Here's the deal, I have the BB curve 8330. I installed latest Desktop Manager software. It worked for a while now it wont recognize my device being plugged in. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Uninstalled DM, re-installed it back on computer, Nothing
    2. Uninstalled USB drivers, re-installed back on computer, NOTHING
    3. Got a new USB cord, NOTHING
    4. Got a new device, NOTHING

I am going INSANE! VZW says its my computer, my computer manufacturer says its the phone. I dont know what else to do. Please help!!!

another thing too as soon as i plug the device in the usb port it shows it charges but after 5 seconds the icon goes away.
    12-23-08 11:22 PM
    Try reinstalling your Operating System (OS) onto your computer.
    12-23-08 11:24 PM
    I have a feeling it's the DM either something has gone corrupt in the registry or the dll file. Uninstall the DM. Then look in c:\program files and delete the Research In Motion Folder. There's also another folder in c:\program files\common files and C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data, and delete the Research In Motion folder also. If you don't see the folders there then don't worry about it.

Look in the registry also HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and delete the Research In Motion Folder also. Also do the same in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

That should remove all items related to the desktop manager in your computer. Reboot and then reinstall the Desktop Manager software.

After the DM has installed plug your blackberry in and it should recognize it as a new device.
    12-23-08 11:25 PM
    There's also another folder in c:\program files\common files and C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data, and delete the Research In Motion folder also.
    When I delete the rim folder inside the common files folder it says that RIMAutoupdate.exe cant be deleted due to access being denied. either its in use or write protected. any suggestions?
    12-23-08 11:37 PM
    Reboot machine and they try deleting those folders.
    12-23-08 11:54 PM
    Go to process manager and see if RIMAutoupdate.exe is there, if so, close it! Then try deleting it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 12:06 AM
    I just got my Blackberry 8330 yesterday and have been very frustrated in getting the Desktop Manager software working.

I've spent the better part of the day working on this issue, and tonight I finally made it work! Here's how to fix the "USB device not found" issue when connecting a BB 8330 to Windows XP SP2 (service pack 2) when using Desktop Manager 4.2.2.

This post is a gathering of about 5 different posts I found today on several different message boards.

First, I should mention that I was having major issues with the most recent versions of Desktop Manager (would get hung up telling me I wasn't connected to the Internet!), so I did as many on the boards have suggested and made plans to install Desktop Manager 4.2 sp2 (4.2.2). This is available on the blackberry.com downloads page.

Since I spent so much time on it and it actually worked, I wanted to document it here in the hopes that others would benefit!

=======
    STEP 1
    =======

If you've attempted to install any version of Desktop Manager software up to this point, make sure you've completely removed the old versions by following the instructions in this post found on another BB site. Note that you may not have the "Pumatech" folders mentioned in this section -- I did not.

"How to Perform a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software"

Details

The clean uninstall procedure removes all traces of the BlackBerry Desktop Software. It consists of six tasks.

1. Uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    2. Delete the Research In Motion� folders from the registry.
    3. Delete the Pumatech Shared folders from the registry (if present).
    4. Delete the Research In Motion folders from your hard drive.
    5. Delete the Pumatech Shared folder from your hard drive (if present).
    6. Restart your computer.
    7. Register alt.dll (reinstall only).

Task 1 - Uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software

To uninstall

1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. Open the Control Panel and double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
    3. Select BlackBerry Desktop Software and click Change/Remove.
    4. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click the Remove option, followed by Next.
    5. On the Confirm Uninstall window, click OK.
    6. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click Finish.

Task 2 - Delete the Research In Motion Folders from the Registry

To delete the Research In Motion folders

1. Click Start > Run.
    2. Type Regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In Registry Editor, delete the Research In Motion folder located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
    4. Delete the Research In Motion folder located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
    Note: This key will not be present if you are removing Desktop Manager version 4.0.

5. Leave the Registry Editor open to complete the next task.

Task 3 - Delete the Pumatech Shared Folders from the Registry (If Present)

Pumatech Shared folders only exist in the registry prior to Desktop Manager version 4.0 service pack 1.

To delete the Pumatech Shared folders

1. In Registry Editor, delete the Puma Technology folder located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
    2. Delete the Puma Technology folder located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
    3. Close the Registry editor.

Task 4 - Delete the Research In Motion Folders from Your Hard Drive

If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\
    Note: This key may not be present if you are removing Desktop Manager version 4.0.

3. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files (if present).
    4. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\
    Note: If you are unable to see the Application Data folder, it might be a hidden system folder. See the Additional Information section for instructions on how to display hidden files and folders.

5. If you were using Desktop Manager version 4.0 service pack 1, delete the BlackBerry Desktop folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user names>\Application Data\.

If you are using Windows 98 or Windows ME

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\
    3. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Windows\Application Data\

Task 5 - Delete the Pumatech Shared Folder from Your Hard Drive (If Present)

The Pumatech Shared folder exists prior to Desktop Manager version 4.0 service pack 1.

To delete the Pumatech Shared folder from your hard drive, open Windows Explorer and delete the Pumatech Shared folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\

If you were using Desktop Manager 4.0.1, remove Pumatech software from your hard drive by opening Windows Explorer and navigating to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Pumatech Desktop Setup
    Note: Any synchronization software for other personal digital assistants (PDAs) that use the Pumatech Shared folder must be reinstalled after the BlackBerry Desktop Software is uninstalled.

If you are unable to delete the Pumatech Shared folder, rename it by completing the following steps:

1. Right-click the Pumatech Shared folder and select Rename.
    2. Rename the folder (for example, Pumatech Shared_old).
    3. Press Enter.

Task 6 - Restart the Computer

The desktop software should now be fully uninstalled. Restart the computer to make sure that all background processes are cleared from system memory.

Task 7 - Register alt.dll (reinstall only)

Before you re-install the desktop software, register the atl.dll file.

To register the atl.dll file, complete the procedure that corresponds with the Microsoft� Windows� operating system you have installed on your personal computer.

For Windows 98, ME, or Windows NT� 4.0

1. Open a command prompt. For example, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    2. Depending on your operating system, type one the following at the command prompt and press ENTER:
    * For Windows NT 4.0, type cd c:\winnt\system32
    * For Windows 98 and ME, type cd c:\windows\system
    3. Type regsvr32 atl.dll and press ENTER. A message indicates that the registration was successful.
    4. Type exit and press ENTER.
    5. Restart the computer.

For Windows 2000 or XP

1. Click Start > Run.
    2. In the Run window, type regsvr32 atl.dll and click OK. A message indicates that the registration was successful.
    3. Restart the computer.

=======
    STEP 2
    =======

Download Desktop Manager 4.2.2 from the Blackberry Downloads page.

If it's connected -- disconnect your BB from the computer (disconnect USB cable).

Once downloaded, locate the 4.2.2 file and double click it to begin the installation. Follow the instructions for installation, including the reboot.

=======
    STEP 3
    =======

Launch Desktop Manager.

Attach your BB to the PC using the USB cable. Connect the USB cable on the computer to a primary USB hub (an open USB port on the back of the machine).

In Desktop Manager, go to Options --> Connection Settings

Attempt to set USB as the connection method.

If this fails (this is probably why you're here)...do this:

=======
    STEP 4
    =======

I found this 2005 posting on yet another message board -- this is the best advice I found all day and it is what did the job for me! I've also combined some info here from yet another post in yet another site about getting into Device Manager and prepping for the final steps...

To open device manager, click Start --> Run and type: Devmgmt.msc

Click OK or hit enter.

In the Device Manager list, go to the very top of the list to the icon of the computer...right-click this and select "Scan for hardware changes"

A new scan should reveal and 'unknown device' or a big yellow question mark that might be labled Blackberry device or RIM handheld. You may need to open the USB tree (click on the + sign to open the full list) in order to see the listing.

In Device Manager, click on RIM Handheld or Blackberry or Unknown Handheld, as there is no driver but the device is still detected (may be listed under 'other devices' too). [NOTE from ylekiot51 - mine was in the list as a big yellow question mark labeled Blackberry Device.)

Double click on the Blackberry/RIM/unknown device (not the top listing, but the second yellow question mark one level down right under the first yellow question mark). You'll get a pop-up box.

Go to the Driver tab in the pop-up...select Update Driver, and then select "Install from a list or specific location"

Then choose "Search for the best driver in these locations."

Check the box for "Include this location in the search (do not check the "Search removable media" checkbox.)

Enter this location as the source of the drivers:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers

Hit next [and hopefully watch the update take place over several seconds] and you�re done.

It will ask for a restart�go ahead and restart.

Uncradle the BB [disconnect the USB cable)

Soft reset the BB with the pin-in-the-hole trick (keep uncradled) (5min or so till it will be ready to recradle�) wait for the hourglass to disappear. [NOTE from ylekiot51: Not sure about this -- I didn't need to do anything to the BB.]

once you are logged back in as the user� recradle the BB [reconnect the USB cable] and it should install is RIM handheld

=======
    STEP 5
    =======

In the Desktop Manager software, to to Options...Connections Settings... and attempt the USB connection again. This is when I started celebrating -- because the device was found!

Double-click Synchronize, then select the Configuration Tab, to tell the software what PC Applications you want it to use for source data.

Then head back to the synchronize tab, check the box for Synchronize organizer data, and click the Synchronize Now button.

Pure joy.

I do hope this works for others. Please post any corrections if I've missed something in the process.
    Last edited by ylekiot51; 01-07-09 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelled out first usage of words prior to using abbreviations to aid in search
    01-06-09 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD