I just recently got a laptop to use at work. I work 12 hour shifts and i was looking for a way to help the day pass by faster. So i thought i would be able to wifi but it turns out that everyone around me has there wireless passcoded. So i was trying to come up with a way to get on the internet.

I read some forum threads about Smart View and decided to try that. Couldnt get it to work. So i called Sprint and asked them about using my phone as a modem. Im on the Simply Everything plan 900 minutes unlimited date usage. She said i could NOT use my phone as modem on that plan but she could switch my plan around to where i was paying the same thing i am now and be able to use my phone as a modem.

Heres what i got:

I switched to the 900 minute Talk Plan, still includes free weekends and free after 7. Costs 59.99

She put me on a unlimited data and phone as modem plan for a extra 45.00. She said my monthly bill would be 111.99 a month, give or take some taxes etc... She said i have unlimited phone a modem usage. Even if its the cap 5gb thats fine. I just want to be able to use it at work on the weekends only. I have wireless cable internet at home. I wasnt sure if you guys were aware that Sprint has a Phone Modem plan as i wasnt. It sure beats buying their aircard and paying a extra 59.99 on top of your phone bill. Not to mention buying the actual card to go into a laptop. She said if i activated it now they would credit me the prorate for changing my plan in the middle of my bill cycle. I got her name to make sure i get that credit!!

I was worried about being able to send and recieve calls, texts etc while using the phone as modem at the same time. But ive been using it today and have been recieving calls as normal. Im trying to figure out a way to use my Bluetooth to connect to the phone as a modem without having to plug it up on the usb cable. I would like it to be a wireless connection. But other than that so far i have no complaints.
    12-28-08 11:05 AM
    you can send and recieve calls when you're using it as a modem, i use mine via bluetooth and i loveee it!!! It just pauses data when you're on a call
    12-28-08 02:40 PM
    You use it via bluetooth with the SmartView software or another way?
    12-28-08 03:07 PM
    I just recently got a laptop to use at work. I work 12 hour shifts and i was looking for a way to help the day pass by faster. So i thought i would be able to wifi but it turns out that everyone around me has there wireless passcoded. So i was trying to come up with a way to get on the internet.

I read some forum threads about Smart View and decided to try that. Couldnt get it to work. So i called Sprint and asked them about using my phone as a modem. Im on the Simply Everything plan 900 minutes unlimited date usage. She said i could NOT use my phone as modem on that plan but she could switch my plan around to where i was paying the same thing i am now and be able to use my phone as a modem.

Heres what i got:

I switched to the 900 minute Talk Plan, still includes free weekends and free after 7. Costs 59.99

She put me on a unlimited data and phone as modem plan for a extra 45.00. She said my monthly bill would be 111.99 a month, give or take some taxes etc... She said i have unlimited phone a modem usage. Even if its the cap 5gb thats fine. I just want to be able to use it at work on the weekends only. I have wireless cable internet at home. I wasnt sure if you guys were aware that Sprint has a Phone Modem plan as i wasnt. It sure beats buying their aircard and paying a extra 59.99 on top of your phone bill. Not to mention buying the actual card to go into a laptop. She said if i activated it now they would credit me the prorate for changing my plan in the middle of my bill cycle. I got her name to make sure i get that credit!!

I was worried about being able to send and recieve calls, texts etc while using the phone as modem at the same time. But ive been using it today and have been recieving calls as normal. Im trying to figure out a way to use my Bluetooth to connect to the phone as a modem without having to plug it up on the usb cable. I would like it to be a wireless connection. But other than that so far i have no complaints.
    As you found out, Sprint's Phone as Modem (PAM) plan is not an available "add on" option if you have one of Sprint's "Everything" plans (aside: isn't it an oxymoron to name a plan "everything" and then not included, or even make available, the ability to use everything??).

Glad you found an acceptable solution that works for you.

I really believe that it would make things LESS confusing for Sprint customers if instead of saying PAM is "not included" in the "Everything" plans, Sprint said: "PAM is not included AND not available" or, perhaps, simply "PAM is not available under this Everything plan."

I have one of Sprint's USB modems (Novatel's U727). It's the primary internet connection for our home (no cable; no dsl; and satellite sucks) AND I use it "mobile" for work too. The hardest part is remembering to stuff the U727 into the laptop bag each and every morning.

It would be *nice* to add PAM to our Everything Family Data share plan. Forget to pack the U727 just ONCE per month and - factoring in the value of my time AND the price of gasoline to schlep home to get it - it's worth the extra $15 to $20 to me to "legally" use my BB as a modem.
    12-29-08 08:32 AM
    By the way, just to clarify - Sprint's Curve (and I believe its other Blackberry devices) operate on the 1xEVDO (EVDO Rev. 0) standard . . . while Sprint's (newer) USB modems and aircards operate on the EVDO Rev. A standard.

In real world applications, some people won't notice the difference between the two standards (EVDO Rev. 0 and EVDO Rev. A) . . . nevertheless some people do notice the difference (and believe it is important to them).

If you're tethering with a Curve you'll be on the EVDO Rev. 0 standard . . . . if you're using a Sprint USB modem or Aircard, you'll be on EVDO Rev. A (if it's available).

Again, that difference may not make any difference to you, but for some applications in some circumstances, tethering may not yield as satisfactory results as using an USB modem or aircard.
    12-29-08 08:52 AM
    I had no problem connecting my curve to smartview! I open the program, connect my phone via usb, then wait for smartview to read my phone. After that hit the connect button. Haven't had a problem yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 01:42 PM
    Well i finally figured out how to get my Curve connected via bluetooth. I wasnt able to use the SmartView software to get connect to my phone via bluetooth. So i setup a manual bluetooth connection under my network connections.

When i called to setup my modem plan the CS i talked to did tell me that you cant get a modem plan with the Everything plans. She said you have to switch to a talk plan and then add it on. She didnt say it had to be the 900 talk plan though. So im sure you get the modem add on much cheaper than what im paying. I just told her i want everything im getting now plus the modem add on for the same price im paying now. She helped me get that.

Ive been logging into my Sprint account online to check my usage and my bill as im getting paranoid about over using my modem. I cant figure out by what is listed under my plan if im getting unlimited modem data usage. Ive read here and there that its capped at 5gb. I just dont want to login one day and see a huge whopping 600 dollar bill just for modem usage.

While i was on the phone with a Blackberry Tech Support person he told me that using a blackberry phone as modem via bluetooth was buggy. That he didnt recommend that i use it that way. So he only told me how to connect using the usb port. I had to figure out on my own how to connect via bluetooth. My bf told me that the connection would be slower if i used bluetooth than if i used a usb port. But since i dont have the high speed 2.0 usb ports on my laptop its already not going to be as fast. I cant tell a difference really. All i do is surf the web and check my email anyways. Its not like im downloading alot. I was told that if i use a 2.0 high speed usb port that the speed would be considerably faster though. Maybe when i get a new laptop i will be able to see if that is true.
    12-29-08 11:52 PM
    Mary Jane:

If you're just surfing the web and checking/sending email, you won't ever come *close* to the 5GB limit.

I use my USB modem to telework 2 - 3 times per week. In addition, the USB modem is the ONLY internet connection at our house So, in the evenings, the USB modem is hooked up to the wi-fi router to connect two laptops for web surfing/emailing by my wife and child (who likes to play Webkinz). That's on top of the desktop PC and *my* non-work related surfing and emailing.

With all of THAT use, we're only using 2.5 to 3.0 GB per month. The *biggest* month I ever had was 3.5GB, and that was because I was having trouble with TrendMicro Internet Security suite and had to download it 3-4 times.

For what you're doing 5GB is plenty.
    01-02-09 10:36 AM
    Wow, good deal Curve! Thank you for telling me that. I have been worried about it. I wasnt sure if when i got up to 5gb if Sprint would just deactivate my phone as a modem or just let me run up a huge bill, lol Do you know if there is a cap at 5gb?
    01-02-09 11:44 AM
    Wow, good deal Curve! Thank you for telling me that. I have been worried about it. I wasnt sure if when i got up to 5gb if Sprint would just deactivate my phone as a modem or just let me run up a huge bill, lol Do you know if there is a cap at 5gb?

There's a 5GB per month "limit" for the USB modems and, I'm told, that there is a 5GB limit for Phone as modem plans too.

From what I've read in some other forums from users who have exceeded 5GB in a month (on a USB modem) is that you're likely to *just* get a phone call or letter warning you that you went over the limit. If you do it habitually, then - again from what I've read - Sprint will just terminate you.

I haven't *read* a post FROM anyone who has gotten *charged* for data useage above 5GB on USB modem (or PAM plan). But, then again, for 90% of us, that's enough data per month (oh, sure, I'd love for the limit to be higher (or non-existent), then I could download movies from Netflix etc., but that's not my core use for my internet connection).

For comparison sake, Sprint charges $0.03 for "casual data useage" (i.e., those without a data plan). 1GB = 1,024MB = 1,024,000 KBs. Applying the $0.03 per KB rate, you'd have to go *over* the 5GB "limit" by 20,000KB to rack up $600 in additional data charges (assuming my math - which is always an adventure - is correct).
    01-02-09 02:31 PM
    Well i finally figured out how to get my Curve connected via bluetooth. I wasnt able to use the SmartView software to get connect to my phone via bluetooth. So i setup a manual bluetooth connection under my network connections.

When i called to setup my modem plan the CS i talked to did tell me that you cant get a modem plan with the Everything plans. She said you have to switch to a talk plan and then add it on. She didnt say it had to be the 900 talk plan though. So im sure you get the modem add on much cheaper than what im paying. I just told her i want everything im getting now plus the modem add on for the same price im paying now. She helped me get that.

Ive been logging into my Sprint account online to check my usage and my bill as im getting paranoid about over using my modem. I cant figure out by what is listed under my plan if im getting unlimited modem data usage. Ive read here and there that its capped at 5gb. I just dont want to login one day and see a huge whopping 600 dollar bill just for modem usage.

While i was on the phone with a Blackberry Tech Support person he told me that using a blackberry phone as modem via bluetooth was buggy. That he didnt recommend that i use it that way. So he only told me how to connect using the usb port. I had to figure out on my own how to connect via bluetooth. My bf told me that the connection would be slower if i used bluetooth than if i used a usb port. But since i dont have the high speed 2.0 usb ports on my laptop its already not going to be as fast. I cant tell a difference really. All i do is surf the web and check my email anyways. Its not like im downloading alot. I was told that if i use a 2.0 high speed usb port that the speed would be considerably faster though. Maybe when i get a new laptop i will be able to see if that is true.
    dude is an *****. bluetooth works perfectly. I use it on a daily basis and have yet to have a single issue in the 4 months i've had it.
    01-15-09 11:43 PM
    I don't think this has been addressed in this post, but here goes.

I'm on the Simply Everything Plan, and for a while I had no access to the internet except via my berry. I know they say that PAM isn't included, and isn't available, but here's the funny part. I remembered (from having an 8100 and an 8130 previously) that BlackBerry supports modem tethering natively, so I went out on a limb and installed SmartView on my laptop. I never called Sprint, never changed my plan, all I did was install SmartView. I hooked up my Curve, turned it on (make sure DM is shut down), hit connect, and presto! I was on the internet. I don't know if it was a fluke, or what, but I used that for a good month with no repercussions on my bill. Just food for thought.

01-16-09 12:07 AM
    Idk if this helps but to my knowledge there isn't much difference between the 45 dollar PAM and the 15 dollar PAM there both unlimited but what they might b doing is adding the blackberry plan which is 30 and the 15 dollar PAM plan which gives you 45.. I say just look at ur bill nd see what ur getting billed for if its the 45 dollar plan have it switched to the 15

01-16-09 12:33 AM

I'm on the Simply Everything Plan, and for a while I had no access to the internet except via my berry. I know they say that PAM isn't included, and isn't available, but here's the funny part. I remembered (from having an 8100 and an 8130 previously) that BlackBerry supports modem tethering natively, so I went out on a limb and installed SmartView on my laptop. I never called Sprint, never changed my plan, all I did was install SmartView. I hooked up my Curve, turned it on (make sure DM is shut down), hit connect, and presto! I was on the internet. I don't know if it was a fluke, or what, but I used that for a good month with no repercussions on my bill. Just food for thought.

I did the same thing and no charge the guy at sprint said it shouldn't have happen and dont do it again because then i will see a big bill...
    01-19-09 03:18 PM

That's how I did it also! Works great. Pretty fast to.

01-19-09 03:28 PM

You're correct, it wasn't addressed . . . in THIS thread.

But it has been addressed in other threads - that is, yes your BB will *actually* tether if you have a Simply Everything plan (or an Everything Data plan). There are two ways to do this: (1) just set up a new dial-up connection using Windows internet connection; or (2) download Smartview.

Technically, though, you're violating the terms of your contract with Sprint by tethering under the Simply Everything or Everything Data plans.

The question is: will Sprint do anything to you for "violating" the terms of your contract by *actually* tethering when your contract doesn't, technically, permit it.

For the most part, it seems, the answer is: Sprint has done nothing to those who have tethered (in violation of the terms of their contract). That is, LOTS of people ARE doing it . . . without suffering any negative consequences.

Some "third-hand" (or fourth-hand) stories about customers being charged for the data used, but nothing *confirmed* so far as I know. That is, no one has 'fessed up to getting charged for data here (when tethering under the Simply Everything or Everything Data plans).
    01-19-09 05:53 PM
    I have an question about the PAM.

My BB is under Sprint Relay, so I have the Data Plan only on my phone.

I've been using PAM since I got my BB in August 2008, but only recently it wouldn't let me browse websites, but Instant Messaging works just fine. Any idea of what's wrong?
    01-21-09 10:38 AM
    i use my curve with smart view with my laptop, and i didnt/dont tell sprint about it..

if they want to drop me, fine, theres other carriers.. in fact i wouldnt mind going to AT&T myself sometimes... sometimes.

cheers
    01-22-09 09:08 PM
    i use my curve with smart view with my laptop, and i didnt/dont tell sprint about it..

if they want to drop me, fine, theres other carriers.. in fact i wouldnt mind going to AT&T myself sometimes... sometimes.

cheers
    Another satisfied Sprint customer!!

My question is this:

(1) Does Sprint not have the technical capacity to tell who is tethering BBs w/o PAM; or

(2) Sprint DOES have the technical capacity to tell who is tethering BB w/o PAM, but just not doing much (if anything) about it?

Thoughts, opinions, actual answers?
    01-23-09 07:21 AM
    I have a curve and have used smartview to connect to my laptop. When I first installed the smartview software, I called Sprint to see if I'd be charged for using the BB as a modem that way. They said I would not be charged. I have the Everything 450 w/ BES plan.

I haven't used it much until a few days ago. We'll see if it shows up on my bill.
    01-23-09 08:16 AM
    I know my plan still works with phone as modem. I have the free BIS plan. Anyone tell me how to get smartview to work with bluetooth?
    09-03-10 04:24 PM
    Sprint will cut off your service after $500 in overages when you go over your 5GB cap.

09-06-10 12:07 AM
    All of this discussion over these ridiculous montly charges for phone as modem add on and what not, and connectivity to smartview via bluetooth questions and NOBODY is going to mention a thing about TetherBerry? Ok, well I won't say anything either.
    09-09-10 12:03 PM
    All of this discussion over these ridiculous montly charges for phone as modem add on and what not, and connectivity to smartview via bluetooth questions and NOBODY is going to mention a thing about TetherBerry? Ok, well I won't say anything either.
    xsport00:
    How does that work? My friend is trying to use her bold as a modem, but sprint told her she needs to pay...I was looking up options for her and saw that tetherberry app, but under the reviews some people said they were charged data charges even though they had "unlimited" plans....so they do or don't? or does it have to do with your calling/data plan?

hope my question makes sense...lol.
    09-13-10 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD