Hey All , my girlfriend is in Jamaica and she is using her blackberry messanger to contact me. I was wondering if i get any additional charges for this ? or is blackberry messanger free even internationaly ?

Thanks
    12-20-08 07:35 PM
    Yes, it is free...
    12-20-08 07:39 PM
    The nicest long distance connect. Pin to any bb owner anywhere.
    Last edited by Chicklet; 12-20-08 at 08:29 PM.
    12-20-08 07:46 PM
    Bbm is free because it uses the internet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 08:16 PM
    bbm via wifi is free you mean?
    12-21-08 10:32 PM
    Free as in BBM uses the same data used by BIS or BES. So assuming your already paying for BlackBerry data then BBM isn't any additional fee.

12-22-08 07:48 AM
    I believe she is being charged international unless she has the BB international plan, about .0195/kb.

Correct me if I'm wrong... I know you aren't being charged though.
    12-22-08 07:52 AM
    What if we travel abroad and the provider automatically switch to the local one, would we get charged for sending / receiving BBM?

12-22-08 11:57 AM
    What if we travel abroad and the provider automatically switch to the local one, would we get charged for sending / receiving BBM?

ermm i would imagine so as your using their data network to pass data. You would be better off asking your network provider for info on this...i know for a fact that if i went to a different country and i used BB Messenger i would be charged as im not using my networks data network...i would be using another network ie the country that im in.
    12-22-08 03:47 PM
    When you use the BlackBerry messenger in your country you just have to pay traffic that you use locally. It doesn't matter whether the other person is sitting next to you or on the other side of the world.

If you however travel abroad and you use the BlackBerry messenger you have to pay roaming charges for all data that is sent, again no matter if the person is sitting next to you or somewhere back home. You can't switch to a local provider, you will use their network in roaming mode which means you always have to pay more.

Some other questions about the BlackBerry messenger are answered here: The BlackBerry Messenger: What is it and how does it work? | BlackBerry Productivity
    12-23-08 03:12 PM
    People are saying that this is free, but do you need to have the international data plan or will the $30 per month version work?
    02-14-09 11:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD