I was listening to some music that i have on my storm, and on my regular mp3 player back to back, to listen to the quality differences.

Aside from having low volume issues, i'm hearing a problem.

If i have the audio cranked all the way up on my storm, my music seems to almost pulse up and down, almost as if a car stereo that had 5000 watts of power, but only had one car battery running it. When listening through my headphones, as the bass hits and hits, the sound seems to lower as if it did not have enough power to keep it running smooth.

It sounds like its pulsing, not a huge amount, but its enough to be annoying.

I have tried different albums, and different headphones.

I do not get the same effect with the same audio files, played off of my rio mp3 player.

I'm going to do some more experimenting though, maybe try different memory cards on the storm.

If anybody has the time, could you do a little back and forth listening to the same track on your storm and a reg mp3 player or you laptop for that matter.

This might be a deal breaker for me if its not fixed from a firmware fix before my 30day limit.

Thanks..
    12-18-08 12:12 PM
    Bueller, Bueller, Bueller?

12-18-08 07:42 PM
    I noticed that too
    12-18-08 08:05 PM
    I had this problem the other day when using flycast. I just turned the volume down and my cars stereo up. Its not really a problem with me because using headphones at max. would kill my ears. If anyone wants to see this issue I suggest listening to something with a strong base with lyrics over it.
    12-18-08 08:22 PM
    TOTALLY, was waiting for someone else to hear this. When I hook the storm up to my car stereo, I need to turn the storm volume up all the way. The music does pulse, seems to come in and out ... very crappy.

Another thing since we are talking about sound quality on the storm... Has anyone had issues with the storm maintaining the correct volume during track changes? I will be listening to a song at one level, then the song ends, and the new song is at a different volume level usually significantly lower volume.

Anyone see this happen? I'm on OS .76 .
    12-18-08 08:29 PM
    Hmm...haven't noticed it yet but I've been using mostly my Motorola HT820 via A2DP bluetooth.
    12-18-08 08:40 PM
    I noticed this yesterday and today when listening to flycast over the sound system in my truck. I was wondering if it was a bug in flycast, or with the storm itself. Kind of annoying, but tolerable for now. I hope it can be fixed with an OS upgrade.
    12-18-08 08:47 PM
    im glad im not the only one.

I thought i was going crazzy. I have a pair of $180 ultimate ears coming for christmas, and the sound pulsing is going to pissss me off with such high quality earphones...

im praying that this issue is addressed with the next update, hopefully before my 30 day limit....
    12-18-08 10:13 PM
    have not noticed the audio levels changing when switching between tracks.

hmmmm
    12-18-08 10:15 PM
    happened to me twice....soft reset seemed to have made it go away
    12-18-08 11:13 PM
    I also have the problem with my 8330 curve through my truck radio. Also noticed the diff between the ipod and curve so its not only the storm pulsing. Just my findings. Its annoying but that's not what I got my bb for its just an added advantage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 07:48 AM
    I've noticed this, too...
    I think it's an issue with the Storm not being able to "push" enough power through the jack. What I believe is happening is that, when there's a lot of sound in a particular section of a song, the audio will go down...

almost like a bandwidth issue, but not really... Impedance, or something...

I've been meaning to dig out my old boostaroo headphone amp and see what's what...

or maybe a new one:
    http //www boostaroo com/ - Headphone Amplifier, Headphone Amp, Audio Amplifier, and Audio Splitter by Boostaroo

I'm not surprised that you'd notice this on some high-end Shures or Ultimate Ears, as I do notice it on my big mid-range Sennheisers and in my car, but not my low-end cans (or just regular ear-buds for that matter).
    12-19-08 09:20 AM
    Ok I know what this, but you're not going to like it.

Some music players (whether you're talking about car stereos or portable mp3 players) have an option to limit the wattage output, or some other such stupidity. The option is there to limit the amount of power that emits to the speakers, and therefore not blow out your stock speakers or headphones (or ear drums for that matter lol). Which is precisely why you hear this "throbbing" or "fading" effect more apparently on songs with a heavy bass line. When the bass note hits, the wattage spikes, and the automated "limiting" feature kicks in and lowers the volume in order to provide protection against overload.

The problem WE as BB users face is that with most applications of this technology there's a way to disable the feature, but with our Storms you can't turn it off. At least I haven't been able to find the correct options menu that let's you disable it.

Which is of course why I came to the forums this morning and did a search for this problem. I was hoping that someone else had brought it up and someone else might have found where to turn that option off.

I'm wondering if it's a feature built into the OS itself, or into the BB Media Player. If it's the media player, it would stand to reason that you could install a 3rd party media player that either a. didn't have that "feature", or b. had an option to disable it.

If it's just something built into the OS.... we'll have to hope that a future update either adds an option to disable that, or just completely removes it.

I mean come on, there's that stupid warning message in there about hurting your ears when you raise the volume past a certain level, and then they have the wattage limiting feature on top of that?

I'm hoping that there's either a fix or workaround for this, because other than this one issue, the sound quality of the BB is just as good as my 20Gig mp3 player. So I was planning on purchasing a 16Gig microSDHC card for my Storm, and using it as my mp3 player and phone.

But to be honest, if there's no way to get around this crap feature, I'm not going to waste my money on a bigger memory card. Cause it just ruins the music.

So if anyone has found a way to resolve this, please let us know.
    02-07-09 11:47 AM
    Shameless bump for resolution of this issue plox! <3
    02-07-09 12:15 PM
    plox?

I've mostly overcome this problem with the headphone amp that i mentioned in my post above.

the trick is that, instead of cranking the volume all the way up on the 'berry, you connect the amp and only need to put the 'berry volume up to 1/4 or 1/2, thereby (kind of) lessening the effect of what gethree described...

not a free solution, but a solution nonetheless...

good luck!
    02-07-09 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD