Using .75 and just OTA downloaded opera browser. When you click a text box the keyboard does not come up. You select a text box, the blue outline shows up and it wont select it when you click. You have to click and monkey around with a box about 20 times before it actually selects it. I downloaded the OTA from this site, so not sure if it is made for the Storm but this Opera acts like it is not made for this phone.

There also appears to be no way to make it the default browser (which at this point I would not want anyway)

I did do a battery pull after the install.
    12-21-08 03:23 PM
    Keep in mind, it's not intended for use on the Storm yet, so it works half-assed. Perhaps once they build a version that supports the Storm, it'll be better.
    12-21-08 03:25 PM
    Yes i downloaded it but it doesnt work at all like i had hoped. It loads about the same as the default browser but i have the same problems with keyboard as you.

I will really enjoy FF once they get their browser going
    12-21-08 03:28 PM
    I think its crap too. No keyboard when you select the address bar. I went to some site and needed to input "storm" into a box. Everytime I clicked on the box, it would jump to a blank screen. I would hit enter and nothing would happen. BBbrowser
    S fine for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Meta420; 12-21-08 at 03:35 PM.
    12-21-08 03:32 PM
    Using .75 and just OTA downloaded opera browser. When you click a text box the keyboard does not come up. You select a text box, the blue outline shows up and it wont select it when you click. You have to click and monkey around with a box about 20 times before it actually selects it. I downloaded the OTA from this site, so not sure if it is made for the Storm but this Opera acts like it is not made for this phone.

There also appears to be no way to make it the default browser (which at this point I would not want anyway)

I did do a battery pull after the install.
    number 1 opera doesn't rexognize that there is a surepress screen so you dont actually push in the screen you just touch to highlight and such.

number 2 when your putting in some fields it flips to a new screen which the keyboard comes up on

if it does not flip over to that screen for the field then you have to manually bring the keyboard up.

Its a faster browser but not optimized for the storm at all.
    12-21-08 03:33 PM
    I'm totally with you guys..
    I heard people praise and bow to this thing called "Opera browser" for weeks and months before I even knew about the Storm.

Low and behold, I get the storm, install opera, and then it hits me.... this thing is crap. In fact, it's more than just crap. The opera browser may be fast, but it rarely ever loads a page correctly. It is total garbage and to this day I'm not sure why so many people praise it.

It may be that a lot of those individuals never had a chance to try out apple's safari browser on the iphone. Honestly that's the only logical explanation that I can come up with. As much as I hated my iphone 3g and don't regret getting rid of it, i always maintained that it had by far the best mobile browser in the world, bar none. It was extremely smooth and loaded 95% of websites out there without a hassle. The opera browser is lightyears away.

If a 100% perfect browser is a 10/10, then iphone's safari is an easy 8/10, while the opera browser is an even easier 2/10. Yes, it's that bad.

Case closed
    /thread
    kthxbye
    12-21-08 03:41 PM
    Protips for opera:

Double touch to select something (dont click)
    bb menu ---> show keyboard
    When it brings you to the white screen to input, input, then --> bb menu ---> accept.

Its hella fast, and works some places the bb browser dosent, but yes, its goofy, and no, its not designed for the storm. Wtb opera mobile, not mini.
    12-21-08 03:55 PM
    Opera mini for the storm might be crap, but Opera mobile for any touch screen phone is amazing and on par with Safari for the iphone.
    12-21-08 03:59 PM
    Sorry to disagree, s54, but I absolutely love opera-mini. In fact, I only use the BB default browser when I absolutely have to. And one of the main reasons is exactly what no aim said, all you have to do is highlight a link and not click it' to open. Also I, personally have no problem rendering web pages. Now granted, I do have to manually bring up the virtual qwerty, but I don't consider that even a slight problem.

I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. Nothing will ever be all things to all people.
    12-21-08 04:07 PM
    i downloaded the opera browser and i love it, ya you have to manually select the keyboard option but once you get used to doing it, it becomes natural and you can do it without skipping a beat. The pages load incredibly fast and once you get past clicking on a selected item it functions just like any other touch screen. The only complaint i have is that sometimes the browser pulls up the sight in a mobile version even when you unselect the box for mobile version. but imo i think it rocks.
    12-21-08 04:12 PM
    Can people not read?

Opera Mini was not made for the Storm.
    12-21-08 04:13 PM
    There is built in shortcut to open and close the keyboard at any time. Just swipe you finger up from the bottom of the screen to bring it up. Pressing the top of the keyboard and swiping down will lower it.

Hope that helps you opera experience.
    12-21-08 04:24 PM
    I dunno about you guys, but once you've acclimated to it, its fast as ****. I'm fast on it.
    12-21-08 04:31 PM
    It is not formatted for the Storm so the keyboard will not come up automatically when you need to type something like the BB Browser. At least not until they come up with a version for the Storm. The browser is built with the assumption that your keyboard is always open because you have a real key keyboard. So its something we have to deal with for now.
    12-21-08 04:42 PM
    Opera is the fastest and most versitile browser availible for any Windows PC or Windows Mobile smartphone. You will not find a better browser experience.

Unfortunatley, the version that you people have been installing on your 9530's was not written for the 9000 series Blackberries. It will not run properly on a Storm.
    This has been stated many times in this thread.
    There really is no reason to bash such a great product, when you know that it is not compatible with your hardware.
    12-21-08 05:13 PM
    I love how people instantly say that something is a piece of crap after using it for arguably 5 minutes. I am gonna go ahead and guess that every person in this thread that is complaining about Opera is a new Blackberry user. What they didnt think was that most of their problems are user error, not software error. Opera Mini is by far a much better browser than the BB one. When they actually make a version for the Storm, it will be even better.
    12-21-08 05:32 PM
    Man I thought it waz only me. Glad I'm not the only that had troubld with it

12-21-08 05:57 PM
    Im not impressed with it... but i dont hate it either.. pretty quick
    12-21-08 06:22 PM
    Are we talking about Opera mini or mobile?

12-21-08 08:39 PM
    Im not impressed with it... but i dont hate it either.. pretty quick
    Yep. I'll try it out when there's a Storm version. For the time being it's a bit too clunky.
    12-21-08 08:44 PM
    1. you arent using it right, you just gotta touch it not tap it
    2. it sucks to have to bring up the keyboard but oh well its not made for the storm
    3. its much faster than the native browser
    4. you are probably loading things in mobile version instead of normal
    5. i dont like the zoom functionality but its not so bad, it makes me want a trackball
    12-21-08 09:21 PM
    to bring up the keyboard in a text field (except for url bar depending on how you have it set up), all you do is click on the screen. with 75 you can click anywhere in the white text field. with 83 you have to click on the same horizontal line as where your typing.
    12-21-08 10:14 PM
    Opera is the fastest and most versitile browser availible for any Windows PC or Windows Mobile smartphone. You will not find a better browser experience.

Unfortunatley, the version that you people have been installing on your 9530's was not written for the 9000 series Blackberries. It will not run properly on a Storm.
    This has been stated many times in this thread.
    There really is no reason to bash such a great product, when you know that it is not compatible with your hardware.
    Sorry but Firefox is far superior to opera...i even used opera for a year before switching to FF
    12-21-08 10:22 PM
    YOU PHOOLS OPERA DOES NOT RECOGNIZE THE CLICK FEATURE ON THE STORM. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS DOUBLE TAP. OPERA IS ACTUALLY A VERY GOOD BROWSER!
    12-21-08 10:22 PM
    yeah - what HE said ^^. Like it, but you have to learn how to use it on the Storm.
    12-21-08 10:24 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD