Here is my story
    I posted a thread a couple months ago about my tragic brainfart where I left my bold on the roof of my car and it was run over on the highway. The screen was destroyed (displayed nothing) but the phone could still send and receive calls. Anyway, some helpful people pointed me towards cnn.cn where i ordered a new screen that arrived a couple weeks ago, I followed the instructional video and to my predicted dismay the phone would not turn on. I tried all the tricks and cables, with and without the battery. Still nothing.
    I called Rogers support and simply told them the phone stopped working, with no questioning the guy said that another bold was on its way and i took the parcel from the UPS guy at my door a couple days later. I booted the new phone and saw the most hideous-pink dead pixel right in the middle of the screen...The new bold worked but with a drawback that would irritate me for years. I decided to try putting the new battery in the old phone. She started right up, screen and everything. Odd. Well since I spent $95 on this screen from cnn and it is flawless, why not put it in the new phone. I did the surgery in about 10 minutes and switched it on. The screen went white...and stayed white. I plugged it in to my comp and saw the "Blackberry device software successfully installed" bubble and then started up the desktop manager but found the phone wasn't being recognized. I then attempted a phone scrub using JL Comand but again i think the phone wasn't recognized.
    To make this in short; I have 2 working bolds, the screens work but do not work when i switch them into the opposite phone. The phone is not recognized on my comp when it has the incompatible screen in it.
    I need your expertise people! Why don't the screens work in the opposite phone and is there anyway to make the phone recognized for an OS reinstall (I'm running vista if that matters).
    Thank you for reading, and thank you more for any help!

P.S. if your wondering why i don't just use the old phone its because i have to send one of them back to rogers and i would rather send the one that got run over
    12-22-08 05:20 PM
    Tell them the replacement they sent doesn't work
    12-22-08 09:51 PM
    Tell them the replacement they sent doesn't work
    I was hoping for something that wouldn't take a month to process but yes that is an option. I came to CB to see if any savvy people could help solve this with what i have now.
    12-23-08 01:33 AM
    hmm.. have you found a solution to your problem? because i happen to have come across the same situation, i've cracked my screen and ordered a replacement len/lcd screen. i installed it today but the only output i get is a blank white screen, the phone itself also works as i can make and recieve phone calls. maybe we installed the screen incorrectly? because i too followed the instructions from cnn.cn but i can't see what else there could be to it? can anyone else help? thanks
    01-07-09 12:35 AM
    I would say reinstall the os theres a blog on a nuked Bold with a white screen. Idk if that is really youre problem but it might reformat the bold and could work afterwards...idk its worth a try.
    01-07-09 12:41 AM
    i've considered that option but i don't think it'll solve the problem because the device itself is not nuked as i can still make calls from it, however i may try just try it as im becoming desperate to get it working again! thanks anyway.
    01-07-09 08:55 AM
    i've considered that option but i don't think it'll solve the problem because the device itself is not nuked as i can still make calls from it, however i may try just try it as im becoming desperate to get it working again! thanks anyway.
    I tried doing a reinstall with mine but the phone isn't recognized at all when i plug it in with the white screen. Even turned off or battery out.
    I even tried to scrub the phone but again the program wouldn't recognize it was there.
    So if you find a solution let me know as well
    01-07-09 11:14 PM
    I tried doing a reinstall with mine but the phone isn't recognized at all when i plug it in with the white screen. Even turned off or battery out.
    I even tried to scrub the phone but again the program wouldn't recognize it was there.
    So if you find a solution let me know as well
    i haven't tried reinstalling the OS yet however when i plug my device in, my computer still recognizes it so im assuming theres just something wrong with the screen. however as explained replacing the screen one another purchsed from turnonyourmobile.com just left me with a blank white screen, therefore im not sure if the screen is the problem or my device as i've already tried replacing it. anyways im now in the process of returning the screen i purchased and try purchasing another one from cnn.cn which seems to be more reliable. i'll keep u updated if i find the solution to the white screen problem.
    01-08-09 09:46 PM
    i mean no offance by this comment but do you think your doing something wrong as both times when you open up your bold they start malfunctioning
    01-09-09 12:34 AM
    i hope i haven't caused anything to malfunction by opening the bold.. but i don't think i have tbh. im still able to make and recieve calls so the device itself is still working, its just that i have no display and therefore unable to navigate through the device. anyways i just have my fingers crossed that the replacement screen sent to me was a defective screen.. as ive already sent it back, just waiting for them to test the screen and confirm this. if not that im totally screwed coz then i wouldnt knw where the problem is comin from.. *sighss*
    01-09-09 07:24 AM
    i mean no offance by this comment but do you think your doing something wrong as both times when you open up your bold they start malfunctioning
    The cause of the malfunction is not from opening it. I Know this because when i put the screen with the dead pixel back in, the phone boots up and works normally. I guess somewhere there is an incompatibility with phones manufactured at different times.
    01-09-09 07:07 PM
    I have recently learned that the Bolds are made in different locations. I looked at my phones and one was made in Canada the other in Hungary. So maybe there is an incompatibility depending on origin.
    01-11-09 02:07 PM
    I believe this may be true.. there maybe a compatibility issue with the make of the phones as well as the lcd screens. i've noticed that with a previous replacement screen i purchased.. the connection socket of the screen was slightly different from the original screen socket that i damaged on my bold.

1st image is of the orignal screen socket that was compatible with my hungary manufactured bold.

2nd image is of the screen socket i purchased off ebay that when installed only displayed a white blank screen.

so maybe the replacement screen i purchased is only compatible with bolds manufactured in canada? which is why it didnt work with my hungary manufactured bold. OR the replacement screen was jus a fake off ebay? i dunno what to believe..
    01-21-09 08:24 AM
    hmm.. just realised i cant post images.. well bsically theres a design difference in the connection sockets of the screen.
    01-21-09 08:26 AM
    I have the same problem white screen and replaced it with another one and still have the white screen but the rest of the phone works. Iam thinking that the second lcd screen i got is the wrong one but if seems to fit ok and the socket fit good i'll let you know as soon as i can get the second lcd tested.
    02-14-09 01:10 AM
    I know theres a store down here in Los Angeles, that does repairs, its called Dialnet - Call us 7 days a week. I've personally worked with them and can say they are top notch. If you are ever in LA, maybe you can bring your phone to them to check out and repair.
    02-14-09 02:36 AM
    I had the same problem. Basically there are two screens available for the bold. You have to make sure that what ever screen that you buy- the connectors are exactly the same.
    02-19-09 11:48 AM
    ^^ how do u tell the difference ... to the best of my knowledge the hungary bolds are the ones that are facing the white screen issue :S sadly mines a hungary made 1
    02-19-09 01:17 PM
    I'm not sure if this is a way to tell what screen you need but the mother board in my bold is the color blue and it says it's made in canada I have tried 4 LCD displays screens OEM and screens taken out of green colored mother boards and they all give me white screen problems. I hope this helps you guys out because so far i cant find the proper screen for my bold. My bold is a rogers phone if that helps
    Last edited by winddrift; 02-21-09 at 07:18 AM.
    02-21-09 07:16 AM
    So have you figured this out yet ? how to determine which screen is needed
    02-25-09 11:29 AM
    no i'm sorry i have no more information on the two different LCD screens but I am going to a repair shop on friday he says he more infomation on the lcd for me i'll keep updating this post when i have more news
    02-25-09 07:14 PM
    I too have a "Hungary" Bold and experienced the white screen of death when I installed a replacement screen. I found a site PDAsmart.com that lists the screens by part number. It's the small number etched in the area below the screen (I needed a magnifying glass to read this number). The number ends in either 001/004 or 002/004. The website lists the screens for $120 but they are available on E-bay from the same vendor for $70. I should have my second replacement screen tomorrow and I'll let you know if it works.
    02-25-09 07:34 PM
    thanks for the great news i hope you get it working again can you please tell me what color your main board is please.
    02-26-09 04:09 PM
    I just installed the new screen and it works perfect. Crystal clear screen as expected in a Bold. I sorry to admit that I failed to look at the color of my main board. As previously stated, I ordered the screen based on the (tiny) part number etched in the rim below the screen. My part number ended in 002/004. PDA smart delivered the correct screen. It's good to have my Bold back.

Now it's time to upgrade the OS
    02-26-09 06:28 PM
    where can i find the part number for my screen? I have a 1 DEAD pixel that just pisses me off everytime i go to a pure white screen like texting. i want to make sure I get the correct screen for my Bold. Great thread though! I would've never guessed there were different types of screens?
    03-09-09 11:31 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD