Ok I know this guy who works for corporate at tmobile down here... He has an "informant" through blackberry that he gets ALL his info from... And we have been talking the last few weeks or month about the curve 8900 coming to tmobile as its already out in germany, and he was waiting on new info......

Now I ran into him yesterday and asked him if he heard anything new, he was told the new curve will actually be released as the javelin for tmobie but its gonna be a touch screen but also have a full qwerty keyboard... Anyone know anything? Sounds just like a g1 to me? Well anyways any info on this rumor or the 8900 tmobile release date would AWESOME thanks again

Phil

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 03:13 AM
    I've heard similar things at my store but I have pretty high doubts that TMO USA will implement the touch screen feature...would be sick though.
    I'd just be excited to have the Wifi features
    12-24-08 04:02 AM
    tmonews.com reporting FEB 18!
    12-24-08 07:12 AM
    Feb 14 for regular javelin, I don't know how it could be touch screen at this moment.
    12-24-08 09:36 AM
    The touchscreen version of the 8900 will not be unveiled until May at the annual WES as it is still "in the works". If his information is correct (which I doubt it is) then that would mean T-mobile would not get the 8900 until probably Q3 or Q4 2009. The term "Javelin" was the code name for the 8900 while it was still in development. Honestly, it sounds like this guy is telling you a lot of bad information.
    12-24-08 10:03 AM
    Touch screen version will be a future version, but not the 8900 Curve (Javelin).
    12-24-08 10:08 AM
    There was a bunch of posting on this a while back...

Check out this link and follow the "Rogers 2009 BB linup" link...Good info for a "rough" estimate of what's coming...

Bold/Storm/8900 Hybrid Device is Coming!!! | CrackBerry.com
    12-24-08 10:32 AM
    Even if a touch screen BB device happens to hit T-Mobile in the near future, lets just HOPE is performs a lot better than the Storm....

The Phoneking has spoken.....
    12-24-08 11:05 AM
    Me personally I don't like touch screen, so if they mess with my fav phone and ruin it by turning it into a touch screen ima be majorly upset

12-24-08 01:18 PM
    Me personally I don't like touch screen, so if they mess with my fav phone and ruin it by turning it into a touch screen ima be majorly upset

I personally don't like touchscreen phones either, but mainly because the ones available now you have to use them as a mouse and a keyboard together. Since I am used to using a touchpad on my laptop for a mouse then, to me, having a touchscreen phone to use as a mouse (replacing the trackball) but still having a physical keyboard for typing is the perfect blend that I'm sure I will be very happy with. I already know what phone I will be buying for myself next December!
    12-24-08 03:06 PM
    Touchscreen is something that wont be viable for another few years. As far as removing directional keys or the trackball for a touchscreen...bad idea imho.

12-24-08 06:18 PM
    Touchscreen is something that wont be viable for another few years. As far as removing directional keys or the trackball for a touchscreen...bad idea imho.

I hope not. If it had a touch screen, I would not buy it. Touch screens are imo a retrograde step that implements a cheapo keypad in place of a proper one with human friendly moving part.

It is simple to make a "software keyboard" that sort of works and then blame it on the fact that it is "only" a touch screen. A real keyboard is hard to do on a phoneand most phones fail dismally to provide one. The Blackberry has about the best I have seen.

If tuch screen-keyboards were so good then they would have replaced traditional PC keyboads decades ago. They have not done so.
    12-24-08 06:29 PM
    CB member Stop-N-Go first posted about a Javelin w/touch and 3G. I'm not sure if it's going to T-Mobile, but Rogers and AT&T is a sure bet.
    12-24-08 06:32 PM

Replacing the trackball for a touchscreen that would act as a mouse is a personal preference for sure, not one is better than the other. The same discussion goes with the mouse on a Laptop. Some people prefer the "eraser" type and some prefer the touchpad, its simply a personal preference. Some Laptops, like Dell, are produced with both options so the user can choose whichever they like. I can easily see RIM doing something similar by having a touchscreen replacing a trackball or even a trackball and a touchscreen on the same model so that everyone can choose. I can also see RIM having slightly different models, one with a trackball and one with a touchscreen with slightly different features on each (WiFi on one, 3G on another, etc) to target a larger audience.

As far as having a virtual keyboard on the screen, like the Storm, that is definitely a targeted phone for a particular niche. Not every Blackberry user will like or even want the Storm. I know I don't, its just not for me. I would think that most Corporations and Businesses will choose a full-keyboard model Blackberry over a virtual keyboard Blackberry because if nothing else a full-keyboard just seems more efficient and will thus increase production. Its possible I am off-base on this but that's how it seems to me. Being a business owner myself, I clearly know when my business partner is using his touchscreen phone (*cough*HTC*cough*) because of all the misspellings, typos, etc - especially when he is in a moving vehicle. I cringe every time I know he is sending emails to clients using that phone. Anyway, that's my 2 Pesos.
    12-24-08 09:14 PM

I agree, touch screen makes the phone more like a toy. Personally, I am not a fan of the touch screen. I read that the 8900 would have an azerty keyboard. Looked it up and its kinda funky, and I believe that I also read thats french or overseas format. Hopefully they dont mess with the keyboard, qwerty works.
    12-30-08 10:43 PM
    I agree, touch screen makes the phone more like a toy. Personally, I am not a fan of the touch screen. I read that the 8900 would have an azerty keyboard. Looked it up and its kinda funky, and I believe that I also read thats french or overseas format. Hopefully they dont mess with the keyboard, qwerty works.
    It's will 300% be a qwerty keyboard
    12-30-08 10:46 PM
    it's qwerty in the US
    12-30-08 10:51 PM
    QWERTY: NA/USA
    QWERTZ: German
    AZERTY: French
    12-30-08 10:57 PM
    Feb 14 for regular javelin, I don't know how it could be touch screen at this moment.

It's plastered all over the internet that it's getting released on the 18th, but OK!!! The sky is green too!
    12-31-08 08:41 AM
    It's plastered all over the internet that it's getting released on the 18th, but OK!!! The sky is green too!
    Okay...... then I made a mistake by 4 days.
    12-31-08 10:34 AM
    YES there will be a touch screen QWERTY keyboard blackkberry coming to TMO in Q4 of 09. It is not coded as the Jav though. Thats for the 8900.
    12-31-08 06:18 PM
    YES there will be a touch screen QWERTY keyboard blackkberry coming to TMO in Q4 of 09. It is not coded as the Jav though. Thats for the 8900.
    Is this a new roadmap for 2009??? Any proof of the "Q4 of 09"???
    01-01-09 07:56 AM
    Pluto should be announced at WES with a "Fall" or "Winter" availability
    01-01-09 08:00 AM
    If you look in the BlackBerry.alx file in the 4.5.1.101 software, there is "Orion" I never heard of that. Also listed with that is of is Javelin, SeaWolf, Kickstart and Thunder

01-01-09 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD