Now that many of you have had Storms for a couple of weeks, I'm curious how you are doing with text editing, i.e. when you misspell a word or want to add a word to text you've already typed, how easy is it to 'hover' your finger over the spot until the 'box' appears and then click where you wnat to begin inserting new text.

This is the one area of the Storm that I am worried about regarding regular use, especially with no trackball or d-pad.

Has it been a pain, is it simple, or somewhere in between?
    12-18-08 11:13 AM
    In between. I click in the general area and hover until the square box appears then move. The only issue is it's not a 1:1 movement with your finger so if you don't leave enough space you can fall short of where you want to move and have to pick your finger up and hover again.

Now that I'm used to it, I'm perfectly ok with it.
    12-18-08 11:17 AM
    I agree with you on this. I do have what some would consider to be "chubby" fingers and I basically backspace to the word and type all over again.

I know that takes time, but no more time than me trying to hover over the exact spot with my overweight fingers.

This is the ONLY thing I dislike about this phone. The sure-type (I'm new to BB) makes my texting/e-mailing unbelievably fast! Perhaps the .83 will make an arrow back key that will make this easier to do...
    i find some difficulty in say i misspelled one letter and need to get to that letter in a word. its hard to click exactly in between which 2 letters i need
    Horrible duh lol.

This system of selecting text/copying, blows. Oh well love my storm (except when i use a non-bb oem charger to charge it, while its charging my screen often locks up and I am unable to navigate on it having to do a battery pull)
    12-18-08 11:18 AM
    i find some difficulty in say i misspelled one letter and need to get to that letter in a word. its hard to click exactly in between which 2 letters i need
    Yeah I have a hard time with that too. Wish there were arrow keys.
    12-18-08 11:19 AM
    Very difficult compared to other phones. I find sometimes when I need to go back, my finger will start to cover the cursor and then I cant see where its being placed...

They should have something pop up that shows the text zoomed in and when you move your finger you can see the cursor in a bubble and know exactly where to pinpoint it..
    12-18-08 11:22 AM
    Yeah I have a hard time with that too. Wish there were arrow keys.
    You guys don't need to do that! Click in the general area that your misspelled letter is. The touch the screen (without clicking) and hold your finger there until the blue cursor box turns into a outlined black box. You can then push this box left, right, up, down, wherever, until you get to the spot that you need to edit. Then use the backspace, delete the letter, replace the letter... and voila! You have edited text.
    12-18-08 11:24 AM
    You guys don't need to do that! Click in the general area that your misspelled letter is. The touch the screen (without clicking) and hold your finger there until the blue cursor box turns into a outlined black box. You can then push this box left, right, up, down, wherever, until you get to the spot that you need to edit. Then use the backspace, delete the letter, replace the letter... and voila! You have edited text.
    It took me weeks to figure this out, but it really does work and makes all the diffrence in the world. I use to go back and re-type whole sentences. I wish I'd known to do this since day one.
    12-18-08 11:27 AM
    Editing texts on the storm is a lot like running around on the highway, most of the time it just kills you but sometimes it works perfectly and you feel good about yourself.
    12-18-08 11:30 AM
    In my opinion it kind of sucks. I have a **** of a time pull/pushing the box to the correct spot. I sure would like an arrow or some similar method of quickly and accurately repositioning the cursor.

Blues,
    Dave
    12-18-08 11:34 AM
    In my opinion it kind of sucks. I have a **** of a time pull/pushing the box to the correct spot. I sure would like an arrow or some similar method of quickly and accurately repositioning the cursor.

Blues,
    Dave
    Yeah that damn box you have to drag around sucks. I always drag it to the right spot but then when I pull my finger off the screen it moves the box! I know it's probaly user error but it sucks.
    12-18-08 11:36 AM
    The same multitouch technology allowing for copy and paste should also be allowed to highlight mis-spelled words and replace them with properly spelled words.
    12-18-08 11:36 AM
    I had no idea. Thanks!

edit. It still is kinda hard to see under my finger since it's not transparent lol I would prefer arrow keys, but this is not bad
    12-18-08 12:35 PM
    Editing texts on the storm is a lot like running around on the highway, most of the time it just kills you but sometimes it works perfectly and you feel good about yourself.
    That actually makes a lot of sense, and the more you run around on the highway the better you get at dodging the cars.

Seriously, I didn't know about this feature until about a week ago. It actually works very well for me.
    12-18-08 12:50 PM
    wow! thanks!! i never knew about the black box!!!
    12-18-08 12:56 PM
    For some reason, I can't get the little clear box to show up when I am trying to edit and move my cursor. It worked on the phone at verizon, so I know it's possible, just not on my phone. Any suggestions?
    12-19-08 10:23 PM

A good video on how to edit text.
    12-19-08 10:34 PM
    it still irritates me as it is not user friendly but I've adapted. It's fine. Not as much of an issue when I first got it. it's not as easy as when you have a ball for scrolling.
    12-19-08 10:52 PM
    lol, and a "girl" finds the correct way to do it, yet again.
    12-19-08 11:04 PM
    Yeah I can honestly say I have had no problems with this feature at all. It works everytime & I've even managed to impress a few people with it. Then again, I haven't had 95% of the other problems people reported either.
    12-19-08 11:10 PM

A good video on how to edit text.
    Ya, they key to the 'Box cursor' is to put the blue cursor near your typo, then place your finger FAR away from the clue cursor and hover until Blue cursor -->Box cursor, then move as desired.

The problem with this is that it is very difficult to do when trying to type in places with limited room (renaming a picture file, browser form, etc.)
    12-19-08 11:25 PM
    I had no idea. Thanks!

edit. It still is kinda hard to see under my finger since it's not transparent lol I would prefer arrow keys, but this is not bad
    you dont have to hover RIGHT on the cursor.. as long as your finger is on any area where youve written text, the box WILL hollow and you can move it around. i had the same issue where i couldnt see it.. just place your finger to the left / right of the cursor (still in the text area, cant be down near another txt or msg) and it works great
    12-20-08 12:08 AM
    After I perfected this move, typing was a lot easier. I also turned off auto correct. I got tired of adding words/phrases/slang to the custom dictionary. This was a real nuisance when texting
    12-20-08 12:19 AM
    I only find it difficult when skiing over moguls...
    12-20-08 12:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD