I'm pretty nervous about upgrading my OS. I think I'm more afraid of screwing up & then not being able to fix it. So I was thinking one day, and I wonder would it be possible for someone who works at AT&T to do the upgrade for me? Or is this something that would have to be done on my own?

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 08:17 PM
    I am sure if you really want them to they would do it for a fee at any ATT service center but its really no big deal to do
    12-24-08 08:25 PM
    Just give yourself some more time and come back to it when you're more comfortable. There's no rush, .

12-24-08 08:30 PM
    What part of the Lone Star are you in ?
    Anywhere near Katy ?
    12-24-08 08:33 PM
    That first one makes you want to throw up. Just make a back-up first. And keep in mind, you can't do anything to it that can't be undone.
    12-24-08 08:35 PM
    I updated my OS for the first time about a week ago to v4.5, and it was amazingly easy. It took about an hour, but the update really has made my blackberry even more addictive.
    12-24-08 08:48 PM
    That first one makes you want to throw up. ...
    lol, great observation my friend, that first time through is a bit of a nail biter.... is it supposed to do that? It been 10 seconds and nothing is happening!...

After building up a bit of confidance, you learn to go take a coffee break, it will work just fine without your input.

Merry Christmas and thank you for your support, it has been great sharing the forums with you.
    12-24-08 08:50 PM
    That first one makes you want to throw up. Just make a back-up first. And keep in mind, you can't do anything to it that can't be undone.
    nothing to worry about after you backup the device....
    12-24-08 08:51 PM
    As posted above, make sure you backup your device and you'll be fine. But don't rush it if you're not comfortable.
    12-24-08 08:55 PM

Merry Christmas and thank you for your support, it has been great sharing the forums with you.
    Thanks Ston.. Uh, Reed. That means a lot coming from you. Same to you and yours!
    12-24-08 09:16 PM
    Yup, I did mine a while back, I was nervous too. Some ppl on here told me not to do it, others encouraged me. I was afraid of bricking it, but in the end, it all worked out.

Just like oneplanonelife said, it does make it more addictive! I even accidentally downgraded one morning before work and after I realized what I did, took a deep breath and cussed a few times, I upgraded it right then and was able to get to work on time you will do fine once you get the courage to do it
    12-24-08 10:05 PM
    yeah... i tried updating the OS and ended up wiping the whole thing... tried to plug it in and everytime i tried to load it up it would tell me i was missing some RIM Composite Driver and would disconnect during the load.
    12-24-08 10:24 PM
    i did it just now upgrading my os
    like my 4th time
    no biggie
    just long

now how do i check that the os has installed?
    i cant do it on the about screen since it doesnt work
    12-24-08 10:27 PM
    Make sure your laptop doesn't go into power save mode during the upgrade. I speak from experience, lol.

Luckily I did a backup beforehand and was able to recover the phone thanks to the very knowledgeable people we have here on the forums. That being said, 4.5 has been excellent and I couldn't imagine going back to 4.3
    12-24-08 11:26 PM
    i did it just now upgrading my os
    like my 4th time
    no biggie
    just long

now how do i check that the os has installed?
    i cant do it on the about screen since it doesnt work
    Alt shift H or alt e a c e if you have a pearl.

12-24-08 11:42 PM
    i wanna go to 4.5 but last time i did it i ended up wit ha fatal error and a device thhat didnt wasnt being recongized by the computer.
    12-25-08 12:00 AM
    I just upgraded for the first time less than an hour ago! Very nervewracking, but pretty easy really.

The only problem is I erased all of my contacts! Does anyone know how I can restore them?? There are a lot of numbers I really need!

12-25-08 12:16 AM
    Anywhere near Katy ?
    Texarkana. I'm guessing not, I have no idea where Katy, Texas is.

12-25-08 03:03 PM
    Anywhere near Katy ?
    Texarkana. I'm guessing not, I have no idea where Katy, Texas is.

12-25-08 03:17 PM
    About a mile North of the I-10, Hwy 99 intersection....

With BlackBerry Maps, you never have to ask for directions again.
    12-25-08 03:33 PM
    upgrading was a bit nerve racking the first time, but it is easy, just follow the sticky instructions and you will be fine, mine went perfect. I got the same want to throw up feeling I took my bb apart and replaced the housing too, but now it's not a big deal to do, just have to get comfortable and work at your own pace.
    good luck
    12-25-08 08:46 PM
    Hmm, well do to all the encouragement from everyone, I'm going to attempt to do this upgrade tomorrow morning. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Don't be surprise if I chicken out though. But I don't think I will chicken out. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Thanks for the encouragement.

12-25-08 10:23 PM
    I just upgraded for the first time less than an hour ago! Very nervewracking, but pretty easy really.

The only problem is I erased all of my contacts! Does anyone know how I can restore them?? There are a lot of numbers I really need!

Plug your device in and select click Backup & Restore, click Advanced, click File over the left hand box, then Open and select a recent previous backup to populate the box on the left, then highlight to select address book (you should have two address book entries, and then click the arrows to move the selection(s) to the box on the right. Then click update. This should return your address book contacts.

12-25-08 10:34 PM
    Hmm, well do to all the encouragement from everyone, I'm going to attempt to do this upgrade tomorrow morning. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Don't be surprise if I chicken out though. But I don't think I will chicken out. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Thanks for the encouragement.

If you feel really nervous, PM me and I'll help you. You would be number 25 that I have helped without a failure, knock on wood, lol.

12-25-08 10:36 PM
    If you feel really nervous, PM me and I'll help you. You would be number 25 that I have helped without a failure, knock on wood, lol.

Lol okay. Well I'm sure I'll PM you tomorrow! Thanks for offering to help too!

12-25-08 11:42 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD