Here is a list of things I want to see Apple add to the iPhone ASAP. Please feel free to add to this list in hopes Apple actually cares about improving one of th best mobile devices available on the market.

I also realize much of this won't happen, but I can Wish. (Wishlist, get it?)

1) Landscape Keyboard for SMS and E-Mail WITH the option to turn it off in settings - I don't see whey they don't include at least the option to do it. I mean, some people don't want/need it and thats fine, but I know a lot who do want it, so giving us the option to do it would be great, and NOT crazy hard for programmers to do.

2) Turn-by-turn GPS voice directions - Put the iPhone on par with using a TomTom or Garmin GPS system, so I can get car directions without holding my phone in my face and crashing my car. I don't care if it costs money and it's a separate app, get it done Apple.

3) New SMS options - allow multiple recipients, allow sms forwarding, ect. (so when I wish my friends a happy X-Mas/New Year/4th of July I don't need to type a different message to each one of them)

4) Cut/Copy/Paste text - Palms can do it. Enough said.

5) Wireless sync with iTunes - Even if you had to be on the same network as your home computer, ala Remote app, at least I wouldn't have to plug in the Phone, and since the data transfer would be comepletely WiFi, AT&T can't complain

6) Notes sync - You promised it Steve!!!! I saw the presentation!!!!

7) Ability to sign into your account in the YouTube app allowing favorites and subscriptions to pop up, while also adding the ability to use comments.

8) Push notifications for IM - Look, my SMS's get pushed to me, let my IM's do it to. I don't care how you do that either, but I pay over $100 a month for 3G iPhone coverage, and I don't see why AT&T needs to be dumb about this. I understand bandwidth issues with to much video/podcasting over the network, but push notifications wont strain anything.

9) Customizable tones for texting/alarms - The factory ones FAIL, miserably. Waking up to these alarms is like being skinned alive VIA irritating music

10) Make it so a lot of new and old features have yes/no options in settings - I mean, settings is an entire button on the device, and with apps it is a huge list now, and there are almost NO actual setting choices available, WHY? Rather then add and remove things (ex. Google bar, other little things here and there getting added/removed) give US the option to keep or remove these new features. Don't want a landscape keyboard in SMS? Hit No. Wow, that was easy.

There you have it. I hope I covered a lot of the things us iPhone users would like to see from our device. Please add your own insight. Thanks.
    12-18-08 11:26 AM
    1- Landscape to portrait and back was the biggest reason the safari browser was crashing, so why would they want the same issues with sms and email?

2- Turn by turn can come soon, hasn't because google/apple don't have the agreements set to do this with the ones google is licensing from.

3- multiple recipients are allowed and forwarding would be nice.

4- Copy&Paste can be done through jailbreaking

5- Wireless sync is done with MobileMe

6- Apps in app store can do this, therefore he didn't lie, technically, lol.

7- Not necessary IMO

8- This is the reason I now have a Bold (can be done jailbreaking as well)

9- Can be done by jailbreaking

10- Asking for a lot, yet wanting stability.

12-18-08 06:42 PM
    themes without jailbreaking.

ATTENTION MY 500TH POST! I'M SO HAPPY!
    12-18-08 07:35 PM
    No MMS and no SMS forwarding are the 2 dealbreakers for me. If the iPhone had those things, it would suit my wants/needs in a device better than a BB. But I'm pretty confident in saying that won't happen since people have been clamoring for that stuff since day 1 and it has yet to be seen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 01:48 AM
    Themes without jailbreaking sounds great!

Look, these Jailbroken phones have a lot of this stuff, and I heard they run smoothly, so Apple just needs to spend more time on their mobile OS X platform and get it running more stable.

I don't see how a landscape to portrait keyboard will make SMS and E-mail unstable, these are simple programs, not resource intense safari. Plus, my safari crashes have nothing to do with the landscape to portrait transition and everything to do with the phone just freezing when it should be loading a page.
    12-19-08 09:38 AM
    Themes without jailbreaking sounds great!

Look, these Jailbroken phones have a lot of this stuff, and I heard they run smoothly, so Apple just needs to spend more time on their mobile OS X platform and get it running more stable.

I don't see how a landscape to portrait keyboard will make SMS and E-mail unstable, these are simple programs, not resource intense safari. Plus, my safari crashes have nothing to do with the landscape to portrait transition and everything to do with the phone just freezing when it should be loading a page.
    It actually does.... I didn't say all the issues with the crashes, but some of it does have to do with it. These "simple' program functions are being done on jailbroken phones and guess what happened when I did it to my iPhone, it crashed! It's not as easy as it looks, especially for Apple.

Even with mms, the sidekick didn't have it for some time now and recently got it. RIM didn't have mms until a few phones ago. Heck, Sprint as a company doesn't.
    12-19-08 02:32 PM
    Here is a list of things I want to see Apple add to the iPhone ASAP. Please feel free to add to this list in hopes Apple actually cares about improving one of th best mobile devices available on the market.

I also realize much of this won't happen, but I can Wish. (Wishlist, get it?)

1) Landscape Keyboard for SMS and E-Mail WITH the option to turn it off in settings - I don't see whey they don't include at least the option to do it. I mean, some people don't want/need it and thats fine, but I know a lot who do want it, so giving us the option to do it would be great, and NOT crazy hard for programmers to do.

2) Turn-by-turn GPS voice directions - Put the iPhone on par with using a TomTom or Garmin GPS system, so I can get car directions without holding my phone in my face and crashing my car. I don't care if it costs money and it's a separate app, get it done Apple.

3) New SMS options - allow multiple recipients, allow sms forwarding, ect. (so when I wish my friends a happy X-Mas/New Year/4th of July I don't need to type a different message to each one of them)

4) Cut/Copy/Paste text - Palms can do it. Enough said.

5) Wireless sync with iTunes - Even if you had to be on the same network as your home computer, ala Remote app, at least I wouldn't have to plug in the Phone, and since the data transfer would be comepletely WiFi, AT&T can't complain

6) Notes sync - You promised it Steve!!!! I saw the presentation!!!!

7) Ability to sign into your account in the YouTube app allowing favorites and subscriptions to pop up, while also adding the ability to use comments.

8) Push notifications for IM - Look, my SMS's get pushed to me, let my IM's do it to. I don't care how you do that either, but I pay over $100 a month for 3G iPhone coverage, and I don't see why AT&T needs to be dumb about this. I understand bandwidth issues with to much video/podcasting over the network, but push notifications wont strain anything.

9) Customizable tones for texting/alarms - The factory ones FAIL, miserably. Waking up to these alarms is like being skinned alive VIA irritating music

10) Make it so a lot of new and old features have yes/no options in settings - I mean, settings is an entire button on the device, and with apps it is a huge list now, and there are almost NO actual setting choices available, WHY? Rather then add and remove things (ex. Google bar, other little things here and there getting added/removed) give US the option to keep or remove these new features. Don't want a landscape keyboard in SMS? Hit No. Wow, that was easy.

There you have it. I hope I covered a lot of the things us iPhone users would like to see from our device. Please add your own insight. Thanks.
    Well, if you want most of this stuff, all you have to do is jailbreak your iPhone.

And by the way, #8 is coming soon. They just haven't finish polishing it up. Hopefully we'll get it next month. In the mean time, just jailbreak you'll iPhone and download Backgrounder from Cydia...works the exact same way like Push Notifications is going to work.
    12-19-08 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD