Just curious to know what programs do you use often on your BB. I also heard there is something called Blackberry Unite! and wondering if anyone uses it or not? I read on the BB site that we're able to edit grades. I guess this is if you are using programs such as Blackboard? Share a link or info. with the rest of us!

- NYG
    Last edited by NYGriego74; 12-18-08 at 05:45 PM.
    12-18-08 03:41 PM
    I usually avoid using my Curve for school stuff, most of my teaching apps are on the school computer network, although I am curious about Blackberry Unite
    12-18-08 05:58 PM
    Education Introduction Page

BlackBerry - Smartphones for Students, Teachers & Administrators in Higher Education

BB Unite! Info. Link

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Unite!

Faculty
    With award-winning BlackBerry� technology that works seamlessly with your institution’s email and Wi-Fi� networks, you have the power of instant connectivity on your side.

Collaborate with colleagues, talk to publishers, research online and manage your appointments, all from just about anywhere. Imagine the possibilities:

Search for and access journal articles while at a conference
    Update student records as you grade papers at a caf�
    Send a mass email to an entire class without heading back to your office
    Enter new appointments on the spot so you’re never double-booked
    Send a voice note to your TA while on the move
    BlackBerry smartphones are intuitive, reliable and easy to use. Millions of people prefer the BlackBerry wireless experience over the competition because it allows them to focus on their work and not on operating technology.

Wirelessly grading papers grabbed my attention (hence why I'm wondering if they are referring to Blackboard-like websites).

Here's more detail on BB Unite!

Millions of people around the world have come to love the BlackBerry� solution – it’s the ultimate tool to keep you connected while you’re on the go. And now you can bring the benefits of the BlackBerry solution home or to your office – for free!

BlackBerry� Unite! ™ software helps you coordinate and keep in touch with your family and provides access to files on your home computer while you’re out. Or, use it in your small office to coordinate and collaborate with coworkers and keep business running smoothly. With BlackBerry Unite! software, you can stay connected to the people that matter most – while still enjoying all the great features BlackBerry� smartphones have to offer!

It’s the complete wireless solution for your home or small office.

Demo Link:
    101 Demonstrator for BlackBerry Unite!.
    Last edited by NYGriego74; 12-18-08 at 06:15 PM.
    12-18-08 06:05 PM
    Thought I would post this laughs..

It's an link to a "chalkboard theme" for most BB's

GemBlock : Chalk 2D Zen Theme

Enjoy!
    12-18-08 07:46 PM
    I'm currently in my undergrad and use a BB. I hope one day to earn my Masters and then PhD and become a professional historian and professor of History.
    12-18-08 09:43 PM
    I have my MS in Elem. Edu. And going for my Ed.D. some day. I currently teach middle school history.

Have you ran across a helpful app?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 09:48 PM
    I haven't found a good 3rd party application yet, only because I've been more than thrilled and helped by the default apps that come on my Curve. The calender, memopad, and task manager are amazing as well as having my university, personal email accounts and facebook all help out. i'm looking for a student/professor geared application, though.
    12-18-08 10:56 PM
    Apparently BB Unite! Is the answer. I'm curiously waiting for a response from one of its users.

12-18-08 11:00 PM
    I am pursing a master's degree in reading education and I have BA in elementary education. I teach reading to K 1st and 2nd grade students

12-19-08 07:16 AM
    im chasing down my undergrad in social science hope to teach government in a couple of years then off to law school, who gets their school email on their blackberry, i was wondering if you have to upgrade to bes for that?
    12-19-08 07:21 AM
    Apparently BB Unite! Is the answer. I'm curiously waiting for a response from one of its users.

BB Unite! seems to be an option for us all. You can set it up as your own program or something for the whole department.

School email might need permission from a tech. Then again, there's always forwarding.

Last edited by NYGriego74; 12-19-08 at 04:13 PM.
    12-19-08 07:35 AM
    Ed-Tech Partner Press Releases - Teachers Take Mobile Control of Classroom Computers With Upgrade to Vision from GenevaLogic, a Netop Company

Tue, Sep 16, 2008 Send Print Reprints RSS

Teachers Take Mobile Control of Classroom Computers With Upgrade to Vision from GenevaLogic, a Netop Company
    Classroom Management Software Allows Control of Computers From Any Wireless PDA, Smartphone

Primary Topic Channel: Business news

PORTLAND, Ore., & COPENHAGEN, Denmark – Sept. 16, 2008 – GenevaLogic, a Netop company, today announced the newest upgrades to its Vision� classroom management software with the introduction of version 6.8 and Vision@Hand, a cutting-edge application that gives teachers the capability of controlling classroom computers from their PDAs, smartphones or other wireless mobile devices. As part of GenevaLogic’s continued commitment to the development of its classroom management software, version 6.8 of Vision includes improved usability, reliability and connectivity and even simpler installation and set-up than ever before.

Now the world’s largest provider of classroom management software, the company developed the new wireless, remote capability in Vision@Hand based on feedback from its tech-savvy education customers. In fact, in a survey of teachers conducted in late 2007, 92 percent said that using Vision from a mobile device would improve the way they teach with technology. GenevaLogic quickly went to work developing this innovative addition to Vision – a feature that no other classroom management software offers today.

“We have always been committed to responding to educators’ feedback and keeping Vision on the cutting edge of technology, and now we are the first company to offer teachers mobile control of classroom computers,” said Kirk Greiner, executive vice president, Netop Solutions A/S, and former CEO of GenevaLogic. “Vision@Hand takes the technology that teachers already have at their fingertips – their PDAs and smartphones – and combines it with Vision to put classroom computer management in their hands, unleashing them from the restraints of their desks or computer workstations.”

Using their iPhone, BlackBerry, Palm or any wireless mobile device with a Web browser, teachers who are working with individual students and want to share how they have solved a complex problem with the entire class can use Vision@Hand to do that on the spot, without having to leave a student’s side and walk back to their own desk. Or a teacher can get the entire class’ attention during important discussions and lessons from anywhere in the room by using their PDA to blank student computer screens and lock keyboards and mice.

Teachers with Surf�Lock, Vision’s popular plug-in for managing student Web browsing, can also use Vision@Hand to control student Internet access during class time. They can instantly block access to the Internet or allow students to surf with the touch of a button.

“As the world leader in classroom management software, Netop offers schools the premier solutions for maximizing the use of technology to support teaching and learning,” said Kurt Bager, CEO, Netop Solutions A/S. “Following our June 2008 acquisition of GenevaLogic, even more expertise and resources are available to invest in creating the next generation of tools for teaching with technology.”

Vision6 is the number one choice of teachers for classroom and computer lab management. With Vision, the teacher has complete control over student computers from an easy-to-use console that shows each screen. Teachers can demonstrate lessons directly on student computer screens, supervise computer use, monitor online activity and lock keyboards and mice during lessons to focus student attention. With the 2007 launch of the Vision Teach-Pad, Vision became the first classroom management software to offer teachers push-button control of all classroom computers. Vision@Hand extends that capability to mobile devices so teachers can have effective control of student computers from anywhere in the classroom.

Vision@Hand is a free extension available now in beta form to all Vision6 customers. Customers must have version 6.7 or newer of Vision installed and have access to a wireless network in their classroom from their mobile device to use Vision@Hand. Version 6.8 of Vision is now available as a free upgrade to existing U.S. Vision customers using version 6.5 or higher. Worldwide availability of version 6.8 in English and German begins Oct. 1.

Under U.S. education pricing, new licenses of Vision6 are available for $35 per computer with a 10-computer minimum. A classroom of up to 30 computers may be equipped with a complete Vision Class Kit for $999. Site and district discounts are available from the company and its reseller partners.

A free 30-day evaluation copy of Vision6 is available for download at GenevaLogic: The Leader in Classroom Management Software. Complete information about GenevaLogic’s classroom management software solutions and purchasing options is available at GenevaLogic: The Leader in Classroom Management Software.

About Netop Solutions A/S

Netop Solutions A/S, formerly known as Danware A/S, develops and markets software solutions that enable swift, secure and seamless transfer of screens, sound and data between two or more computers. The company has three business areas: Netop Desktop Management, Netop Education and Netop Live. The core Desktop Management product, NetOp Remote Control, enables remote control of one or more computers. The Netop Education business consists of Netop and Vision software solutions for computer-based classroom teaching. Netop Live consists of modern solutions for unified communication and collaboration and includes products like Web, video and audio conferencing; secure chat; one-button click to talk; and desktop and file sharing. Netop has subsidiaries in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany and Switzerland, and the Netop solutions are sold in more than 80 countries. Netop Solutions A/S shares are listed on the Copenhagen Stock Exchange and are part of the SmallCap+ index. For further information, please see NetOp International - Netop (Danware).

For more information, press only:

Wendy Lienhart, L. Wolfe Communications, 630-920-0182, [email protected]

Lisa Wolfe, L. Wolfe Communications, 773-227-1049, [email protected]

�2008 Netop Solutions A/S. GenevaLogic, Vision, App-Control, Surf-Lock, Protect-On, Pointer, Plan-It, On-Sight, Print-Limit, Print-Limit Pro and Classroom Management are trademarks of Danware A/S. All other trademarks and registered trademarks used in this document are the property of their respective companies

GenevaLogic, a Netop company, today announced the newest upgrades to its Vision� classroom management software with the introduction of version 6.8 and Vision@Hand, a cutting-edge application that gives teachers the capability of controlling classroom computers from their PDAs, smartphones or other wireless mobile devices. As part of GenevaLogic’s continued commitment to the development of its classroom management software, version 6.8 of Vision includes improved usability, reliability and connectivity and even simpler installation and set-up than ever before.

On the second page of this article, there is a sign up area for you to become a member and view the rest of the article.
    Last edited by NYGriego74; 12-19-08 at 06:34 PM.
    12-19-08 06:15 PM
    Gradebook Software - GradeSpeed.NET™

This has a BB friendly grading application.

PDA Applications - Schoolmaster Student Information Systems

this site offers many kinds of applications.

Teacher Pro for Blackberry 2.0
    Teacher Pro for Blackberry on PocketGear

Teacher Pro is a Simple Teacher's Agenda that allows you to track all kinds of classes and students information.
    You will be able to define your student classes and organize your students information, including personal data, which helps you to track and remember each student individually with their personal and study related details.

You can also use this software to define your Subjects and Period, schedule your meetings, and many more! Any number of class profile, period and student details is added with user's choice. Notes are provided separately, which gives more storage for the additional information.

This powerful Teacher Pro will keep tracks more than one class at a time, in fact as many as you like.

Professionally and newly designed user-interface that speeds up Data Entry and Easy Viewing.

Key Features are :
    1. Simple and Easy to use.
    2. Easy data entry.
    3. Edit and Delete options are provided.
    4. User can all entry at any time.
    5. Search by name and ID is provided.
    6. Ascending and descending order sorting.
    7. All data can be retrieved at any point of time.
    8. Classes, Period and Student details can be stored

All the detail and historical information is right in your hand. Remember it's for you!!!!!

And rest you feel by your self...

Compatibility List

BlackBerry 5790
    BlackBerry 5810
    BlackBerry 6210
    BlackBerry 6230
    BlackBerry 6280
    BlackBerry 6510
    BlackBerry 6710
    BlackBerry 6750
    BlackBerry 7100g
    BlackBerry 7100i
    BlackBerry 7100r
    BlackBerry 7100t
    BlackBerry 7100v
    BlackBerry 7100x
    BlackBerry 7105t
    BlackBerry 7130c
    BlackBerry 7130e
    BlackBerry 7130g
    BlackBerry 7130v
    BlackBerry 7210
    BlackBerry 7230
    BlackBerry 7250
    BlackBerry 7270
    BlackBerry 7280
    BlackBerry 7290
    BlackBerry 7510
    BlackBerry 7520
    BlackBerry 7730
    BlackBerry 7750
    BlackBerry 7780
    BlackBerry 8100 Pearl
    BlackBerry 8300 Curve

---------------------------------

Here's a book on how to use cell phones in the classroom with students

Toys to Tools: Connecting Student Cell Phones to Education

by Elizabeth Kolb
    Product Code: toytul
    240 pages
    ISTE, 2008
    ISBN 978-1-56484-247-3

Audience: K–12 educators, technology coordinators, school and district administrators, teacher educators
    Last edited by NYGriego74; 12-20-08 at 03:54 PM.
    12-19-08 06:32 PM
    Fellow Crackberry Educators, I've read up on BB Unite! today. Even thought it looks great, there are some things I find pointless (like if you shut down your computer, you will NOT get e-mail from the account(s) until you turn that computer on again, also there seems to be an "instant" IT lock that occurs after a period of time where it will cease certain functions of the phone).

I think I'll just use it as I've been doing and just search for programs to help me streamline everything in and out the classroom.
    12-20-08 02:34 PM
    I've thought about Unite, but, I'm a bit skeptical of the IT policy. By the way, I have a MA in Technology Education and and MA in Educational Leadership. I'm currently a middle school student advisor. Here's a program you might find interesting.

"bluCTRL, is an application that turns your BlackBerry into a full wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. With bluCTRL, you can now conduct powerpoint presentations, surf the web, and control your media center from your BlackBerry. This "in your pocket" convenience works with any Bluetooth enabled laptop or PC, giving you the ability to control multiple machines from a single device."

bluCTRL wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
    12-22-08 06:01 PM
    im chasing down my undergrad in social science hope to teach government in a couple of years then off to law school, who gets their school email on their blackberry, i was wondering if you have to upgrade to bes for that?
    I get my university email on my curve. As long as you have BIS, you're good to go.
    12-22-08 06:37 PM
    I've thought about Unite, but, I'm a bit skeptical of the IT policy. By the way, I have a MA in Technology Education and and MA in Educational Leadership. I'm currently a middle school student advisor. Here's a program you might find interesting.

"bluCTRL, is an application that turns your BlackBerry into a full wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. With bluCTRL, you can now conduct powerpoint presentations, surf the web, and control your media center from your BlackBerry. This "in your pocket" convenience works with any Bluetooth enabled laptop or PC, giving you the ability to control multiple machines from a single device."

bluCTRL wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

Very cool, sounds like it would go nice with my Smart Board.
    12-22-08 07:21 PM
    I get my university email on my curve. As long as you have BIS, you're good to go.
    how did you manage that, ive tried to get my university e-mail also but have had no luck. i have to get it forwarded to another e-mail address
    12-22-08 11:17 PM
    how did you manage that, ive tried to get my university e-mail also but have had no luck. i have to get it forwarded to another e-mail address
    Did you ask one of the computer guys on campus? Try one of them, especially if you see some BB brethren :-D
    12-27-08 05:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD