I'd love to get some feedback from you CrackBerry experts on my Verizon Wireless sales experience. The device: a Curve 8330, purchased on 12/20. In a scant 8 days, I became an addict - you know how CrackBerrys are. This is my first smartphone: I am a complete newbie.

The problem: the very amiable salesman gave me all the lowdown on unimportant details: the bundled accessory deal versus no bundle, restocking fees, etc. But he said absolutely NOTHING ABOUT THE DATA PLAN! Nada! I'd had browser service on all of my previous cell phones for $4.99/month, and sort of assumed - knowing nothing - that I would continue to use Verizon's access to the web, etc. It dawned on me in short order that Blackberry has proprietary servers, software, etc...and I began to worry and do research. And of course, it's $29.99 a month for data.

My question: I feel strongly that when a merchant fails to give the customer the information necessary to make a financially sound decision, some sort of adjustment - a break - is in order. (Well. In a perfect world.) At this point, I've mastered the phone, I am addicted, I do not want to switch to an LG EnV2...and I can't help feeling Verizon should ... offer something. I did return to the store: talking to the supervisor was like talking to Sarah Palin. She had a repertoire of 4 stock responses, which she repeated, regardless of what I was asking her. She also wondered why I was angry (I was incredibly polite about all this, BTW).

Realistically - is there anything Verizon can or would do? How does this work? Do I have a legitimate grievance?
    12-28-08 04:04 PM
    If it were me I would offer a percentage, maybe, but the problem is that the data plan would be on your initial store receipt from when you renew the contract. You signed something that stated you were adding that feature (and extending the contract by two years, yadda yadda). So while I might offer you a "break," it would depend greatly on a variety of factors including payment history, tenure, et al. My suggestion is give us a call at customer care and explain the situation.

You may receive nothing, but it's worth a try.
    12-28-08 04:20 PM
    Does it say anything about the data plan on the piece of paper you signed? Again that YOU signed? if there is unless you get a nioce person I doubt they will do anything. But does not hurt to try
    12-28-08 04:22 PM
    The only options to you would be to return the phone. There is no way to have a blackberry without a data plan assocatiated with it.

You might be able to possibly see if they will give you a one time credit for like say the difference in the data plans and you continue paying for the data plan at regular price every month after that.

You're employeer might have a discount with verizon so you might get something off the data plan every month.

Other than those three options there really isnt anything you can do.

Oh also if you don't have corporate emails coming to your phone make sure you're on the $30 data plan instead of the $45 one.
    12-28-08 04:44 PM
    Well its both your fault and the store reps. He may have had an understanding you already new about a needed data plan.

Not to sound rude but what would be the purpose of owning a blackberry or even a smart phone if your not gonna have the data plan or even use the data service? Because it looks "cool" to hold?

Before you buy a phone, any phone, do the research. It will save you the headache.

By the way, I am also a CSR for verizon up in the Green Bay, WI call center.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 05:54 PM
    I would honestly just go back to the store , and ask to speak with the manager
    even though you signed a contract, I think you have a few days grace where you can walk back , and cancel the contract. you never know, maybe the manger is willing to offer you a better rate for the inconvenience
    12-28-08 06:38 PM
    I'd love to get some feedback from you CrackBerry experts on my Verizon Wireless sales experience. The device: a Curve 8330, purchased on 12/20. In a scant 8 days, I became an addict - you know how CrackBerrys are. This is my first smartphone: I am a complete newbie.

The problem: the very amiable salesman gave me all the lowdown on unimportant details: the bundled accessory deal versus no bundle, restocking fees, etc. But he said absolutely NOTHING ABOUT THE DATA PLAN! Nada! I'd had browser service on all of my previous cell phones for $4.99/month, and sort of assumed - knowing nothing - that I would continue to use Verizon's access to the web, etc. It dawned on me in short order that Blackberry has proprietary servers, software, etc...and I began to worry and do research. And of course, it's $29.99 a month for data.

My question: I feel strongly that when a merchant fails to give the customer the information necessary to make a financially sound decision, some sort of adjustment - a break - is in order. (Well. In a perfect world.) At this point, I've mastered the phone, I am addicted, I do not want to switch to an LG EnV2...and I can't help feeling Verizon should ... offer something. I did return to the store: talking to the supervisor was like talking to Sarah Palin. She had a repertoire of 4 stock responses, which she repeated, regardless of what I was asking her. She also wondered why I was angry (I was incredibly polite about all this, BTW).

Realistically - is there anything Verizon can or would do? How does this work? Do I have a legitimate grievance?
    Just an FYI---my daughter has an EnV and it is NOT 4.99 for data---you must have had an old plan. She pays $15 for data access on that phone.
    12-28-08 06:51 PM
    I had the same problem...except when I upgraded they said they would give me once month free of bb data plan n they didn't and they charged me for tethernet modem which I declined and I never signed anything..nor did it say anything on my reciepty about my plan change or anything!! I called *611 and they fixed it all for me thoug:....key is to be very polite...

12-28-08 07:01 PM
    talking to the supervisor was like talking to Sarah Palin.
    I'll just bet the Governor of Alaska knows how to read contracts and researches a purchase before she commits to it....
    12-28-08 07:11 PM
    make sure you ask if your employer gets a corporate discount. might save 15% or more.
    12-28-08 09:37 PM
    I'll just bet the Governor of Alaska knows how to read contracts and researches a purchase before she commits to it....
    Heh, you know it. Plus she's far smarter than the apathetic masses want to give her credit for.

Back on subject, you can take advantage of the VZW worry-free and return it for an enV or Voyager or some other texting phone. If you do, you'll probably want to look at the premium plans with unlimited data, text, free VZNav & more. Only $20 more than the basics & only $5 more than unlimited data/text.

Data plans & Berrys go hand in hand on all carriers.

12-28-08 09:41 PM
    "Caveat Emptor"
    12-29-08 06:26 AM
    VZW is not going to give you anything for free. Your responsible for reading the contract you signed! Ignorance is not a excuse.

Failure to plan, is planning to fail!
    12-29-08 06:42 AM
    Sorry but everyone here is correct. It doesnt say anything about changing your oil in your car when you buy it but it is needed. Every Blackberry requires the data package by all carriers. Sorry that the sales rep didnt mention it but it is also your responsablity to read over the contract you signed.
    12-29-08 08:58 AM
    Sorry but everyone here is correct. It doesnt say anything about changing your oil in your car when you buy it but it is needed. Every Blackberry requires the data package by all carriers. Sorry that the sales rep didnt mention it but it is also your responsablity to read over the contract you signed.

Every carrier does not require a BB with a data package. Verizon does but everyone does not!
    12-29-08 09:17 AM
    Every carrier does not require a BB with a data package. Verizon does but everyone does not!
    On acid?

12-29-08 10:57 AM
    IMO it kind of defeats the advantages of having a BlackBerry if you don't have a data plan, and Verizon definitely requires one, but I know I've seen posts here from people using other carriers where they are not *required* to have a data plan at time of initial purchase/contract.

What I have experienced first-hand, though, is being sold a higher-cost data plan than needed. I work for a very small company and we do not have or need BES. Yet the only question asked of me at time of purchase (and a co-worker, at a different Verizon store) was "are you using this for work e-mail" and we were automatically put in the higher-cost data plan rather than the $29.95 plan for BIS only. Yes, our own stupidity for not doing our homework prior to going into the store, and it was easily and immediately taken care of via a call to customer service. But it obviously would have been a nicer experience had we been given a better explanation in the store.

Regarding discounts, it's not only for corporations. Definitely ask, because they mostly don't volunteer the information that there are discounts at all. My husband is a firefighter/EMT, and found out about the discount offered to fire/EMS and police kind of accidentally when he mentioned his job casually in conversation to the Verizon rep who was helping him choose a new phone. It also applies to accessories as well as plan fees, and on a family share plan, to all lines and family member accessory purchases as well.
    12-29-08 11:18 AM
    Actually, after some simple research & a few phone calls, I found you are only partially correct. Only AT&T and TMo do not require data plans. According to both carriers, you'd need to either bring your own unlocked phone or pay their 'No Commitment' price for a new phone.

Then, without a BB data plan, you'd not get any service books. Without service books, your Berry would function as a regular phone without email, IM, etc.

This again brings up the question of why? It would be a large premium to pay to get a crippled Berry for only the added benefit of files & BrickBreaker - about the only things you'd get over & above a media phone. Much the same thing could be said for getting a computer without Internet access so you could play games, except there is so much more to a computer.

To keep hitting (and falsely singling out) VZW is kind of childish & silly, considering the vast majority of mobile phone users who don't want data would never consider a Berry or other smartphone. The constant VZW slamming from some is rather juvenile & doesn't seem to be having any effect on the bottom line @ VZW or Voda.

I'd rather go back to rotary dial than be stuck with either AT&T or TMo - because of personal experience. I worked for AT&T for over two decades & know the mindset & what they are like. TMo is much better but their coverage area is awful.

One of the advantages a Berry has over other smartphones is its data handline - take that away & you might as well have a shiny WinMo unit.

I for one, am not fiscally foolish enough to get a Berry for simple phone functions. That would be about as silly as getting a Ferrari to ferry kids to school.

12-29-08 05:09 PM
    I paid for a business-class data plan for a YEAR, because the phone rep who activated my BB never asked me what sort of usage I would incur. I mentioned that I get my email on the road, since I'm self-employed, so she must have assumed I would use the full functions of the business plan. When I realized I'd been overpaying to the tune of $180, I was furious. I called Verizon and at first they said there was nothing they could do, then they said they'd give me two months' worth of a refund. When all was said and done, they gave me a $60 credit. I thought that was fair, but I still don't understand why the original rep put me on a business plan.
    12-29-08 05:29 PM
    I'd probably call back & simply tell them you want to change plans. It is something VZW offers to all customers. Anything you've overpaid would then be credited to your account.

They won't refund it but, depending on the difference, you'd get a month or more where you'd not owe anything.

12-29-08 07:27 PM
    Actually, after some simple research & a few phone calls, I found you are only partially correct. Only AT&T and TMo do not require data plans. According to both carriers, you'd need to either bring your own unlocked phone or pay their 'No Commitment' price for a new phone.
    You dont have to have an unlocked phone or pay full retail. You can get the new customer or upgrade price without a data plan.
    12-29-08 07:31 PM
    yeah i think they should do something, let you return the phone.

but you dont deserve a discount on the data plan. I would be mad if you got a discount for sure. a one time $25 credit for customer satisfaction is the most you deserve.

but to try and say you deserve the data plan for $5 because you didnt read waht you signed or research the plan is ridiculous.

next time ask important questions first, dont wait till you get home to research it.
    12-29-08 07:55 PM
    I can guarantee that on the receipt/contract you signed it says email and web or pda/smartphone data plan $x.xx...

It sucks they didn't tell you about the requirements, but you've got outs as far as either not having to pay or getting another phone. You most likely won't have to pay a restock fee if you call early enough.

IF YOU WAIT: it's your own damn fault.
    12-29-08 08:39 PM
    Thanks for all your input.

Of course all of you are right. In a very basic way: I signed a contract.

I signed a contract in a vortex of noise and pre-holiday purchase hysteria. This is the sort of mind-boggling atmosphere that a cs rep's informative shpiel is meant to pierce. Information is what makes a rep important - otherwise, he's just selling boxes with attractive appliances inside. I made it very clear that I was a complete smartphone newbie, and asked directly about 'any new costs I should know about' - you'd think this would be the cs' opportunity to fill me in. He didn't.

As for why one would want to know whether it's possible to have such an intelligent phone without data access: Say you lose your job, can no longer afford the cost, and don't particularly want to change phones. The thing is a perfectly good PDA, as far as I can tell, and it's a perfectly good phone!

As for Sarah Palin, she is brilliant, in her way. But as a debater, she uses several (now famous) techniques of avoiding a direct answer. Techniques the supervisor was using as well - I understand there may not be much she could do.
    12-29-08 09:48 PM
    don't worry, if you lose your job, your cell phone bill will be the least of your worries....lol
    12-29-08 09:51 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD