Is it possible to put a direct connect call in private (off speakerphone) in the middle of a conversation?? Every other nextel phone I've had you just hit the top left button in order to do it. I did find function where you can set to have it one way or the other; but could find no way to easily switch in the middle of a direct connect conversation.
    12-18-08 07:33 AM
    Try the "$" key during the call. I tired it, and it worked for me.
    12-19-08 12:19 PM
    Is your speaker in direct connect loud enough? Mine is way too low which has never been a problem on older Nextel phones.
    12-20-08 05:18 PM
    The "$" worked on my 8350i for phone calls but not on direct connect. Also, my old 7100i would automatically put the direct connect in private when I selected the Vibrate or Quiet profiles. This 8350i doesn't do that, even though I have it set to mute in the profiles.

Is anyone else having that problem?
    12-22-08 08:05 AM
    Well after lots of trail and error; I figured out how to do it (sort of). While in direct connect hit your menu button for list of options; then hit activate handset and it will put your dc in private. Kind of a pain but it does work. I am having the same problem with the volume; my beep is to loud and my speaker is not loud enough during a conversation!!
    12-22-08 02:02 PM
    Yes my speaker phone works but is just way too low. I also haven't been able to shut off the chirp when I have the phone on quiet. Strange
    12-22-08 04:58 PM
    almost forgot about this issue......
    12-25-08 03:55 PM
    when in DC, push ALT and $ and it will switch to handset, you might get a popup about inserting symbol blah blah, but ignore it with the back button, to go back to speakerphone, hit ALT and $ again.

as for volume, while engaged in a DC call, push the volume up key on the right hand side all the way up (or down) to control the volume.

HTH

Melis
    01-09-09 05:22 PM
    Maybe there is a way to change the convience button on the right hand side to Activate Handset during direct connect?

I know mine is set to 'Camera' which I dont think I really need...unless I want to get some shots of a BART cop blasting someone... =\
    01-09-09 06:07 PM
    I think some where in the option / screen keyboard setting you can resign the shortcut buttons
    01-11-09 08:09 AM
    Maybe there is a way to change the convience button on the right hand side to Activate Handset during direct connect?

I know mine is set to 'Camera' which I dont think I really need...unless I want to get some shots of a BART cop blasting someone... =\
    SOOOO not funny. I live right by Oakland...
    01-11-09 03:27 PM
    Having the same problem with the speakerphone. I want to be able to turn the speakerphone on or off for direct connect while not being in a direct connect conversation. I also want to have an icon that always tells me if the direct connect speakerphone is on or off, just like the regular nextels do.
    03-02-09 09:54 PM
    Adjust the volume for the direct connect while in a call with others. This will allow you to adjust your volume and and test it. Once it is set, unless you hard reset your device this setting will stick. Just like the 880,580,560,530,930,870,860,i95, i90,i60,i1000(you get the point)

Also this is from BB Support:
    To configure the Direct Connect� service options, complete the following steps:

1. On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, open the Phone application.
    2. Display the menu and click Options > Direct Connect.
    3. Select the Direct Connect option.
    4. Select the appropriate options in the fields you wish to modify.
    5. Display the menu, and click Save.
    You will need to change this if necessity requires it.

And to the issues with DC volume.
    With Nextel phones DC volume adjustment was always only accessable when DC is active.
    I have an i530, i560, i880 and an 8350i in front of me now. And have used Nextel since the i500, i700 days.
    The voice is the active calling mode and volume adjustment applies to what is active.
    I have tried it on everyone's phone here(just to be sure I'm not crazy, have had some incredible luck or my memory is not faulty) and it still works the same.

Also the $ key has a Speaker icon in the alt space above the $ icon and should activate as a speaker button when DC is active. You should be able to go from mic to speaker while a DC is active by just pressing the $/speaker button. If this is not working, it may be defective or broken.

And as for the last, the Icon on a Nextel phone that is called a "direct connect speakerphone on or off button," Is just a speaker phone on or off button. If you press the key on the top of the phone that is rounded and has an icon for speaker on it, it will answer the call when the flip is closed and put it in spkr mode. if you do the same with a flip open it will activate or deactivate the spkr. the same for a DC call. or in the case of the multi-media phones the MP3 player was the same. The icon on the screen was just a rudimentary way of showing a speaker on or the mic on.(spkr with a line through it or not)

I'm sure more developments are on the way......
    03-03-09 01:59 AM
    Thank you thank you thank you! The DC options from the phone menu worked! My kiddo got ahold of my phone and managed to set my typing to put funky symbols in as well as turn my DC speaker off. Thank God for forum!
    07-27-10 08:06 PM
    I usually put my phone in 'vibration' mode, and when the phone is in that mode, the speaker for DC is turned off automatically.
    07-28-10 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD