Why BlackBerry Storm Is "Hot": Verizon Subs Have No Choice

(alleyinsider.com) -- BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIMM) says its latest gadget, the BlackBerry Storm, is selling well, and is Verizon's (VZ) best selling phone. This despite many crappy reviews and anecdotal stories of mass returns. (Which Verizon denies.)

Wonder why people are rushing to buy a phone many people think is a hairball? Because Verizon subs basically have no choice.

Thanks in large part to the buzz Apple's (AAPL) superior iPhone has generated, consumers want to buy touchscreen smartphones this year and ditch their Motorola (MOT) Razrs.

And for those tens of millions of people on long-term Verizon contracts -- or Verizon family plans, or Verizon loyalists -- who want a smartphone but can't switch to AT&T (T) for the iPhone, the BlackBerry Storm is their least-bad option.

Check out the other smartphones and touchscreen phones Verizon is offering this Christmas. Most are either running no-name operating systems or Microsoft's (MSFT) clunky Windows Mobile. If you had these choices, you'd buy a Storm, too.
    Crappy Blackberry Storm Just Good Enough To Stop Verizon Subs From Switching To AT&T/iPhone (AAPL)

Research In Motion (RIMM) says its new BlackBerry Storm is hot. What that really means is the Verizon subs are absolutely desperate to buy a smartphone and finally have an option that isn't terrible.

Storm is Verizon Wireless' best-selling phone, and RIM can't make them fast enough to keep up with demand. More important: Some 75% of new Storm owners are new BlackBerry subscribers -- not old customers upgrading from a Curve or Pearl.

These are the exact same people -- not already loyal to the BlackBerry platform -- whom Apple would love to court, too. But it can't, because they're currently on Verizon. So Apple's only hope is that the Verizon smartphone option is so bad that loyal Verizon users swallow their pride and switch to AT&T. It appears the Storm may have cleared that low hurdle.

So some of the Storm's success is inevitably coming at Apple's (AAPL) expense. Probably not enough to make Apple miss its December quarter iPhone numbers -- especially as it fills Walmart's (WMT) inventory -- but perhaps enough to notice.

Have you passed up an iPhone to buy a Storm? Or vice-versa? Why? Let us know in comments, or get in touch via our anonymous tips form.
    BlackBerry Storm Selling Well, As Expected (RIMM)

We got some validation this afternoon for our Nov. 20 BlackBerry Storm review thesis, which was "RIM's BlackBerry Storm is no iPhone, but should sell well."

Indeed, RIM's (RIMM) new Storm is no iPhone -- a recent RBC/ChangeWave survey suggests only 33% of new Storm owners were "very satisfied" with their purchase, versus 77% of "very satisfied" original iPhone buyers.

But that hasn't stopped Verizon and RIM from selling a lot of Storms. How many? We don't know -- RIM doesn't disclose specific gadgets' unit sales. But it's big enough that it's "really quite surprising" to RIM -- which still can't build them fast enough to meet demand.

A few points from RIM's Q3 earnings call this afternoon:

Storm launch has been "exceptional," demand "even stronger than anticipated."
    Not able to meet demand for the product in North America even after replenishing supply regularly.

First day of Storm sales, Nov. 21, was the highest number of new subscriber signups in a single day in RIM's history.
    75% of sellthrough going to new BlackBerry customers -- versus upgrades -- in the U.S. The Bold, on the other hand, is the opposite -- mostly upgrades to existing BlackBerry subs.

Continues to be Verizon's (VZ) best-selling device almost a month after launch.

This is very good news for Verizon, which needs any help it can get competing with Apple's (AAPL) iPhone at AT&T (T). Moreover, BlackBerry Storm subscribers are required to sign Internet access plans, which will significantly increase the amount of money many spend on monthly service with Verizon.

It's not good news for Apple, which is also competing with T-Mobile's exclusive Google (GOOG) G1 this Christmas -- which, like the Storm, didn't exist last quarter.
    Last edited by wicked weasel; 12-19-08 at 10:37 AM.
    12-19-08 10:33 AM
    It's the lack of bias in news stories that I love.

Doesn't make it at all seem like it's free advertising for the competetor.
    12-19-08 10:42 AM
    I hate to say it, but for a good number of people, some of what these say is probably true...Some people just do want a VZW iPhone

Either way, I love my Storm.
    12-19-08 10:43 AM
    This guy Dan Frommer appears to be an Iphone fanboy and has some kind of loyalty to ATT. ATT has nothing on verizon in terms of superior network in my area. So yes if i really wanted an Iphone, my contract isn't stopping me for going out and getting it. ATT is more the deal breaker for me than anything else.
    12-19-08 10:45 AM
    Verizon customers could purchase a Touch Pro. Or the Omnia.

3 recent additions to their lineup. I don't see what the fuss is all about.
    12-19-08 10:45 AM
    My contract would not stop me from going to AT&T for an iPhone. I paid ETF's to Nextel to move to Cingular/AT&T. I paid ETF's to move to Verizon. I'm not afraid of breaking contracts and paying whatever it costs to get out of it. If I honestly thought the AT&T network was better than Verizon's, I'd maybe consider switching back for the iPhone. Unfortunately AT&T service pretty much blows. VZW's service kicks a$$ all the places where I use my phone (and that includes the midwest, the southeast, the northeast and 3 Hawaiian islands.) So the iPhone fanboys can keep their iPhones and their crappy AT&T GSM network. I'll stick with VZW's network and their buggy (getting less buggy all the time) Storm.
    12-19-08 11:06 AM
    Thanks in large part to the buzz Apple's (AAPL) superior iPhone has generated, consumers want to buy touchscreen smartphones this year and ditch their Motorola (MOT) Razrs.

This almost implies that the iPhone was the first touchscreen smartphone which couldn't be further from the truth.
    Treo's have been out since forever and they are all touchscreen devices.
    12-19-08 11:10 AM
    [QUOTE=pool_shark;1218709This almost implies that the iPhone was the first touchscreen smartphone which couldn't be further from the truth.
    Treo's have been out since forever and they are all touchscreen devices.[/QUOTE]

I had a touchscreen Treo on Verizon for more than 2 years before upgrading to the Storm.

Why didn't I buy an iPhone? AT&T's truly awful network coverage...especially their data network.

While I know that many on here who despise the "carrier war" threads will say that this really depends on your area. However, I'm in Washington DC; not PoDunk Idaho.

AT&T coverage stinks around here. Also, Verizon has a contract with the Metro system so Verizon phones work on the subways.
    12-19-08 11:27 AM
    a judge in ca is trying to get the 250 deactivation fee waived saying its illegal. trying to find link
    12-19-08 11:30 AM

This almost implies that the iPhone was the first touchscreen smartphone which couldn't be further from the truth.
    No it wasn't the first but it was the first that was marketed to the masses... All the other touch phones were marketed to the business minded folks and then when Apple made a killing with the iPhone others joined in...
    12-19-08 11:35 AM
    Thought this was about a hot battery my battery gets hot does yours

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 11:30 PM
    The reason I chose my Storm over the iPhone was simple: AT&T has more dropped calls than any other carrier I know of and it pisses me off when I loose calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 11:36 PM
    The storm is a great phone my old treo 700w was a dog in comparison. Soft resets on a daily basis with no software upgrades from palm. The bluetooth stack was a stack of siht and the email was junk. Storm granted soft resets on occasion but everything else is far and above a huge advance from what I had. As for Iphone it's great but dosnt do what i need it to do. The storm is kind of in the middle between the Iphone and a traditional BB blending the best of both worlds. As time passes the buggs will be eliminated and the small annoyances will be a thing of the past. I for one am sick of the battle of the phones stuff. Enjoy your phone if you have a storm or iphone just enjoy them end of story.

Abigfish
    12-19-08 11:44 PM

well when given the choice between iphone and treo, you can have your treo, the iphone is the most inventive phone since the original blackberry. its just a great piece of equipment, it might not meet everyones needs. but apple has a nice and a reputation for building solid products. not to mention the whole "apple boom" that has occured over the passed 5 years. Most of my friends that could afford them opt for an apple computer, and seeing that the iphone was built to be a great phone as well as 100% compatibility for macs unlike other great smartphones. And being that the iphone is a touch screen, offers a great internet capabilities as well as everything you need in a phone and more. So yes, for the majority of people, the iphone is superior, and although there are other people out there with other needs that opt for blackberries like us. the majority of people love the iphone
    12-20-08 12:12 AM
    Had the touch screen bug before Iphone came along. I paid out the *** for Moto A1200 (aka Ming) from overseas unlocked, ran on ATT network until I moved and ATT service turned to crap. What a cool little phone (the cool stuff rarely makes it here). Switched to VZW and ended up with Razr2. OK phone but is just that. Have been dreaming of the day a device like the Storm would surface. I have to say the Storm is exceeding my expectations. Thats what makes it hot.
    12-20-08 12:18 AM
    My 2 cents. I switch from TMO with a Windows Mobile MDA that I had for years for the Storm. The iPhone is deficient for my use as:

1) no tethering
    2) no A2DP
    3) can get a spare battery
    4) multitasking

I'm sure the iPhone is great for many. The Storm fits my needs better. There are some rough edges but nowhere near as many as the TMO MDA had at the beginning. Storm apps are still meager, but that will get fixed.

To those who insist on saying one phone or another is the best, stop being ideological and realize that there are many different users with differing needs and tastes.
    12-20-08 12:52 AM
    Have had the Treo (700W) and the Voyager. I think touchscreen is the way to go for me. I definitely looked at the iPhone. Cancelling my contract is not nor ever has been a deterrent. AT&T is a deterrent. iPhone, great phone, but didn't really fit my needs. The Storm, pretty much fills it. Bugs.... not really if you had the 700W. Touch screen bothering you, well the Voyager I really liked, but not a smart phone and the touchscreen, well, I sure was happy that it had a keyboard as well.
    I just get tired of people bagging on the Storm for reasons that, well, are either unfounded, ignorance or mechanical issue which could be replaced. It just doesn't seem to be as bad (in my world) as everybody makes out to be in some of these articles.
    12-20-08 12:59 AM
    I have to say, I think he has a point. I know I choose by Storm because my Krazr was on its last wheels, and my sister had just got a Curve. Since my entire family is on Verizon and they refuse to switch, it was between this or hte Omnia.

And I didn't even know about the Omnia until after.
    12-20-08 01:00 AM
    I won't lie. I would rather have an iPhone over a Storm, but AT&T's network sucks. With the recent OS releases from RIM, I am pretty happy with the Storm though. The doom and gloom stories aren't so widespread these days, and you just know that the Storm is going to get better and better. 2-3 more OS updates, and this thing will be golden.
    12-20-08 01:05 AM
    My first touch screen phone was an HP ipaq-4 years ago. It worked well- I then switched to an Treo 700p (I had the w- but I hate windows mobile) PLUS the with the P was able to use PDA reach- which allowed me to tether my TREO without having to pay the service charge. Then VZW got smart and assumed anyone using over a certain bandwidth was tethering and started dishing out extra fees.

I love my Storm. I love my VZW- and I would never leave (unless they started having crappy service) but for now- no one can hold a candle to VZW's network. Ask anyone on AT&T's network- they hate it. The only reason AT&T is doing well is BECAUSE of the iPhone. Can you imagine what VZW would have been like if Apple went with VZW as their carrier for the iPhone?
    12-20-08 01:16 AM
    Can you imagine what VZW would have been like if Apple went with VZW as their carrier for the iPhone?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Apple go to Verizon first and Verizon turned them down because Apple wanted to sell the phone without the subsidy? I believe they also were the first network approached for the G1 as well. All in all I'm loving my Storm and am so happy Verizon did not pass up another sweet phone.
    12-20-08 01:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD