of $30 dollar plan. I was stoked and have been surfing like crazy and emailing. I love my new Pearl but when I looked at the Telus site I saw that the promotion is "unlimited email and internet for 3 months with a new contract or contract renewal". After that it seems you get sucked into one of their high-priced data plans.

I tried to call telus to confirm this but they've been so busy with the holiday season the phone system literally says "call back later".

Have any of you actually spoken to a telus representative and gotten verbal confirmation that the plan is 15$ a month for unlimited data as a contract? I'm really really curious. If it is a new unlimited data contract for $15 I'm the happiest kid in town.
    12-28-07 04:02 PM
    The ony thing you're really guaranteed is what's on the contract: "Unlt'd Personal Email & IM 15". Nowhere does it say that you are entitled to unlimited data (in general) or web browsing; however, the "unlimited email and Internet for 3 months" thing only applies to regular data plans. I haven't seen any such "3 month" thing mentioned anywhere for the $15 special promotion.

"Personal email" means that you can't use it with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server in your company, just the Blackberry Internet Service.

All of the advertising also says "Unlimited instant messaging is available only through BlackBerry Messenger on the BlackBerry Pearl and Windows Live Messenger on the HTC Touch and HTC S720. Cannot be combined with any other data plan." They are not obligated to include unlimited Yahoo! Messenger or Google Talk and they definitely don't include "text messages".

As I understand it, they really don't have the capability to separate your Internet traffic into which application is using it. Even if they did come up with a way to separate it, it would create a lot of angry customers, which they don't want. The $15 deal is good for as long as your contract, though it might not include surfing in the future. The contract also says "additional charges may apply subject to thirty days prior notice to you from TELUS", but I don't think that is a valid loophole.

Check mytelusmobility.com for current charges. (In some provinces may not be up-to-date.) I have had verbal confirmation from 2 Telus store people and someone at the phone help line that it includes free browsing and that it goes to the end of the contract. Telus also standardly grandfathers rate plans. As long as you don't change plans, deals they no longer offer can generally be continuously renewed.

Actually, Telus probably doesn't know exactly what they're including. They're kind of making it up as they go along. They can't afford to lose market share to similar email deals offered by Bell and Rogers. They will include whatever they need to include to compete with their current competitors and whoever is buying the new radio frequency license.
    Last edited by neilwick; 12-28-07 at 09:53 PM.
    12-28-07 09:51 PM
    i called telus last night and talked to 3 different people and they comfirmed that it it unlimited data gps and e mail and instant messeging(yahoo google and blackberry)
    its an awsoem plan but theres got to be a catch i guess i will see when i get my next bill
    12-29-07 12:53 AM
    i called telus last night and talked to 3 different people and they comfirmed that it it unlimited data gps and e mail and instant messeging(yahoo google and blackberry)
    its an awsoem plan but theres got to be a catch i guess i will see when i get my next bill
    well, i will do some confirming myself tomorrow. great thing that 'recoded for quality assistance' will benefit us, the client.
    12-29-07 01:03 AM
    I'm on that plan as well. I have a buddy that works at Telus, and according to him, no catch. I've only had mine for like 2 weeks, but I'm very much enjoying the unlimited data
    12-29-07 01:04 AM
    Well this is my 2 cents on it, I got the pearl and re-signed into a 3 year contract and got $150 off the 499 price. So when i got it the girl at the telus store told me 3 months unlimited web and email. My next bill arrives $230.00 just for web and email....Call Telus she tells me the girl screwed up and put me on pay as you go. She told me for $25 bucks a month I get 4 gigs ( i think she said gigs)
    SO then I see the promo for a cheaper price on the phone, I call Telus and ask for the cheaper price, and got told I could get it but the deal on the 15 a month was you HAD to also sign into that data plan for at least 1 year

Dawn
    12-29-07 01:39 AM
    Sweet!

Sounds like I'm set then. I checked mytelusmobility.com last night and I have used a lot of data but not a single kb was chargeable. I think this plans legit... and I'm stoked I have it locked in for 3 years.
    12-29-07 10:30 AM
    Dawn: The $25 standard plan is for 4 MB, not 4 gigs. If there's any way you can get on onto the $15 promo deal, do it! Remember that the promo only goes to the end of December , unless they decide to extend it. I'm up to 37 MB in 10 days. I wouldn't be all that happy limited to 4 MB.

Update to my previous post: My daily usage now shows 1 use of "Wireless Web Browser" which it never did before, but still at $0.00. I think that may have been the picture that I emailed to myself from the "media" icon.
    12-29-07 01:55 PM
    The unlimited browersing from the phone, unlimited email, unlimited messanger, and GPS for google maps is a time limited off. What I mean by that is it is a package added to the $15/month that is only offered during the Xmas holidays. If you have it, then you have it until you remove or upgrade to a different package.
    12-30-07 12:59 PM
    doh! just got of the phone with the Telus rep and i CANNOT acquire the $15 unlimited. apparently you have to have at least a $30 plan - mine is a $20 EPP special plan, so i don't qualify. ya well...

regardless, i was told is IS in fact an unlimited data plan and it lasts for as long as you hold onto your phone.

congrats to all you that grabbed this promo!

**bump for the last day its available**
    12-31-07 05:13 PM
    I'm sort of confused now -- when I got my Pearl back on November 30th, the store rep told me that the $15 unlimited web/email was only for browsing the internet on the phone -- it did not include using Yahoo or Google Messenger and it did not include GPS or any other application that uses data downloads. That is why he told me to upgrade to the Email and Web 25 for $25 a month.

The thing for me is, because I had called Telus the day before I bought the phone, I got a deal because I was comparing the packages between Telus and Bell -- the rep gave me my grandfathered plan (Super Talk 30) and also gave me my Spark 10 bundle free for the duration of the 3 year contract (because at the time, Telus' cheapest price was $129.99 and Bell was $99.95 -- or it could have been $0 if you printed off a coupon from visaperks.ca and used your Visa to buy the phone -- now everyone offers it for $0, no coupons etc).

Now, the thing is, you can't have a Spark bundle with a Smart Phone, so instead, they gave me Voice Mail 3, Call Display & Unlimited Text Messaging for the duration of the contract instead -- making me miss out on the 100 video/picture messaging, which pisses me off.. but whatever. $0.25 a message isn't the end of the world.

They also gave me 50% off my plan for 3 months PLUS gave me unlimited data transfer for the 3 months as well. That's right, unlimited data! I wanted to confirm this with a Telus rep, so when I called them, I got a really nice girl from Calgary tell me indeed it was. So I asked her if tethering was included. She put me on hold, came back and said it was, and to "go nuts". I wanted to confirm this with her, because if any of you didn't hear, there was a guy working in Calgary on the Bell network, who believed he had "unlimited web" for $10 a month, so he assumed he could use it for tethering (or Phone as Modem if you didn't know what that meant). He racked up $85,000 in data charges in a 6 week period.

I've used PAM since December 15th and have used 2706508 KB or 2643 MB or 2.6 GB. Now, with my current plan of 4 MB a month and $12 per MB over, that's $35,784 after taxes (of course, 13% now in Ontario ). Does that scare anyone?

Who the &^$# is wrong here? Can ANYBODY totally confirm and have in writing that the $15 a month promo INCLUDES ANY AND ALL data?!
    01-01-08 03:57 PM
    i got an upgrade got the pearl for free and unlimited data,e-mail and im....my dad called and asked if he can use it as a modem for his laptop and they said that he has to add that to his plan so its not included...but i got my bill yesterday and it was all FREE.... email data and im
    01-03-08 08:26 PM
    I see that the $15 plan is currently extended to Feb. 3.
    01-04-08 02:03 PM
    does it say on that plan unlimited data on it
    01-04-08 02:38 PM
    100% this offer is unlimited. Youcould also ask the phone rep to put a confirmation to what this plan includes as a note in your account so if ever you are charged by accident or whatever you can go back to that.
    01-05-08 11:25 AM
    cuz when i go and look at it on the net it only says unlimited data for 3 monthhs
    01-06-08 12:53 AM
    i've got the unlimited for $15, but that doesn't include text messaging. For that, I'm paying another $10 for unlimited texting, which is still cool cuz I'm browsing as much as I like! I just checked my data usage, and yep...no charges at all!!! When looking into a new phone and contract...ALWAYS get the rep to have in writing what you're getting! Don't have a verbal agreement. It should all be on paper. Mine is! woohoo!
    01-09-08 12:24 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD