9520 with wifi...

=(
    12-26-08 02:12 AM
    That doesn't really mean anything. For all we know the 9520 could be missing something that both the 9500 and 9530 have... cdma radio or gps maybe?
    12-26-08 02:16 AM
    someone posted saying it didnt have GPS.....i cant see that being true though
    12-26-08 02:17 AM
    So, pay full-boat for a new 9520, sell the 9530 on eBay and use your WiFi'd 9520 on Verizon - after all, it's a world phone!
    12-26-08 02:19 AM
    What is the 9520?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 02:20 AM
    What would be Vodafone's motive? They usually have wifi on their devices.

well CX will neither confirm or deny the existence of gps. And do to the fact that everything I read there is no mention of it, I will assume there is no gps. This is just what I think, it is not a fact of the device though.
    What is the 9520?

the new version of the Storm coming to Rodgers in Canada
    12-26-08 02:21 AM
    i would take GPS over WiFi anyday
    12-26-08 02:23 AM
    So, pay full-boat for a new 9520, sell the 9530 on eBay and use your WiFi'd 9520 on Verizon - after all, it's a world phone!
    World phones do not need to have CDMA radios. Not all countries have CDMA, most actually have GSM; and the ones that do have CDMA also have GSM.
    12-26-08 02:23 AM
    i would take GPS over WiFi anyday
    I would do the reverse... you can always get a gps puck. The reverse would be harder to accomplish
    12-26-08 02:25 AM
    I don't care for wifi because here in australia all blackberrys with Vodafone have unlimited data as a standard.

12-26-08 03:04 AM
    Doesn't everyone already know that Verizon said no to wifi? I work for Motorola and I have first-hand knowledge of stuff like this. Carriers run the cell phones, now. The carrier will come in to the manufacturer and say, "Here's what we want, it must do this, this, and this, and cannot have this, that, and probably that. Do it this way or else we don't want your product. We've got plenty of other manufacturers that will play ball."
    12-26-08 03:30 AM
    Only issue being- Rogers is GSM and most likely didnt include Local CDMA bands. Most likely if at all only the Japanese CDMA BAnds and Quad Band GSM (for USA + World use)

aka cant activate to Verizon service as Verizon doesnt activate via Sim cards as Rogers, ATT, Tmobile, WORLD lol.
    12-26-08 04:09 AM
    It would've been nice to have wifi on our 9530s but with unlimited data plans I really don't "NEED" to have it. Wi-Fi alone is not big enough a reason for me to ditch the 9530... plus, isn't it nice to finally have a cool phone for at least 6 or 8 months before those GSM guys get one? lol By then you can say "nah, been there done that, 6 MONTHS AGO!"
    12-26-08 04:16 AM
    I don't care for wifi because here in australia all blackberrys with Vodafone have unlimited data as a standard.

Unlimited data is niiiice, wish I had that. WiFi is a lot fater than most network protocols though. Used badly it's like 3G, a big battery drainer but once it is connected, it does go quickly.
    12-26-08 06:40 AM
    Doesn't everyone already know that Verizon said no to wifi? I work for Motorola and I have first-hand knowledge of stuff like this. Carriers run the cell phones, now. The carrier will come in to the manufacturer and say, "Here's what we want, it must do this, this, and this, and cannot have this, that, and probably that. Do it this way or else we don't want your product. We've got plenty of other manufacturers that will play ball."
    You are bang-on right with that post. Carriers rule. They talk features on phones before they are made. If a new phone has a feature that is missing, they won't sell it and if it has one they done ant, they won't sell it.

This is regrettably where the iPhoney scored. Apple bult the product, created the hype and then pretty much forced it down the carriers throats because demand was so strong. Carriers were forced to take the device "as is" because everybody knew what the device could do from Apple's ad campaign. I bet the carriers just loved that one because thy were not in control for once.

Verizon is interested in making money. This is why they disabled GPS on the 8830 and 8330 (8130??, not sure) unless you tool the Verizon product for $10/month. They got sued and issued a new OS that enabled GPS for BBMaps. This was their fix. However they did not tell everyboy that hty had done this so there are 000s of Verizon customers still with no working GPS.

Likewize with WiFi, Verizon want you on their network, not on neighbor Joe next doors WiFi. This means that Verizon totally control your connectivity and may hold you to ransom on price hikes if they think they can get away with it. Without WiFi you have no choice.
    12-26-08 06:48 AM
    I am with the folks who say that dont reanny need wifi. It is nice to have and its fast an all but i get a decent 3g signal everywhere in Buffalo. I would probably have the wifi off all the time to conserve battery anyway. I know I'm not the only one who would either, it just doesnt make sense to leave it on unless you are using it. Most of the time I am just using the internet for a few minutes at most anyway.
    12-26-08 08:32 AM
    Ive had Wifi on some of my PDA's in the past. To be honest, i never used the wifi feature on any of them, so im not really bothered by the whole thing.
    12-26-08 10:24 AM
    You are bang-on right with that post. Carriers rule. They talk features on phones before they are made. If a new phone has a feature that is missing, they won't sell it and if it has one they done ant, they won't sell it.

This is regrettably where the iPhoney scored. Apple bult the product, created the hype and then pretty much forced it down the carriers throats because demand was so strong. Carriers were forced to take the device "as is" because everybody knew what the device could do from Apple's ad campaign. I bet the carriers just loved that one because thy were not in control for once.

Verizon is interested in making money. This is why they disabled GPS on the 8830 and 8330 (8130??, not sure) unless you tool the Verizon product for $10/month. They got sued and issued a new OS that enabled GPS for BBMaps. This was their fix. However they did not tell everyboy that hty had done this so there are 000s of Verizon customers still with no working GPS.

Likewize with WiFi, Verizon want you on their network, not on neighbor Joe next doors WiFi. This means that Verizon totally control your connectivity and may hold you to ransom on price hikes if they think they can get away with it. Without WiFi you have no choice.

This makes zero sense.

If Verizon forces us to have dataplans regardless, what do they care if we use their network or "neighbor Joe's'? I would think Verizon would prefer you to pay for their data plans, while not using their network. It's a win-win for them.

Like it was quoted earlier, I truly think there was no more room in the phone for a wi-fi chip.
    Last edited by jeffmvr; 12-26-08 at 10:32 AM.
    12-26-08 10:30 AM
    This makes zero sense.

If Verizon forces us to have dataplans regardless, what do they care if we use their network or "neighbor Joe's'? I would think Verizon would prefer you to pay for their data plans, while not using their network. It's a win-win for them.
    +1......

Plus, wi-fi would be nice for those places where you don't always even get service, let alone 1X or 1XEV........Yes, there are still places in this world like that
    12-26-08 11:28 AM
    wi-fi would of been nice for faster internet at times, but its not killing me, I can search anything whenever I want
    12-26-08 11:31 AM
    I don't think it was RIM or the carriers - there are no xx30 model BlackBerries (IE 8130/8330/8830) with WiFi, that is all xx20's which is where this device falls.

... This is why they disabled GPS on the 8830 and 8330 (8130??, not sure) unless you tool the Verizon product for $10/month. They got sued and issued a new OS that enabled GPS for BBMaps. This was their fix. However they did not tell everyboy that hty had done this so there are 000s of Verizon customers still with no working GPS...
    I am not aware of any lawsuit against Verizon (or any carrier) for GPS locking. These devices do not have GPS's they have aGPS's which mean the chip depends on the network for service. You can test this by turning off the network and trying to use the "GPS" in BBMaps. You will not see any satellites, at least I do not. As soon as I turn the network back on it picks up the satellites within seconds standing in the same location. So they aren't "locking the GPS", but locking access to there assist server for the GPS to work. Also, the OS had nothing to do with unlocking it. Many people did not upgrade the OS and still found the "unlock" working, because they simply allowed access to the assist server.
    12-26-08 11:44 AM
    This makes zero sense.

Like it was quoted earlier, I truly think there was no more room in the phone for a wi-fi chip.
    There are different data plans though. Some people think they have to get the most expensive data plan since they will be using the net all the time. In reality that is not true, but they dont know this and will be paying $20 more a month over the other user.
    12-26-08 11:45 AM
    Verizon doesn't have GSM. You'll connect outside a Vzn CDMA Network area at Roaming fee rates! Not worth WiFi at that cost...
    12-26-08 12:10 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD