Hi All,

New Curve owner here. I just attempted to install the newest version 4.7 of Desktop Manager/Roxio Media Manager, and it crashed my computer. I'm up and running after a system restore and complete uninstallation of the software, but I'm still stumped. It was causing one of two things: a hard drive boot failure, or Vista (32 bit) would boot, but I had just a black screen on my desktop.

All my drivers are up-to-date, including my BIOS. My computer is barely two months old. Seriously weird.

Has anyone had this happen to them before that could provide me with some insight? TIA
    12-20-08 02:57 PM
    You don't want DM4.7 - it seems to have more bugs than a flophouse bed.

Unless you really need Poxio I suggest you download a more friendly non-media version from the RIM site, or use the one shipped on CDROM with your Curve. Sorry, I don't know which version the Curve users are backing but someone should jump in with the info soon enough.

Bold users have also found problems with 4.7 and most rolled back to 4.6, you probably need to do the same to whatever version is best for your Curve.
    12-20-08 03:27 PM
    You don't want DM4.7 - it seems to have more bugs than a flophouse bed.

Unless you really need Poxio I suggest you download a more friendly non-media version from the RIM site, or use the one shipped on CDROM with your Curve. Sorry, I don't know which version the Curve users are backing but someone should jump in with the info soon enough.

Bold users have also found problems with 4.7 and most rolled back to 4.6, you probably need to do the same to whatever version is best for your Curve.

I would really like to have Roxio (I like the ringtone/song/picture management).

One little update: I did just attempt to reinstall 4.7 without Roxio, and it seems to be working fine. I haven't tried synching yet, but at least it hasn't crashed my PC. That makes me wonder if there's something wrong with the version that carried the Roxio update; problem is, I'd like to have Roxio.

Any more tips would be great
    12-20-08 03:35 PM
    you should have just gotten dm 4.6
    12-20-08 03:40 PM
    I just downloaded DM 4.7, and had no issues, but to be honest, I really don't see much djfference between it and the 4.6 or 4.3 I had on before. Yeah, the screens look a little nicer than the old version, but they essentially do all the same thing- backup, restore, load/remove apps, and a media manager if you want one. I don't see a point to upgrading the DM.

I did see a nice improvement in the 4.5 device software upgrade though. That was totally worth the 40 minute wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 04:01 PM
    a hard drive boot failure, or Vista (32 bit) would boot, but I had just a black screen on my desktop.
    Seriously bad behaviour for any program, let alone the one that comes directly from BlackBerry.

Fortunately, it must be very rare, I have never heard that reported before.

The full package with Roxio is a large download, but I would be inclined to repeat the download, just in case the first one was corrupted in transfer.

I have Roxio installed with Windows Vista, it works as well as Roxio can be made to work.
    12-20-08 04:07 PM
    The roxio component crashed mine too. I went without it and just transferred media to the device in mass storage mode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 04:11 PM
    I have ALWAYS had problems with any Roxio program, including the RIM version(s) that come with their software, on both of our computers......
    I know this is not what you asked, but it's my experiences.
    12-20-08 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD