I am on the fence about upgrading. I would love to see all the issues on one thread.

Thanks
    12-19-08 08:52 PM
    Back button on browser taKes me all the way out to homescreen.
    Lost 600 ringtones in upgrade process soMehow.
    Get half white screen sometimes
    Did I mention I lost 600 ringtones... DAMN! Can I get them back? They were on the MC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 09:03 PM
    I've had **** with the .83 OS as well. Lots of headaches so far.
    12-19-08 09:05 PM
    my storm on .83 will refuse to stay on suretype on portrait mode. it keeps going to multi tap even though I change the options, and they stay on suretype.

sometimes, when I change it back, it will show suretype, but when i minimize it out of the screen and then bring it back up it will go to multi tap. really is pissing me off because the reason I got a motorola q and this now is because I hate multi tap
    12-19-08 09:09 PM
    voice dial does not work for me anymore.
    12-19-08 09:10 PM
    There's no reason to be on the fence. Its definitely worth upgrading to. Its definitely an improvement over .75 or .76

12-19-08 09:11 PM
    There's no reason to be on the fence. Its definitely worth upgrading to. Its definitely an improvement over .75 or .76
    Roger that. I've had nothing but positives.
    12-19-08 09:14 PM

I might agree if I could get it to work. And I'm not even a newbie. I've given up and settled for .76 again.
    12-19-08 09:18 PM

You think so cx? I just downgraded back to .75 because I had issues w the SureType not beingas responsive. Nothing but headaches on my end. I.e. No ad2p while watching movies on the train... :[

12-19-08 09:19 PM
    My upgrade went well, except now the phone acts as if it has a head set plugged into it!!!! anyone see or hear of this? I cannot hear any calls!
    12-19-08 09:20 PM
    I really like the new update.

So far so good. I've had it on about 30mins now, and I love it so far. Definitely fixed the lag issues I was having with the browser and the media player is faster. My camera has always worked great, so still no complaints there. The application center is a little different, but no real change in like or dislike.

I say this OS is a huge step in the right direction.

-No Problem hearing, making, phone calls.
    -Overall ALL Messaging Features work better. Typing is so much smoother.
    -Animations in menus work a WHOLE LOT BETTER!!
    Last edited by freebirds87; 12-19-08 at 09:30 PM.
    12-19-08 09:21 PM
    I agree it is definitely an upgrade over .76 I was running from Bell. Yes it does have its problems just like any unreleased/leaked product does but its positives out weigh its negatives in my mind at least.....hope to be singing the same tune tomorrow
    12-19-08 09:22 PM
    my storm on .83 will refuse to stay on suretype on portrait mode. it keeps going to multi tap even though I change the options, and they stay on suretype.
    Mine was doing this but seems ok, now.

It will not follow the setting for initial view when I open the phone, though.

There were a number of "settings" that didn't properly restore and had to be reset.
    12-19-08 09:22 PM

You think so cx? I just downgraded back to .75 because I had issues w the SureType not beingas responsive. Nothing but headaches on my end. I.e. No ad2p while watching movies on the train... :[

Mine has worked flawlessly. Typing on St right now

12-19-08 09:23 PM
    Personally I hav loved.83 way better battery life it seems a full day of heavy use and still half battery

12-19-08 09:24 PM

Really haven't notice any changes.. Good or bad... From .75

However my storm was running pretty smooth and didn't see any issues that most people have reported on here

12-19-08 09:27 PM
    Kristin, look at my profile and then look at posts. I've posted a few times lately the upgrade process. If not PM me tomorrow and we'll get it done.

I'm not saying its perfect, but its an improvement over the others.

12-19-08 09:30 PM
    The upgrade was worth it for me. My phone is much more responsive. The firmware still needs some work, but it's MUCH better. Applications memory usage is MUCH improved. Browser is better and faster. Transition from portrait to landscape is smooth and fast.

EDIT: The install was not easy, and I ended up losing my 3rd party apps (user error not the update).
    Last edited by pkcable; 12-19-08 at 09:34 PM.
    12-19-08 09:30 PM
    Kristin, look at my profile and then look at posts. I've posted a few times lately the upgrade process. If not PM me tomorrow and we'll get it done.

I've done the upgrade process multiple times before, both on my Storm and my two previous BBs. This one just isn't working. I think there's no hope. I made a thread about my issue(s).
    12-19-08 09:35 PM
    Overall, the phone is running smoother for me in comparison to 75. The applications open and close quicker, the free application memory is staying 10mb higher at all times, and the camera/browser/keyboard seems to be working faster.

A few issues though:

-Media player controls wouldn't come off the screen after use, which could only be remedied by a battery pull.
    -A few times in portrait, it went to multitap even though by default it's set for suretype.
    12-19-08 09:40 PM
    Ok, I upgraded to .83 and I can't say I see much of an improvement. Maybe I need to use it longer to see the difference. The camera is quicker which I really like.

Somethings are different that I don't particularly dislike, such as when the phone is locked, only the 'call, BB, return, end, and lock' buttons work and the screen would respond to those presses. It used to be when I press down on the screen the screen would turn on and if it was locked it would say that I had to unlock it first. Now when it's locked, pressing down on the screen does nothing. But I guess that's a good thing if I were to accidentally press it a lot. Perhaps to conserve battery. But then again the side buttons don't do anything either.

On the full menu the highlighted icon does not follow my finger anymore. Not even when I move all the extra icons so that only 16 show on my screen.

Also I had a battery drain issue when I had YouTube open, but I'm not sure if it's because of the app or the upgraded OS. It seems that if I had YouTube open it would constantly unlock my phone even though I had just manually locked it. The screen would light up like I just got a message or something, but nothing.

I'll think of more later.
    12-19-08 09:41 PM

I think I know CX's secret. He's that baby from the Etrade commercial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    12-19-08 09:45 PM
    Two issues I've run into is that every so often I lose my connection to the network. This seems to happen every other battery pull or so. The upper right hand corner will show I have a signal and 1XEV is showing but I won't be able to pull up any websites and weatherbug won't show the forecast. I then go into Manage Connection and toggle Mobile Network then everything comes back. This never happened to me prior to .83. And it seems the soft reset app doesn't work well with this build on my storm. Every time I use it I get the dreaded Media Card Connected message then the VZW black screen.
    12-19-08 09:50 PM
    I was having the same problem with the media card message and then the black Verizon screen. I seem to have fixed it by:

doing a battery pull
    while the phone was down pulled and reinstalled the media card
    reinserted the battery and rebooted
    once rebooted I uninstalled SoftReset and powered off with the power off button (could probably do another battery pull as well)
    re-powered
    Redownloaded and reinstalled SoftReset

When I tried SoftRest it worked properly

Hope this will help someone else
    12-19-08 10:54 PM
    the only negative i had was the clock somehow jumped ahead 7 or 8 hours.

a few battery pulls, a *22899 and that seemed to fix it.
    12-19-08 11:13 PM
131 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD