So I've been mostly pleased with the storm besides the few quirks i've run into, but one thing i'm unsure about is what sort of 3G service I should be expecting. Right now the only signal I can get (2 different locations, 1 urban 1 suburban) is the 1XEV. If I mess with the settings sometimes I can pick up an AT&T 3G signal but it tells me "Sim Card Rejected" and gives the SOS. So i'm guessing you can't use other providers signals.

Is this as expected or are there other things I should be trying out? Thanks.
    12-22-08 09:24 AM
    1xEV is Verizons 3g network.
    12-22-08 09:25 AM
    With US Verizon service the "1XEV" is all you will see. If you connect the storm to a GSM server across the pond it will show 3g I think. You are still actually getting the 3g speed with the "1XEV" showing though.
    12-22-08 09:27 AM
    I guess consumers have gotten to brainwashed that unless they see 3G on something now, they just don't think they are connected at fast speeds. News flash, Verizon had 3G implemented WAY before AT&T even coined the phrase.
    12-22-08 09:28 AM
    I do believe if most people don't see "3G" they don't believe the device has it. To say the least, AT&T has done a good job on perception.
    12-22-08 09:29 AM
    That's why I keep saying Verizon should have really advertised the Storm as having 3.5G on their network. It would have been correct and would have upped the ante against AT&T at their own wording game.
    12-22-08 09:38 AM
    That's why I keep saying Verizon should have really advertised the Storm as having 3.5G on their network. It would have been correct and would have upped the ante against AT&T at their own wording game.
    I agree. But AT&T would strike back soon, considering they're testing their 7.2Mbps upgrade. It should be live soon.
    12-22-08 09:41 AM
    Why is it that Verizon has had the technology in place longer? Is the a "benefit" for being CDMA?
    12-22-08 09:41 AM
    Why is it that Verizon has had the technology in place longer? Is the a "benefit" for being CDMA?
    Have you seen all of those really smart looking techie people and the helicopters in their ads? ;-)
    12-22-08 09:47 AM
    The only benefit of CDMA over HSPA is CDMA has been around longer, thus in more places. HSPA does has some advantages over CDMA, one being data and talking on the phone at the same time. There are some others, but they're rather technical.
    12-22-08 09:49 AM
    No, it's a benefit of keeping your network upgraded constantly. 3G just means 3rd Generation network (please search, it's been discussed a bazillion times). Verizon's current EVDO Rev.A is really their 3.5 Generation network if you really wanted to look at it that way, but they don't. They see it like an upgrade in speed to their existing 3G network. Similar to what AT&T is doing in regards to CX's post right above.

CX, I'll be happy when everyone is on LTE. None of this BS about not being able to buy a phone you really want and use it with anyone as your carrier.
    12-22-08 09:49 AM
    I think you will find GSM 3G is better as it allows simultaneous voice and data. CDMA doesn't allow this. CX can explain better as this may be a provider restriction as apposed to a CDMA restriction.
    12-22-08 09:50 AM
    I wondered about this to because page 39 of the tips manual makes it seem that 1XEV is a level below 3G. Always seeing 1XEV on my phone made me think I was not receiving 3G ever. Yes some of us do actually read the manual.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 09:53 AM

CX, I'll be happy when everyone is on LTE. None of this BS about not being able to buy a phone you really want and use it with anyone as your carrier.

OMG! I can't wait either! All of the fighting about which network is better, etc. Plus as you said, the ability to use what ever device you please. Plus of course, last but not least, the speed of LTE. Patiently waiting.
    12-22-08 09:55 AM
    I wondered about this to because page 39 of the tips manual makes it seem that 1XEV is a level below 3G. Always seeing 1XEV on my phone made me think I was not receiving 3G ever. Yes some of us do actually read the manual.

That's because the tips manual was written by someone with no knowledge apperently. I read the cutdown manual they sent with the phone as well and there's a few mistakes in there as well.
    12-22-08 09:55 AM
    OMG! I can't wait either! All of the fighting about which network is better, etc. Plus as you said, the ability to use what ever device you please. Plus of course, last but not least, the speed of LTE. Patiently waiting.
    Then we'll be seeing those posts about "Is LTE WiMax or not?" :rolleyes. I hope WiMax dies a quick death along with Sprint. I skimmed past some kind of lawsuit thing that might keep WiMax from happening. Didn't read into it, but one can only hope...
    12-22-08 09:57 AM
    Then we'll be seeing those posts about "Is LTE WiMax or not?" :rolleyes. I hope WiMax dies a quick death along with Sprint. I skimmed past some kind of lawsuit thing that might keep WiMax from happening. Didn't read into it, but one can only hope...
    Honestly, I just don't see it taking off. Not to mention Sprints money troubles.
    12-22-08 10:00 AM
    I think you will find GSM 3G is better as it allows simultaneous voice and data. CDMA doesn't allow this. CX can explain better as this may be a provider restriction as apposed to a CDMA restriction.
    True, but I'll give up simultaneous voice and data on GSM to get away from that annoying high pitch hiss typical of a GSM network. CDMA voice quality blows GSM away. In my humble opinion, of course.
    12-22-08 10:04 AM
    I think its unfortunate for Verizon that they really didn't just advertise the fact that they do have 3.5g and att is all over the place with "their" 3g. For those that don't know ATT's 3g network only covers 45% of the US population. While VZW's covers 85% of the masses. Not a big deal if your in a large city or metro, but if your in middle sized town usa or smaller, this could be an issue. I came from a town in AZ that only had 2 stop lights and was an hour away from the closest town. VZW was the only provider that could give me service up that was any good. Alltel got you service up there with a lot of dropped calls and dead spots. I now live in the PHX area where service is a non issue for any carrier, except for my friends with TMO.
    12-22-08 10:23 AM
    wow sorry to start up such a debate, but thanks for all the good info.
    12-22-08 10:27 AM
    wow sorry to start up such a debate, but thanks for all the good info.
    No need to say sorry, we are just discussing our thoughts and ideas. Thank you for starting up this conversation.
    12-22-08 10:29 AM
    After reading the manual I called verizon because as you said it seems like 1XEV is a level below 3G. They told me that the manual may say that, but for verizon 1XEV is the 3G network
    12-22-08 11:12 AM
    After reading the manual I called verizon because as you said it seems like 1XEV is a level below 3G. They told me that the manual may say that, but for verizon 1XEV is the 3G network
    Who said 1XEV was a level below 3G?
    12-22-08 11:57 AM
    Who said 1XEV was a level below 3G?
    The manual.

12-22-08 12:10 PM
    Come on guys, dont you know that 3G is only for the iPhone? God, I'm surrounded by amateurs!

12-22-08 12:38 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD