hello fellow crackberry users, i have a storm and like it thus far, i was wondering tho is there a turn by turn navi app available for the storm? i used google maps but find its lack of knowing where i am makes it useless,and the map app that comes with the storm falls short of perfection also, so do you guys know of a tomtom like app or something along those lines that would be what im looking for?
    12-21-08 05:16 PM
    Have you tried VZ Navigator for 9.99 a month. Also do a search on this subforum under advanced search for Garmin Mobile for Blackberry. It gives you some user reviews and also a link for a 7 day trial. After that it is a 99.99 price tag. More info if you search.
    12-21-08 05:17 PM
    i was hoping for something a little less hurting on the wallet, plus i like the view of an actual map that blackberry maps gave you, that coupled wiith turn by turn would be amazing
    12-21-08 05:22 PM
    garmin maps is hands down the best thing ive ever experienced for the storm. It works flawlessly. 99 isnt so bad... its a one shot deal.
    12-21-08 05:32 PM
    Well in that respect you do get what you pay for.
    I understand about the hurting wallet.

I use VZ Nav which is really great for me. I live in Northern VA and it does traffic really really well for me in the morning and is pretty accurate. Also the maps and routing seem just as good or better than the Garmin which I did not care for since it did not show some roads in my area.

You can aslo try VZ Nav for free for the first 30 days. Or that is what it was when I got the storm on Nov 21. You can alwyays call Cust Serv. and verify with them.
    12-21-08 05:32 PM
    I just bought the Garmin download today for $79 lifetime. Why use VZ Nav for $120 a year?
    12-21-08 05:40 PM
    there is a free one called nav4all (I think that's the name) that people say works well.
    12-21-08 05:43 PM
    I just bought the Garmin download today for $79 lifetime. Why use VZ Nav for $120 a year?
    That has been discussed in the main thread about garmin.

But for me I will repeat the two from my above posts since I guess you overlooked that when posting your comment. These are also my personal opinions.

1. Traffic updates through VZNav are far superior for me in my area in Northern VA
    2. Quite a few roads in my area are not seen or used in routing with Garmin no matter what pref settings you use compared to VZNav.

Additional Ones
    3. The map quality is a lot better to me and not so cartoonish
    4. Quicker updates and navigation compared to the Garmin app.

Only pro I can give garmin over VZNav is the gas price search
    12-21-08 05:47 PM
    79.00life timd till u need to replace your phone. That's an ouch

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 05:47 PM
    Only if there was an "offline" GPS app like tom tom had for the palm and WinMo.. having to hit the internet for maps bothers me only because there are times that i may not have a good signal and thats when i need the nav the most!!

A Navi App with offline maps i would have NO problem paying for(no problem with garmin either but i go to Europe and still need to bring garmin nuvi). Untill then i have to also lug around a garmin nuvi 260 with a mount that clips to my vent.. i like it there much better then windshield.

I just want to be able to keep nuvi at home sometimes and have one less thing to haul around!!
    12-21-08 06:43 PM
    Any word on whether or not tomtom 7 will be storm compatible?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 07:05 PM
    I was hesitant to purchase the Garmin Maps for fear my Storm goes down, and then I would have to pay another $80 for the app. I e-mailed Garmin support and asked what would happen if my phone broke and had to be replaced. Their reply stated if the Storm had to be replaced for warranty reasons, they would be able to re-send the app to me at no charge. I didn't ask exactly what was required on my end to make that happen, but I was satisfied with their answer. I have dealt with Garmin support in the past, and they have been outstanding.
    12-21-08 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD